Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts

Go down 
+8
Urban Avenger
Paladin
E0N (Inactive)
Jack Shadow
Crossfire the Crusader
Gauge
!
Prof. Midnight
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Empty
PostSubject: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm

I am trained in normal self defense and also have spent many years working on kick boxing along with adapting different things I have seen on the streets and while watching UFC. I have done some good with this, but wanted to know if there are other styles of defense that would do a better job. I should note I have tried some and failed, do to medical reasons.

The Street Shadow
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Any martial art can be effective. It depends more on the artist, than the art.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm

I feel the same goes for kick boxing, the moves I know are used alot less in the ring then what I use them for
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 pm

true, martial arts dont beat martial arts, but martial artists beat martial artists.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 pm

so true. I will remember that
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 pm

There is no one perfect fighting style, but there will be a combination of techniques that works best for you. The more techniques you master, the bigger your "tool box" becomes for defending yourself and others. Of course, the key here is to master the moves you learn. Not much is worse than getting into a situation with half-trained techniques. But if you have some valuable techniques which you have mastered, and a strategic fighting mind, you will beat opponents that are bigger and stronger -- and perhaps ones who have trained longer -- than yourself. Train mentally as well, to master the fear we all feel when engaging a foe. Calming that feeling allows you to control it and channel the energy of fear into a valuable tool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:02 pm

that is good advice, my fears have gotten to me before and now I have learned to react first, and if I have to, fear later.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 pm

The best martial art is the one that keeps you from getting your butt whipped...I suggest Crowbar Foo (available at the hardware section of Sears)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 pm

I will consider that, infact a weapon like that ends up in my deeds aswell, I train each day to find a weapon in each item I may find, incase i have to use one on the fly I will know what works best. Just hitting them with it isnt always the best idea.
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 am

just make sure the weapon you use is legal.

Most non-weapon items will still be put into the closest weapon category for legal purposes if something ever happens.

Also, even if you are entirely justified in using a weapon, you will still get in trouble if that weapon is illegal or is an object that reasonably resembles a weapon of an illegal type.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 am

Seriously if you want to learn a good legal way to defend yourself on the street I do recommend seeing if you can find someone to isntruct you in the LAMB technique for baton. Its used in prisons across the country. I learned it when I was training for department of corrections. The beauty of the LAMB system is that I know if I follow the training and target the areas I was trained to target (and avoid the ones I was trained to avoid too) that the founder of the system has stated he will come to my aid and testify in court shold I need him. You wont find many sensei/shidoshi/coach/masterjedi/etc who will do that in today's world.

(BTW - I googled LAMB but didnt dig very far - Im sure you can find something)
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:02 am

Learn as much as you can about using improvised weaponry. The true weapon is between your ears, everything else is just a tool to be used.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:31 am

On your original question, boxing is certainly proven effective as has the wrestling studied in colleges and stuff. But both of those arbitrarily forego certain attacks because they're intended as competitive sports. (Like you don't just haul off and kick someone in normal boxing... or throw a chair at them)

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 pm

I will make sure i look into that and thank you all
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Also, make sure you have a strong defensive set, as well. This can come in handy against multiple foes, especially. The longer you can keep from getting killed, the more they will tire and give you openings to exploit. Just ask Muhammad Ali, as his fight against the younger and stronger George Foreman in 1964 (?) is the classic example of the "rope-a-dope" maneuver. Most people will not be as well conditioned as a professional fighter, and will wear out quickly.

Other things to keep in mind: Strike hard tissue with an open hand, and strike soft tissue with a closed hand. Slaps hurt like crazy and can cause the eyes to well up with tears, occluding vision. Punch arms and legs if you can't hit the face or body. Foot stomps make it hard to stand and fight. Basically, if you have to fight, end it as quickly as possible and don't worry too much about following the Queensbury Rules or any of that crap. Just use the proper, legal amount of force, and keep yourself alive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:56 pm

Good to remember thank you, and I will make sure I stay alive.
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I use, primarily, my 13 years of Western Martial Arts experience- largely, this is reconstructed medieval grappling, plain old dirty streetfighting picked up in a misspent youth, baton, knife and staff combat adapted from SCA fighting and HEMA (Historical European Marial Arts using sword, dagger, grappling, pole-arms, staff and various other nasty little toys). I also have a couple of years' Kung-Fu (Northern Shaolin) training and a small amount of Okinawa Go Ju Ryu Karate. I have taught myself some Krav Maga techniques, again adapted from what I know and what I have been able to garner, since the Krav Maga place in town shut down.

I am now taking competitive MMA training as well.

In my experience learning and sparring with/against fighters from all over, it is definitely the fighter, and not the style, that creates the advantage. After that, it's a matter of picking the right style for YOU.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am

that is why I will always respec tbruce lee as one of the greatest fighters of all time. he is the father of MMA, which is the best "fighting style" in the world.
Back to top Go down
sakujo

sakujo

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 am

Urban Avenger wrote:
that is why I will always respec tbruce lee as one of the greatest fighters of all time. he is the father of MMA, which is the best "fighting style" in the world.

Fighting concept, not style. Its the idea of being well rounded instead of only learning one thing. But it isn't really a "stylke" in that it can be taken many different ways and have many different variations.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah, I know. That's why I used it in quotes, technically jeet kun do is a philosophy, which is what MMA I born from. That is a concept, not a style, but you could argue that MMA is as much of a fighting style unique to the individual as much as the clothes they are, which is also a style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:10 am

i had a real western fight in a honkey tonk bar.i took a boot to the face but he took a jukebox to his face, that was the end of his boot scoot boogie.
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:31 pm

rofl. I used to bounce at Calgary's biggest honky-tonk... you know the cowboy fights in the movies? They're actually like that.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 pm

short answer:

weapon of oportunity and spin TO THE SIDE out of the path of the oncoming thing
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 pm

What police and military people use is the most effective.

Every thing else is rather basic

Western 'styles' i.e. boxing are, simply, not as tested.

5000 years of testing makes for a BIG stack of questions answered
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Basic gets the job done. I have trained with the military and police forces, and have several contacts who contract with the various branches of our armed forces. They have so far been very wise in adapting their fighting styles to use many forms, but almost always leave the high profile hollywood crap in the dumpster, where it belongs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts   How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How good is a western fighting style instead of martial arts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next