Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Baton, club, and bat training

Go down 
+3
Adsum
Anyman
GreyWolf
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:31 am

Maybe I can find it for sale at a hardware store?
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 pm

First, sorry for the double post: thought the place had editing enabled for my posts ^^;

I was thinking......any idea what is the combat style used for the End of Line Club fight in Tron: Legacy? The character Quorra fights with a baton and a disk [could be replaced by a miniature riot shield or something] and uses an intresting style.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:50 am

Hmm, the fight coordinator was Aaron Toney, after looking at his resume, looks like he mostly does Tae Kwon Do and gymnastics, no mention of what, if any weapons he trains in.

If you want to see some other good weapons fights, I'll recommend
Heroes Of The East (1978)
Legendary Weapons of China (1982)
Game of Death (1978)
The Raid (2011)
Old Boy (2003)
A Grande Arte (1991)
SPL: Sha po lang (2005)
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Tae Kwan Do and gymnastics? Damn it, I can't even do a backflip!

I'm gonna look for those movies. I also have a couple of old kung-fu manuals, might have something usefull for Baton fights.

Something that's been on my mind.....can medieval swordplay be incorporated in baton/club fighting in any form?
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:23 am

Sure, a few of those old fechtbooks have staff and barehanded techniques, disarms and such. They were written for duelling and self-defense, not sport. Even SCA and Medievalist-type practice can help train the right reflexes for a clash with weapons.
I always loved the Murderstroke, where you hold the sword by the blade and brain the other guy with the hilt and pommel, like a mace. But I've never been convinced by "End Him Rightly", where you unscrew the pommel and throw it. With those old books you have to experiment for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:52 am

Well, any ideas where I might get medieval swordfighting booklets? I only manage to get the Kung Fu ones.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:57 am

There's a few resources online.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:52 pm

And here's a manual of fencing with a chapter on singlestick.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 am

Wow, thank you so much! I'll have to study this asap! Hopefully this will prevent an other debarcle like last friday.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:05 pm

? What happened on Friday?
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Oh I strained my arm, which has a chronic lesion. I got hit there a couple of times and now I'm still recovering. That, and I'm away from my rounds and worrying if something happens on my abcense.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Nasty, I hope you feel better. I usually take omega 3 fish oil for that kind of nagging injury, as an anti-inflammatory. 
When I'm training, it's an excuse to practice my one-armed boxing, like Jimmy Wang Yu, lol.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 am

I use a homemade lotion of crushed eucalyptus leaves, lemongrass, mint, pine and clove oil, all mixed in sweet almond oil. I used it to massage my arm, and the clove oil serves and both anti-inflamatory and anesthetic. Smile

I usualy use this downtime to practice my left handed gaelic stick fencing, but right now I'm in northwest Portugal saying goodbye to my sister as she atempts to take a degree.

One arm boxing? how do you do that?
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:06 am

Just try to use a power lead, like Bruce Lee or Jack Dempsey, an extended thrust like a one-inch punch or a fencing lunge with the power coming from the rear leg kicking the ground. Throw power leads instead of just jabs because you don't have a cross, try and hook off the jab for a knock-out blow, defend and attack on the half-beat from a parry because you're defending and countering with the same hand, use your elbow like a second hand to block, throws you can do with one arm, like a hip toss or a foot sweep.

It can feel awkward if you're forced to switch your normal lead, but it pays off in increasing your versatility.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks! I gotta try that one with my left arm. I usualy fight right handed [I'm ambidextrous] and this will be an opportunity Smile
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:40 am

I'll also recommend Bruce Tegner's "Stick Fighting For Self-Defense", and Remy Presas' "Modern Arnis".
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:56 am

Gotta look it up, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:30 am

And although I haven't been able to track down a copy myself, George B. Wallace's "Stick Fighting For Self Defense" comes highly recommended. I was impressed by his knife book, and I hear he also did one on the yawara stick.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks. I'll try to find it and post it here for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:50 am

That'd be great, his stuff is really hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Well, couldn't find it. But I did found a website all dedicated to cane fighting, and several reviews:

Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 am

That's as far as I got , too. Good site, though, I love those old singlestick and La Canne books.
Nothing like thrashing a bounder with stout hickory to invigorate one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Wow; very good stuff. Thanks for sharing guys. I'm considering getting a Baton; mostly for use as a glass breaker (they come with special caps for that too). Could come in handy as a defense weapon too though. Good to train with nonetheless for in the event I don't have my handgun or karambit; (knife's a back-up to the gun; the stick would be a back-up to the knife. ....Boxing a back-up to the stick haha. 

When choosing a defense weapon, make sure it's as effective at stopping violence as you can get. When people get threatened with a knife or stick, they could take it as a challenge, and decide to escalate things. If they're threatened with a gun pointed at their head from a distance though, chances are they're not going to be quite as brave; they might even get the deer-in-the-headlights expression, petrified with fear lol. And that's where most of the guns true stopping power comes from haha; only a true idiot would continue to escalate things while you have a gun on them lol. XD 

Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:58 am

Another one I'd like to find is Michael Echanis' "Basic Stick Fighting for Combat", or his two books on knives.
Back to top Go down
Jarvis_AI

Jarvis_AI

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Well, haven't found much books lately, but I did found a place to get retractible batons if you live in Europe.

They deal in a number of items usefull for our Craft....sadly, I don't think there are many europeians here that could benefit from this info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baton, club, and bat training   Baton, club, and bat training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Baton, club, and bat training
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next