Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

anyone taking whey protein supplement?

Go down 
+3
Rook2
Bearman
!
7 posters
AuthorMessage

anyone taking whey protein supplement? Empty
PostSubject: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 pm

I got a giant tub of whey protein today.
I started training my body recently, and decided to give whey protein a try.
I wanted to get a small tub to see if it works first, but I got persuaded to buy the giant tub (2.6kg) Razz
I take it a scoop of it (with water, of course) after workout. Is that enough?
Does anyone here take them? Are there any advice?
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Ive taken protein, as well as some other things like NOXplode, creatine, and something else I cant remember the name of. I did see improvement, but nothing more than you'd get anyway from consistent, effective workouts. So it may be worth it if you can only get to a gym once a week or so, but if you can workout consistently and have the will to push yourself (safely), then my personal opinion is that theyre not worth the wild prices per tub.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 pm

I don't lift weights very much, but I always thought those protein powder drink things were meant for body builders, not the average joe. I knew this guy who used to take NOXplode. After he took it, he started trembling and couldn't hold his hand strait. And he was excited about it... All I'm saying is, be careful with those powders.
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:07 pm

DayDreamer wrote:
I don't lift weights very much, but I always thought those protein powder drink things were meant for body builders, not the average joe. I knew this guy who used to take NOXplode. After he took it, he started trembling and couldn't hold his hand strait. And he was excited about it... All I'm saying is, be careful with those powders.

For the record, ive never experienced that... nor would I be very excited about it Razz

Id prolly go to the hospital Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:13 pm

to !: It's not that expensive per day. It cost me 30 pounds to get 2.6 kg, and I drink only 25g per day. It converts to 30p per day. Even if I take double the amount, it's only 60p per day. (I can't be bothered to convert it to US dollars Razz)

to DD: I am only taking whey protein at the moment. I am now jogging everyday to charge my pokewalker get myself fit. I think it may help in recovering (if I recover faster, I can train more). I am just trying it out to see if there is any benefit, and I don't think I would be adding any stuff. It would also push me to do exercise since I don't want the money to be wasted.

btw, I think my flatmates at uni add lots of other powder (includes NO-something), and they are still alive and healthy. lol

To me, a pokewalker pedometer is really useful. It pushes me to jog everyday to get the counter up.
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Thats a good point. I guess if its in your budget and motivates you, then its a good idea. Just be safe about it so you dont get all shaky Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 pm

I actually use Whey Protein after my weight training to help replenish what I have lost in protein and to give me that extra boost that I need for the rest of the day. Sometimes if I'm running rather busy during the day and don't have time to eat something clean, I always keep some enough powder with me that I can add it to a cup of water and have that instead. But only if I don't have time to eat something clean and healthy and never in conjunction with a meal. I'm not interested in gaining weight from this which it can do if your not careful, I'm just using it to help rebuild my muscles and for that extra boost I get from it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:54 am

It'll say how many grams per scoop are in it on the side of the jug Red. A human body can digest about 32 grams every 2 hours.

If you're trying to put on some size, Try to get close to a gram per pound of Bodyweight & Lift heavy.

Don't get discouraged, younger guys have a hard time putting on Muscle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Superhero wrote:
It'll say how many grams per scoop are in it on the side of the jug Red. A human body can digest about 32 grams every 2 hours.

If you're trying to put on some size, Try to get close to a gram per pound of Bodyweight & Lift heavy.

Don't get discouraged, younger guys have a hard time putting on Muscle.
it says a serving is 25g, so i assume that's a scoop.
i usually do 1 scoop everyday, 2 scoops if i am especially tired after exercise.
would it be too much if i drink 2 scoops (50g) in one go then?
btw, i am about 70 kg
i don't really want to put on a lot of weight, i just want to look fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Two scoops is good Red. but break them up, at 50 Grams you're just gonna poop it out.

By breaking it down to a scoop every few hours your body will metabolize more of it.

be sure to eat your chicken & Fish thruout the day too, cans are relatively cheap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Superhero wrote:
Two scoops is good Red. but break them up, at 50 Grams you're just gonna poop it out.

By breaking it down to a scoop every few hours your body will metabolize more of it.

be sure to eat your chicken & Fish thruout the day too, cans are relatively cheap.
i was told to drink it after exercise. am i suppose to do twice the exercise as well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

No!

yes drink one after exercise, as your Mucsles are torn down & need the protien to rebuild cells. Have another one later in the day.

BTW: are to training only two body parts a day? maybe chest & tri's one day the Back & bi's the next?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Superhero wrote:
No!

yes drink one after exercise, as your Mucsles are torn down & need the protien to rebuild cells. Have another one later in the day.

BTW: are to training only two body parts a day? maybe chest & tri's one day the Back & bi's the next?
I just jog with weights on my wrists for 30 minutes to an hour each day. Going to gym is expensive... My room is too small for me to maneuver...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 pm

No Gym on Campus? Cardio isn't really what you need at this stag of the game. can you get a kettle bell? or look up workouts W/O weights online?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:20 pm

there is a gym on campus, but i still need to pay...
i am graduating soon, and have to move my things somewhere else, the last thing i want is more weight Razz
as i said, my room is small, and i will bump my head onto my desk when i work out lol
maybe i can get some huge water bottles

as i said, i am not looking forward to build up lots of muscles, but i thought the protein may help me recover from jogging quicker, and perhaps look a tiny bit more muscular
(i just want to try the whey protein for fun Razz)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Maybe you should talk to ML about Charles Atlas Dynamic tension/ when ML isn't don't tree work that's how he stays in shape & he's in phenominal condition.
Back to top Go down
Rook2

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:15 pm

I use Optimum Whey brand supplements...I take protein shakes after workouts (Strawberry and Strawberry/Banana taste the best in my opinion), and take vanilla Casein shakes sometimes before bed. I also take a three-time-a-day Opti-men multivitamin by the same company. I actually do see some faster gains in my muscle bulk while taking protein, compared to times I haven't.

But it's not a necessity. You can get natural protein by eating lean meats, cottage cheese, nuts, and a lot of other things. And you'll still get in shape if you work out properly and stick to it.

Just FYI, I weightlift four times a week, and do cardio 5 or 6 times a week (jogging, biking, speed-walks, whatever). I'm a fitness nut.

Last thought - stop drinking sodas, if you do. Especially if you take protein. High protein plus soda equals kidney stones.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I wont touch the stuff I am a firm believer in healthy meals not drugs and supplements I am in great shape but then I do alot of walking and snowshoveling every day plus I routinely go to the playgrounds for a work out I really enjoy doing that when its really cold out like -50 with a wind so I really have to keep moving like an outdoor treadmill I was never a really big person but I am far stronger than I look This morning for breakfast I had a bowl of oatmeal mixed with cottage cheese and nuts as well as a slice of bacon and a slice of ham I also drank a cup of coffee mixed with a sausage and Blue Cheese Yesterday I had a Breafast Pizza with Strawberry Jam (Ask Silver Sentinel if you dont believe me Hes seen the Pictures of it) and it seems that the colder it gets outside the stronger the human body becomes
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:00 am

Whey protien is a food like any protien.

It's just handy dandy.

Protien breaks down better with Vit "C".
So, I always make mine with orange juice.

Your body cannot use extra protien.

Protien must be taken in PRECISE amounts

For the average adult, it is between 22 and 40 per meal depending on your size
and then,
that is EVERY meal, every four hours for until you change size.

If it is 22, then, it stays at 22 until you gain weight

I've been enjoying whey protien since 1997 and LOVING it!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:01 am

I use whey protient sometimes. depending how much effort I want to put into it, I will usually just mix it will milk, because water is just gross with that stuff.

make sure to get yourself a blender bottle, they rock.

but sometimes I will put it into a smoothie and get a full blown meal out of it.

also if you mix it with milk, I also suggest one raw egg thrown in there for thickness and an extra protien shot. it's good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Boosterman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:10 am

I don't do whey protein.

However, I do use a pedometer while I train. On days I use it, my daily goal is 20K. It really helps to build up the legs, etc.

BOOSTERMAN
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:12 am

kilometers? who the hell uses the metric system?

oh wait, everyone else in the world BUT america...damn.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 am

Raw egg yolk is all fat.
The white does not absorb and it inhibits the absorbtion of other nutrients.

Darling, I don't recommend raw eggs
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:56 am

Boosterman wrote:
I don't do whey protein.

However, I do use a pedometer while I train. On days I use it, my daily goal is 20K. It really helps to build up the legs, etc.

BOOSTERMAN

get that heart-rate over 140, son
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone taking whey protein supplement?   anyone taking whey protein supplement? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

anyone taking whey protein supplement?
Page 1 of 1