Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Book of Five Rings

Go down 
+4
SkyMan
Roswell
Silver Sentinel
thanatos
8 posters
AuthorMessage

The Book of Five Rings Empty
PostSubject: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Here's a book that I think everyone will find helpful.

In The Book of Five Rings , legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi, not only teaches his two handed sword style, but mental discipline as well, which is invaluable for a RLSH.

Here's a link to it:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 pm

the go-rin-no-sho
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 am

I read this a few years back. I recommend it. Unlike studying calculus in school, you can read this book and see how it applies to the work we do. That and the fact that reading helps to expand your horizons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:11 am

Thanatos,

Click it, the link works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 am

I read the book and hope to read it again. It's an excellent book on martial arts and strategy and mixed with the Art of War by Sun Tzu, it's a great combination for any warrior, violent or non.
Back to top Go down
Roswell

Roswell

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:18 am

I read the first 2/3 of B5Rs last summer, loved it, but got sidetracked with other stuff (probably video game-related) before finishing. Yep, it reminded me of the Art of War. Too bad I waited almost 20 yrs after reading the AoW before getting around to reading the B5Rs. I guess life doesn't always run in a straight line.

I'm gonna pick up the Book of Five Rings again at my local library and finish it off this time, hopefully in a week or so...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Exellent source of wisdom. Anyone who hasn't read "The Art of War" also should do so. I also recomend "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:38 pm

i own the art of war but have never been able to get around to reading it
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Is there a public source for the AoW?! I like wasting paper at the colleges expens to print up books!! Very Happy That and spending hours in front of the screen trying to read a book is not my version of a good time!!
Back to top Go down
Haroge

Haroge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

hmm, interesting as I recently read the book "Musashi" about his life and how he started as a reckless youth, and eventually got shaped in the master he was known for. That book really opened my eyes to a lot of things (although a 1280 pages read is a whole lot)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm

SkyMan wrote:
Is there a public source for the AoW?! I like wasting paper at the colleges expens to print up books!! Very Happy That and spending hours in front of the screen trying to read a book is not my version of a good time!!

you can by the art of war at barnes and noble for 5.00 in thier classics section.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:46 pm

art of war download

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dc
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 pm

I have the book about Musashi's Life - The Lone Samurai

Freaking Awesome.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32 am

There was a documentary about Musashi that was on the History channel once... It was narrated and starred in by that dude from Iron Chef America that is the head judge... cant remember hsi name, but great doc!!

Thanks DC for the download!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 am

i finally started reading my copy last night it is great
Back to top Go down
The Grey Man

The Grey Man

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Bloodletter wrote:
hmm, interesting as I recently read the book "Musashi" about his life and how he started as a reckless youth, and eventually got shaped in the master he was known for. That book really opened my eyes to a lot of things (although a 1280 pages read is a whole lot)

I'll have to try to find this ^^^ one, 1280 pages sounds like a decent afternoon's read...

As for Art of War and the Book of 5 Rings, I own both and have read them. Highly recommended for anyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book of Five Rings   The Book of Five Rings Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Book of Five Rings
Page 1 of 1