Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect

Go down 
+7
IronDemon
Equal
arrowdynamic
nightmare
Archimedes
Gauge
Instructor
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Empty
PostSubject: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="postcontent restore">[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :

Nineteen-year-old Coltin Boggs, 26-year-old William Nelson and 21-year-old Justin Draeges were talking outside of Brazos Valley Mixed Martial Arts in the Kroger shopping center, where the three of them train, when they heard a woman cry out nearby, Boggs said.

“We just heard this scream,” Boggs said. “It sounded like she was yelling, ‘My purse!’ ‘My purse!’ and she raised her hands up like she was saying ‘please help.’”

Having competed and trained at MMA for three years, Boggs said what happened next was natural.
“I snatched him in an overhook and an underhook, and proceeded to take him down,” Boggs said. “I grabbed the arm that he had reached for the gun with and put it across my leg, creating a fulcrum point, where I could have broken his arm if he moved. I made sure to tell him, ‘We are trained. We can hurt you. Don’t try and fight us.’”

Police reports of the events Tuesday did not indicate that Muckleroy was armed.

“I don’t think he actually had a gun,” Boggs said. “It was him trying to get us to back off. It didn’t work.”

Boggs said he kept the suspect in a position called “knee-on-belly.” Nelson had his leg against the man’s body and his foot against his hip so that Muckleroy wouldn’t kick them, Boggs said.
Although the victim of the attempted theft is certainly singing the MMA fighters’ praises, local law enforcement said they don’t advise community members to do what Boggs and Nelson did.

“Although what they did was awesome and we greatly appreciate it, they were at high risk of injury,” College Station police Sgt. Matt Ford said. “If a civilian can follow a suspect safely and keep us updated on where he is and where he is heading, it prevents the chance that they could be injured. The suspect may have a weapon and can injure civilians, making a bad situation worse. I don’t want to encourage anyone to go hands-on with someone.”
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm

I partially agree with the police position in this matter. If feasible, they should have followed the guy. The exception is if observing would mean the continued victimization of the woman, or if they see him gearing up to strike someone else.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:13 am

Good thing there were more than one of them, and only one of him; it seems like if you try and grapple or pin someone with an accomplice you would usually give the accomplice an opening. But they had a good handle on the situation and it sounds like a lot of good came out of it.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 am

awesome guys. I wish i could do some "hands-on" to those criminals
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Maybe you guys don't think this is important but I would be steaming mad if someone snatched my wallet and I lost all my cash and had to cancel all my cards and got my identity stolen because they have my health card and all that crap in my wallet.
The police would never catch a purse snatcher if he got away, they wouldn't even try because it would be such low priority.
For this reason and for compassions sake (because I know how angry it would make anyone else too) I wouldn't just let the guy get away with the purse, especially if I was with 3 psysically superior guys against one straggley purse snatcher.
Archimedes wrote:
Good thing there were more than one of them, and only one of him; it seems like if you try and grapple or pin someone with an accomplice you would usually give the accomplice an opening. But they had a good handle on the situation and it sounds like a lot of good came out of it.
did you even think about your comment efore you posted it?
He is a purse snatcher
Have you ever read about a purse snatcher that works with a partner?
Grappling has nothing to do with being overwhelmed by 2 opponents, whether you are standing, sitting, backflipping, cartwheeling or beatboxing you will be overwhelmed by 2 opponents.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 pm

But you're not angry?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Purse snatchers do sometimes work in groups of two or more. If the initial grabber is being chased, he'll run into an alley where his friends are waiting for the would-be hero. Look for these guys in the fancy restaurant districts and arts centers of your town.

And just because you are outnumbered does not mean you will lose. That is a loser's mentality, and a dangerous one for a crime patrolling RLSH to have. I've had to fight multiple opponents on several occasions, and I believe others on this forum have been in similar, if not worse, situations.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 am

Violence is unpredictable. Before you know you are surrounded by nazi frogmen. It's a reason it's usually seen as the last resort. You have no idea what's in that box, and one you open it, you might not be able to close it again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 am

Gotta side with Arrow, in the sense that I'd be extremely grateful for someone taking down a thief who stole my wallet, and I'd be perfectly happy to be the one stopping the thief as well. What the hell is the point of martial arts if you don't use it? Cool
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 pm

I wasn't there, and I don't know the people involved. So I won't judge.
Back to top Go down
IronDemon

IronDemon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Martial arts is a form of self discipline. I personally don't like MMA because of the mindsets nearly all of the practitioners get from learning it. It's a Sport Fight style, there's no mental discipline to it. I used to practice Brazilian Jiujitsu, which was one of the first fighting styles fitted into MMA.

Asian Martial Arts, such as Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun - Southern Fist. Shaolin Kempo, Aikkido, and Taiji as well as many others from China and Japan, even Bushido, all have foundations in Mental Disciplines, Emotional Disciplines, Spiritual Disciplines and Physical Disciplines. These forms all train the users to think before they act, and to never use martial arts unless it's absolutely necessary. If you look around you'l find a few heroic deeds of people using MMA to help people. but I bet you'll find more stories of people harming others outright because they think they're the next Iceman.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Sat May 25, 2013 6:08 pm

There's sports with no mental discipline?
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Sun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Equal is that you on the picture?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon May 27, 2013 10:30 am

Iron Demon:

I don't agree with what you are saying. To imply that martial arts has mental discipline, while sports don't? That's just not true. Sports do have mental discipline. The difference between martial arts and sports is that one is for killing people and one is designed to be safe.

Also, hate to break it to you, but a lot of the most popular martial arts are practiced as sport rather than as legitimate arts of a martial nature. Tae Kwon Do being a good example.

There is only one art of killing. Everything else is merely a fraction of that art, be it Judo, Karate, or what have you.
Back to top Go down
IronDemon

IronDemon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Tue May 28, 2013 12:52 am

Not that kind of mental discipline. think a bit more on the varying degrees of mental education. knowing when and when not to use certain levels of force. Most of the people who practice MMA don't ever take the time to learn the mental disciplines on self control. You know what they do afterwards? They hurt people. There was a guy on here who was talking about almost getting mugged before he talked the two muggers out of it. He made a comment that one of them took his shoes off, possibly he was going to use some kind of martial art. There's a difference between the mental disciplines you learn in sports, like actual sports, like foot ball, and baseball and basketball in comparison to something that was originally developed as a blood sport.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Tue May 28, 2013 6:51 pm

This guys must be an expert.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 12:49 am

Iron Demon: Could you please cite examples of MMA fighters who have been convicted of violent crimes, and direct us to where you found your information. I know a lot of MMA fighters, and if they heard you calling them violent, they'd beat you within an inch of your -- I mean they would laugh at you, knowingly. Really though, you shouldn't talk about these things of which you are uninformed. Maybe you should actually meet or train with some of these guys before you judge the entire discipline.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 4:25 am

Martial Arts could be used for other
Things besides hurting people
I've used it while shoveling
Snow to help keep my back
Straight and lift with my
Legs while picking
Up large blocks of ice
I've also used it
While talking down a
Drunk by timing his punches
And side stepping when he
Charges at me I'm still trying
To get a handle on the drug
Dealers that want to take
Over the playground
There arw other people
Who would like to see
Them gone but are too
Scared to do anything
About it or say anything
To the police
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Polar you speak like a poet
Back to top Go down
Defie

Defie

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:41 pm

IronDemon wrote:
Martial arts is a form of self discipline. I personally don't like MMA because of the mindsets nearly all of the practitioners get from learning it. It's a Sport Fight style, there's no mental discipline to it. I used to practice Brazilian Jiujitsu, which was one of the first fighting styles fitted into MMA.

Not true, actually. You get the same kind of discipline in MMA as you would get in other martial arts for the most part, minus the spiritual aspects. There is a shit ton of mental discipline in today's MMA. Hell, Brazilian Jiujitsu IS a mental discipline. One of the reasons I enjoy watching Cage matches is that if you look closely enough; looking beyond the violence, you see a whole other match taking place in the minds of the contestants. The moment the fighters touch gloves, they are looking for openings... struggling to anticipate their opponent's strategy, while they attempt to calm and center themselves in the process.

MMA really is a thinking man's game.

IronDemon wrote:
Asian Martial Arts, such as Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun - Southern Fist. Shaolin Kempo, Aikkido, and Taiji as well as many others from China and Japan, even Bushido, all have foundations in Mental Disciplines, Emotional Disciplines, Spiritual Disciplines and Physical Disciplines. These forms all train the users to think before they act, and to never use martial arts unless it's absolutely necessary. If you look around you'l find a few heroic deeds of people using MMA to help people. but I bet you'll find more stories of people harming others outright because they think they're the next Iceman.

I think you're getting MMA students mixed up with street fighters. MMA guys are competitors. Street fighters are Wannabees. It's usually the so-called "street fighters" who claim Anderson Silva-level of skill who start harm others outright.

Back to top Go down
Rfox

Rfox

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: IM BATMAN   Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:27 pm

OK...i just wanna say that, we are not trying to curse manslaughter or any degree murder, but learning any martial skills for self-defense will be useful. Besides, if you can't help your self  then how are you going to help the public ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect    Martial arts enthusiast describes apprehension of purse-snatching suspect  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1