Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.

Go down 
+4
Daremyth
Ghost hawk
Urban Avenger
Shade
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shade

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Empty
PostSubject: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:00 pm

For the past two years, Montreal's has had its very own superhero. Our superhero isn't part of the urban clan of crime fighters called the New Yo​rk Initiative or the slick looking Real Life Super Hero Project. Our super hero is short, slim, vegan, identifies as a queer radical feminist, and prefers to be referred to using the pronoun "they." So, in short, they are not what you'd expect of a super hero.
Meet LightStep.
LightStep is one of a burgeoning community of so-called Real-Life Superheroes (RLSH)—ordinary people from Argentina to the UK who have decided to patrol their local streets in costume doing good deeds. These deeds can range from something as simple as helping to change a ti​re in Brampton, handing​ out socks and mitts to the homeless in Windsor, or to straight-up vigilantism that led one Washington-based RLSH to being arrested for as​sault. But LightStep believes de-escalation and harm reduction training are much more important than a uniform, a sidekick, or pepper-spraying a bunch o​f people you suspect are in a street brawl (like the RLSH in Washington did)."People identify instantly with the idea of a superhero, someone who's anonymous, but public, doing good deeds, for whatever reason," LightStep tells me. "But that's not what I'm doing... For me, LightStep is a philosophy of being at the right place at the right time."
http://www.vice.com/read/i-spent-a-night-patrolling-with-lightstep-montreals-real-life-super-hero
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:53 am

I did not know that.
Back to top Go down
Ghost hawk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 am

I have talked to light step online before he's on my Facebook
Back to top Go down
Shade

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:12 am

Lightstep prefers the non-gendered "they", as in, "they are on my Facebook". :-)
Back to top Go down
Daremyth

Daremyth

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:51 am

Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Shade wrote:
Lightstep prefers the non-gendered "they", as in, "they are on my Facebook". :-)

Thank you for pointing this out. I'm the same way, actually, preferring neutral pronouns, but that's something it can be difficult to indicate to others.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:45 am

There are some neutral pronouns like "zhe" and "hir", but they always make me feel like I just got back from the dentist.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Cornelius Brunner wrote:
There are some neutral pronouns like "zhe" and "hir", but they always make me feel like I just got back from the dentist.
"They" is already a gender neutral pronoun, and it is inoffensive to apply to a self-identified male or female because it makes no assumptions about gender. There is no need for the introduction of made-up words.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 pm

Language should be plastic and adapt as we learn how to best express ourselves.  The issue is that English lacks a singular gender neutral pronoun besides 'it'. They/them would be fine if it weren't weird grammatically. (It's plural and takes plural verb conjugations.)

Although I have no high hopes of others remembering or respecting this, I prefer e/ys/em in place of he/his/him, she/her/her, and they/their/them. It's like if you left the 'h' off of male pronouns.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm

It seems to me that the language has been adapting to increasingly accepting the use of they/them as singular pronouns. Nonetheless, I'll respect your preference. Not that I imagine I'll have tremendous occasion to refer to you in the third person.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Heheh. Yeah, it rarely comes up.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:58 pm

The fuck are you people talking about.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Alternate sexuality/gender identity, is what they're talking about
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.   VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

VICE article about Lightstep of Montreal.
Page 1 of 1