Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Huzzah" moments in martial arts

Go down 
+12
One Tin Soldier
Gauge
Equal
arrowdynamic
Polarman
Flora V. Arbor
hiddensparrow
Instructor
CrusaderPrime
Urban Avenger
Rook
Nintyplayer
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nintyplayer

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

"Huzzah" moments in martial arts Empty
PostSubject: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 am

I've been learning kung fu for about 5 months now, and one of the basic stretches that we do is when we spread our legs out to the sides (essentially doing the splits), put our hands on the outsides of our feet, and then pull our upper body down so that our forehead touches the floor. Today, for the first time, I was able to touch my forehead to the floor. It was incredibly painful at first, but now I feel like I've accomplished something great.

What were some "huzzah" moments that you encountered while studying martial arts?
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Huzzah, indeed! Congrats!

The first time I got a kata correct all the way through springs immediately to mind for me. For some reason, those are the most challenging for me.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Very muxh of an accomplishment.

Wish I could still do that.
Back to top Go down
CrusaderPrime

CrusaderPrime

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 am

My most recent "Huzzah" moment was today, while going thru 4 station training (for speed and accuracy) I was told that for my next test I had to break 3 boards instead of one ( I was using a knife hand strike on a 250# bag and knocking it down) .
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 am

Boards don't hit back.

- Bruce Lee
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am

My very first practice...

It was like finally finding out why I was here on the Earth. Right away I knew, this was for me.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Heehee! Today as is a propos for Maslenitsa this year, I had a round of fun sport-sparring with a buddy who happens to be a professional Strong Man. ;D

...Even got him a couple of times!

Great times, sword-sparring in the snow @ The Forge.

^_^ \m/ Huzzah!

~HS. :> \/
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 am

if you think that high kicks help you fight,
remember how easy it is to get your feet gabbed if you lift them
up and hand them to your opponent.

sliding two inches to the side SWIFTLY is more valuable
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 pm

if knocked down grab handful of snow or dirt and throw in opponent's face then trip him and clap both hands over his ears
If opponent tries to kick you grab his foot pull boot off and toss it somewhere while throwing him backwards
foot in air also leaves groin vulnrable to a good kick too especially if person falls while opponent is still holding the foot
Someone grabs you from behind and holds arms down or behind your back
Smack back of head into opponent face Drop all your weight and slam down on both feet
grab groin and pinch as hard as you can
then elbows to the stomache
If person hands in front of face
bite him hard
Blocks you from breathing Go limp play dead then when he loosens up surprise him with a kick to the groin and scream to draw attention
My shovel may be a tool fro breaking ice and snow as well as for sliding on hills and down the stairs
My body is the real wepon of self defence
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
if you think that high kicks help you fight,
remember how easy it is to get your feet gabbed if you lift them
up and hand them to your opponent.

sliding two inches to the side SWIFTLY is more valuable
having fight strategy is more valuable.
Strategy and tactics is everything.
Will you be ready to catch a quick round kick to the head after you are doubled by a hook the the body and cover your body with your hands?
Whats your next move (if you aren't knocked out)? Will you try to avoid the power shots by getting distance or by closing the distance? Either way you prepare yourself, an elbow or knee for a stepping in opponent, a roundhouse to the leg or body of a stepping out.
Will you see that my combo worked and then try the same combo? If so a counter if easy and then a leg catch is even easier.
Its all tactics, and everything is a tool. Even silly bruce lee kicks, nobody would see them coming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I've had a couple.

Once was when I had to break a board with a
side kick as part of a low-level Tae kwon Do test, and breaking it on
the first try, the guy holding the board kind of shouted a pleasing
"Yeah!" that felt pretty good.

After the last test I took in that
school, I got a lot of compliments on how precise and strong my katas
were. That was a nice ego boost, LOL.

Of course, these days I don't take stock in those kind of achievements. Like Bruce Lee said, "boards don't hit back". Also, "the fancy mess of martial arts has solidified what was once fluid".
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 pm

I've had a couple on the street and many more on my job. When I can handle bad situations, avoiding the potencial ugly consequenses, it's pretty sweet.

MA works best with descalation techniques. What I love most about aikido is that it have made me good at not getting hit.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 pm

arrowdynamic: It's very hard to strategize a street fight, because no matter how much you plan, the fight will always take a turn you did not account for.

What you have explained is being adaptive. No matter how technically skilled you may be, if you cannot adapt to your opponent, you cannot maximize the potential for victory.

Being highly adaptable means you must have many different skills for many different scenarios. The greater your skill set, the greater number of possible solutions.

Take a carpenter as an example. He may be the world's most skilled woodcutter, but he cannot build a house if he's never learned to use a hammer.

Likewise, if you only learn to throw punches, then you don't have many options for success if someone applies something as simple as a bear hug.

I'm not saying it isn't important to keep thinking about strategy and tactics in a fight, but most street fights won't last long enough to do more than find an opening to exploit. You're not going ten rounds, so you won't have much time to analyze and prepare a response. Adaptivity is the more valuable commodity while in the thick of the fight.
Back to top Go down
One Tin Soldier

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:19 am

Found this thread and thought I'd revive it.  I was in a tournament once in my teens which was oh so long ago, competing in a swordfighting event using bamboo shinai.  The amount of padding we had to wear made it really awkward and made me think this must be what it was like for samurai to fight in their full armor.  I was fighting a guy from a nearby town and he thrust at me and came in underneath my face mask and bloodied my front teeth, an illegal move that counted against him, though it keeps me humble in thinking that if it had been a real fight with real swords that thrust would have cleaved my face in half.  But under tournament conditions it just served to piss me off, and when we again engaged I came in under his guard and whacked him across his chest padding so hard that it echoed through the auditorium and made the crowd go "OOOOOOoooooo...."  I won that match, and ended up coming in second place overall in the event.  A huzzah moment indeed.
Back to top Go down
MapleDefender

MapleDefender

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:16 am

My "Huzzah" moment was my first full contact continuous bout in open belt competition

I was going up against an older, wiser Karateka blue belt that was hard as nails and his sensei liked to "up teach" his student (meaning if you were graded behind your skill level, his blue belt was at the same level as other sensei's purple belt)

I wasn't nervous, I was anxious.

I had fought before, but that was amongst my peers and within my level

I was aware that this man was up taught, and all I wanted was to see where my skill was at.

The surprise was all mine. Weaving under his head kick and slipping his punches, my opening was there a left to his center of mass, a right to his ribs and he tried to disengage

A right leg kick to his left leg saw him dropping and two straight punches to the side of his head put him on the mat dazed.

That was the moment I knew the confidence I had was there for a reason.
Back to top Go down
pongo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:17 am

My first boxing match, I went two rounds with a guy that had much more experience and about 10 kilos and 6 inches on me. Despite being scared as hell I pushed the fight, kept attacking and being aggressive. The ref stopped me, I was TKO'd. I lost to the better man but I made him earn his win.
Made me realise what I'm made of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:41 pm

The first time I had my ass handed to me. I was heading back to my cell when six other inmates through a Blanket Party for me. Getting blanket partied is when a bunch of guys through a blanket over you and beat the shit out of you. They were jumping me into their little tag crew CBSK. I sustained a broken nose and a broken wrist and had to have a couple surgeries to piece the bones back together with metal and bone from my hip. I was thirteen when I learned the most crucial aspect in a street fight: How to take a beating. I used to ball lik a baby and assume a fetal position but over the years I gradually less and less sensitive to getting my ass kicked and now it takes quite a bit to keep me down. I learned that real violence is cheap and dirty and nothing like the karate kid and other movies. Doesn't tak long before your fear of getting beat up just vanishes after a while; you know you've been through worse and you can get through this too; the more you do the more you can do.
Back to top Go down
MapleDefender

MapleDefender

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:08 am

I will agree that losing can teach you your limitations and how to work around them, and move past them. But In my experience, experience with others and training others, you can't have positive success through continuous failure. 

Learning how to survive damage in a fight is essential, but its not as important as not taking damage (through effective defense or movement) or striking first fast and hard.

Taking sustained damage is just going to ruin your body and over time those injuries stack up and compound any issues someone might have with defending yourself.

What were you in Juvie for? Theft?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Losing in an instructional environment, with an analysis of the event afterward, is quite helpful, and an educational opportunity.  Losing street fights teaches little, and demoralizes one to the point where they rationalize by saying they can now take a beating.  John has gotten beyond that point, but many do not.

Learn to defend against major damage.  Learn how street fighters, and even trained fighters, telegraph their intent.  Learn to fight injured.  Learn to survive an attack by multiple opponents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Indeed.

After a while my "fighting style" consists of throwing tables and chairs and shoving their faces into walls repeatedly and using fire extinguishers on the wall for a blunt object; kicking them in the ballls, chomping down on their ears or hands, choking the crap out of them, pulling hair....I don't have a very graceful fighting form but I'm a lot better now than when I first got my ass kicked. Just start moving. My arch enemy in the beginning was freezing. "Fight flight or freeze" once I could force myself to start moving I pretty much just threw myself in the right direction. Now my style is like that, only with some dashes of Krav Maga and like, hardly any fraction og shaolin kempo (I only took a few weeks of classes but learned a couple cool things) to give me a better stance and not be so random and crazy haha (although random and crazy works pretty good sometimes; ever have a little kid jump up into your face and wrap his skinny legs around your neck and start sqeezing with all his little boy strength? It is quite a sight. XD

I was originally locked up for making a terroristic threat on a Military Missile Defense Base, Fort Greely, in 2007. I got out in 2010. That's what they called it anyway. What really happened? I was twelve year old kid who threw a temper tantrum and said I wished everyone would just die. The school board over reacted and that one event snowballed for three long years making me who i am today....now that I think about it, If I had never gone to school that day I may not even be me today. Trippy.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Know a martial arts called sayaw ng kamatayan? Which means deadly dance or something like that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Dancing isn't advised; nothing fancy. Run away or create a window to do so. Focus on trying to run faster and start the krav maga self defense system for basic skills, be aware of your surroundings and know how you can interact with it, leave the scene before it begins.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 pm

That is a martial art that is too deadly.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:34 am

That's why you learn appropriate force. Anything can be too deadly, if you put enough force behind it; scale back just enough, and you can get out alive, without killing anybody. That's what training is for.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:34 am

As long as it's a combat-effective style, that is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Huzzah" moments in martial arts   "Huzzah" moments in martial arts Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Huzzah" moments in martial arts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next