Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Seek Professional Training

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Seek Professional Training Empty
PostSubject: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:31 am

When seeking out martial arts training, always find a reputable instructor in your area. Books, videos, and online forums are NOT a substitute for actual hands-on professionally guided training and development.

I've witnessed an increase in backyard martial arts clubs, usually a group of young bucks with a lot of testosterone and not enough caution, and have seen first hand the unfortunate results. Lack of safety, ignorance of proper training methods, crappy diets, over-use of weight gain and other "nutritional" supplements.. All lead to injuries, ridiculous self-confidence in worthless techniques, and time-wasting mental masturbation. None of this is suitable or realistic for someone interested in developing actual street capable protective abilities.

It doesn't do any good to ask what martial art you should train in if you only have access to a boxing gym. Boxing becomes the obvious choice. You gain firsthand experience, exercise training, and knowledgeable guidance. No matter where you go from there, you've developed a realistic base to help springboard you on to other pursuits.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Faust

Faust

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Although after you have that springboard base for a while and have developed your body awareness, sometimes books and videos can become very educational since it's not just seeing what someone's doing, but it's understanding the limits and application of biomechanics within the human body. 
Something you can learn from videos and tutorials to help develop your physical control is tricking and gymnastics. It will make you much more aware of what you can and can't do, can be trained in your back yard, and is more of a freestyle sport than an attempt at martial arts to avoid certain training accidents from poor sparring and health
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:55 pm

I would not advise learning gymnastics by watching videos and practicing in your back yard. Gymnastics injuries can be as bad or worse than self taught martial arts. And you need competent instructions and a good spotter to practice gymnastics.
Back to top Go down
Faust

Faust

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah, I don't know why I kept saying tricking and gymnastics when I only meant one. Tricking is much safer to learn on its own.
Back to top Go down
Fearnaut

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:24 am

Hell, even tricking can be dangerous, without a spot. If you're trying to self teach a wall kong, you're gonna have a bad day.

If you have nothing around you, but boxing, it is the obvious choice, but there may be other options, like getting in on a couple practices with the local highschool wrestling team, with approval, of course. If you go in and just start grabbing young boys, you move from RLSH to RLSV.

Outside of that, I don't ever recommend those mail order instructional videos. Sure, monkey see-monkey do, but more often than not, monkey see-monkey do wrong. You might think you're throwing the punch, just like the guy in the video, but...probably not.

If you have no access to any kind of fight training, stick with simple calisthenics and plyometrics, then put up some feelers for locals who have experience in some kind of martial art. Also, you can safely find a tree and work some Sumo teppo, to build up some upper body strength and toughen you up, a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seek Professional Training   Seek Professional Training Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Seek Professional Training
Page 1 of 1