Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What skills should a superhero have?

Go down 
+6
Flora V. Arbor
Gray
Roswell
The Watchman
Wolf
Dark Guardian
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What skills should a superhero have? Empty
PostSubject: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 am

Let's just throw out different skills that are great for a real life superhero to have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:32 am

Uhm..... I have fashion sense?

Lol alright that isn't alright, but uhm, yeah, other than being a cheery person I don't have much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Well, at the very base, good people skills as well as communication skills are absolutely necessary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Hardwire wrote:
Well, at the very base, good people skills as well as communication skills are absolutely necessary.

Oh things like that?!

Well then, I have good people skills too. Working in a grocery store for about three years can sorta do that to you. o.o; God I have been working there for foreverrrrrrrr.

Let's see, I can bake, make DIY shirts from tees, uhm.... be a shoulder to cry on, and someone to listen to your problems and give ya advice.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Self Defense/Martial Arts is extremley important for anyone who is doing patrols or crimefighting. Keep your training practical and realistic.

First aid and CPR is very important. I advise everyone to get certified. I need to go and renew my certification and look into the future get certified to be an instructor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Negotiation.

Self Defense. (aka, 'Aggressive Negotiations')

An interest in the truth, even when finding that is unpopular.

Journalistic Integrity.

Respect.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Parkour is a great skill to have. It is a good workout and can be useful if you ever have to chase someone or run to safety.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 pm

I've always agreed with you DG when it comes to CPR/First Aid. You know that feeling you got as a kid when you first took martial arts and thought you were a badass? I got that feeling after finishing my CPR/First Aid training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 am

Common sense, Martial art skills, Communication skills, free running skills(as mentioned above, very fun to do btw), Weapon skilss, knowledge in citizen arrest, knowledge of what makes a good costume.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 am

Nunchuck skills, bo staff skills... I have some pretty wicked skills... A couple of the gangs at my school want me to join with...

You know what, I'm going to stop with the Napoleon Dynamite reference now. I feel so unclean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 am

You forgot computer hacking skills lol.
Parkour is a great skill it makes you feel bad ass.
It has alot more uses then you could think it can be adapted to be used in fighting.
Back to top Go down
Wolf

Wolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 am

...Modesty. Knowing your limits will keep you alive a few days longer.

-Wolf
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 am

Surviellance skills can be very useful.
It can help build a case and get a conviction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Fire-Spider wrote:
You forgot computer hacking skills lol.

That is also a professional skill; some people get paid good money working for legit companies doing computer security because it takes a very special mindset to do it correctly.

That mindset is a big part of it too; Some people just cant "Think Evil", not act on it, and use that skill to help others. Most cant, or worse they cant help but act evil as well. If you have that skill and can keep your nose clean, you are a step ahead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Investigation skills. It's pretty easy to take a P.I. correspondence course online. You can even become certified as a Private Investigator if you really want to.

Photography or Videography. Knowing how to take proper video or photo footage could actually help put criminals away, if you catch them doing something illegal. If you don't know how to white-balance your camcorder though, then you might just end up with fuzzy dark figures.

Networking skills. This might sound a little dumb, but the more people you know in your city, the more you might hear about things. I am actually terrible at this because I'm more of an introvert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Riff wrote:
Uhm..... I have fashion sense?

Lol alright that isn't alright, but uhm, yeah, other than being a cheery person I don't have much.

Not to sound vain or anything, but this is actually important. I mean if we're going to act like heroes, then we should try to look the part as well. Whiten those teeth, stay in shape, mend any torn uniforms, shine those boots....
Back to top Go down
The Watchman

The Watchman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Having a good moral compass does not hurt either. Things aren't always black and white, and sometimes those grey areas can be hard to navigate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Personally I believe we should have great interpersonal skills, look good (no one will look up to someone out of shape in spandex IMO) self defense skills and a good sense of right vs wrong-regardless of law.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:58 am

On the introverted issue, I'm actually introverted myself and have trouble with talking with people. It's part of my scarred past (they say you have to paint with dark colors to make a hero). Internet still works to make contacts, social media like twitter, facebook, and myspace (even though it's bot heaven now).

I agree about MA and parkour. PI work is good too, but I've been looking into getting this and you have to register with the State (at least in Oregon) so you might be easier to find if you do such a thing. But heck, my isp is being logged right now while I'm writing this. What's the diff?

I think ingenuity is key as well, I personally carry ordinary item weapons. Pens, pencils (pocket stick stuff), I'm also worrking on carrying old ninja weapons (modifying the egg shell "bombs" they were filled with red pepper for disorientation shall we say).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 am

Er, how about the ability to RUN? And FAST.

Let's face it, nobody here is invincible just because they don a cape and mask in order to get their kicks.

And when you decide to butt in to some of society's lesser member's dirty business, and you're cornered by a bunch of OG staight-thuggin' 'street warriors' with brawns, knives, and automatic firearms, the ability to get the hell outta there and leave matters to the police comes a bit handy.

Overall I think rational sense and the ability to be a natural people-person are what's most important. Can't have people look up to ya if yer a freakin' jerk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 am

All very good points I agree with Dark Guardian, skills that included developing self discipline are always good ones to have. Because of my early intrests and activities when I was younger I took a Police Sciences course, I recomend it for anyoen who has the time or money. It teaches about surveillance, also teaches about dealing with criminals and various other skills you can look it up on the web if you're intrested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:57 pm

~
I disagree that people should have to look good to do this work. The look is superficial to me -- I don't really care much, and if I look like hell, it wouldn't change my determination to do right. What matters is the good work, not the appearance.

And I'm often seen as "a jerk." I'm blunt, honest and forthright -- I consider this healthy. I'm okay at being a "people person" when I've wanted to be, but mostly I don't feel it's appropriate. I'm brutally honest, which often rubs insecure people very much the wrong way. To me, it's disrespectful to be dishonest with people. Diplomacy and appeasement are repulsive to me.

I'm not saying I feel an undying need to scream negative opinions at people, but I am going to tell you what I think when I believe it's worthwhile or appropriate. Often this results in weaker egos being bruised. If or when I cross the line and have been needlessly hurtful, it's equally important to me that I be responsible for such consequences and do right by those who've been inappropriately harmed.

So I guess I disagree with many of you. Good thing, too. Wouldn't we all be bored without some differences?
~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Citizen smoke, I like your attitude, ever read Winning through Intimidation? It's one of the best business books written in the last 50 years. I'd rather someone tell me they don't like me and they'll stab me in the back then lie to my face and act like my friend. I can deal with the first type and work better with them, because I know what they are going to do. The 2nd is just blindsiding. (not that your the first type, I just think honesty is much better)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 pm

~
Outcast: I've read "Winning Through Intimidation," yeah. It was just teaching aggressive manipulation, which I find lacking in genuine honesty as well. An effort to compensate for insecurities. That's not legitimate self-confidence, just... pathetic pseudo-trickery. If I mean to do someone harm, I would just harm them, no threats required. If you mean to do something, you do it, you don't waste efforts with futile, insincere threatening. I feel like I got better clarity of self-awareness when reading the Objectivist literature of Ayn Rand. That hits a lot closer to my world view than simpering "self-help" books.

But yeah, regardless, I see your point. I have always despised that two-faced bullshit. Fortunately, I've been decent at suspecting it early and avoided a lot of manipulative pricks like you're talking about.
~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What skills should a superhero have?   What skills should a superhero have? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What skills should a superhero have?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next