Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Martial Arts?

Go down 
+10
Gray
SkyMan
dcguardian
Dark Patriot
Flora V. Arbor
Roswell
Dark Guardian
Prof. Midnight
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Injuries and training go hand in hand. So far, I've broken a knuckle in one of my MMA fights, torn a rotator cuff (lifting related), torn a hamstring, and pulled a muscle in my lower back (overtraining).

The funny thing is that injury, on small scale that is, actually makes your body better. Bone conditioning is done through microfractures that heal harder and heavier. Muscle building is the same. You traumatize an area so it is forced to adapt and grow. This is the reason a trained Thai boxer can take a full power shot to the body that would break the ribs of a normal person, and likewise why people who have conditioned their shins can slam them into other shins, skulls, points of elbows, etc and not have a broken limb.

the maxim is train with your weaknesses instead of against them. If you have short arms, you will be absolute hell in a clinch fight where you can generate maximum power in a shorter distance. Long legs? Excellent for ground fighting and kick-based striking styles, etc. When I tore my hamstring, I knew I was going to have a long lay off of kicking so I trained for explosive upper body strength and endurance instead.

And in the end if you can't use your natural weapons; supplement them with whatever you feel comfortable with. People with good rotational power in the hips should favor batons since a quick shift of hip and a flick of the wrist can now hit like a full power hook for example.
Back to top Go down
Hissyfit

Hissyfit

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

I used to study Aikido a few years ago. While I did enjoy the self-defense aspect of it, I found the tumbling involved much more enjoyable. Aikido felt like a nice fit for me, even considering some of my physical weaknesses. Aikido teaches tons of offensive/defensive hand-holds/locks.

I've also got a little pro-wrestling training under my belt but aside from some grapples it seems useless from a self-defense purpose, especially since the more technical stuff is a two-man job. Knowing how to take bumps is definitely more handy than it should be.

Does anyone have any references or info on learning tumbling? I'd like to get a solid grasp on that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am

A great mistake would be to prefer one style over another, if you are to learn realistic combat scenarios. Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy, one that encompasses all useful martial art tactics. You'd be lucky to find an instructor of JKD, but the point is to learn what is useful from many sources.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 am

What the Guru said.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:28 am

I heard Tai Chi is surprisingly effective for getting you into shape. Don't think it's practical as a fighting art, though.

As for myself, I took some karate as a kid, but that was a long time ago. Besides, punches and kicks are only effective in the movies. *L*

I'd probably want a basic style that can teach locks and grapples, with some basic punches and kicks
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Aikido and Chin Na are taught at many police academies and both are very effective.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Tai chi chuan can be very effective for self defense if you have the right instructor. Not long after I had first started taking TCC I wanted to see how effective it was against karate. I have a black belt in kenpo karate so I asked if any one in the class would "spar" me. One of the senior students agreed. He would stay just out of range of my lead punches and kicks, but when I committed to a reverse punch/cross or rear leg kick, he would quickly close, parry the technique, and use push hands to control my hands while keeping me off balance and backing me into the nearest wall. Neutralized everything I threw. This guy also worked in a home for mentally handicapped teens and successfully use TCC for neutralizing the residents when they became violent. It gave me a whole new respect for TCC. I've been practicing since, and that was over 20 yrs ago.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 am

Good news! A jiu-jitsu dojo is opening up near my workplace in September. Would be nice to learn at a convenient location.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:13 am

i like the style hung ga alot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 am

Any kind of martial arts training will give you a slight advantage over an opponent who has none. For a RLSH i'd recommend taking something combative over sporty.

Boxing/wrestling for example, have training specialized for matches with strict rules, which will never be the case in real life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:31 am

Does anyone do Hamster Style kung fu? hahaha If you know what I am talking about, congratulations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 am

I want to re learn some basic karate moves. Like the round house and other kicks. I use my feet mostly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Which Martial Arts?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3