Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

dance dance revolution

Go down 
+3
E0N (Inactive)
SkyMan
Urban Avenger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

dance dance revolution Empty
PostSubject: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 am

I was wondering if anyone's ever given dance dance revolution, or it's superior but ill fated cousin in the groove a shot. if anyone is unfamiliar. it's a dancing game to techno music, among a myriad of other genres, where the dance pad is like a giant D pad on a game controller, up, down,left and right. it's available on every console out there. I used to do it a lot and it is some of the most intense cardio I've ever done. at one point I had gotten myself overweight, and played it for about a month and lost 20 lbs.I've been an avid player of it for 6 years now.I used to think it looked silly, but it actually takes skill to be able to play well. but as an exercise it is most effective in the later difficulty stages. here's a video:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

now just try doing that for an hour at a time, more or less.

in my prime I could play (nothing THAT insane, but still intense) for about 3 or 4 hours, with only the breaks in between games. I used to be able to ring out my shirt with sweat. now though.I can usually only play for about a half an hour before I have to call it quits.I'm very, very out of shape.

thoughts? opinions? stories?
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:48 pm

DDR for weight loss huh?!? Well, now Im gonna have to seriously consider that... I imagine its probably cheaper than Meow's $350 a month diet plan too....
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 pm

there was a documentary floating around youtube (actually filmed in san diego where I live) where people professed to losing up to 90 lbs playing it religiously. I know I said it's on all the home consoles,but I personally prefer the arcade version.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm a long time "can't dance," type, but it certainly sounds healthy. I'm convinced the best cardio is running, but not everyone can run (knee problems, overcome by boredom, etc). Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
sakujo

sakujo

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:47 pm

It's better then running for some people mainly because it can be more entertaining, but for knees and such it may be much worse.

I'll be honest and say when it started getting popular I increased my cardio drastically without realizing it by playing the hell out of ddr. I haven't been on a pad for a few years now tho...
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:16 am

I know how that is sakujo, whenever I try to go back I just get my ass kicked.I am going to start being more regular with it.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 am

Anything that keeps you active is a good thing. And it would also improve your timing and footwork too. Sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:49 am

DDR is good cardio, and Police 911 arcade (known as Police 24/7 in the UK) is great on the lower back and abs, but you will be in PAIN after a couple games until you get those muscles in shape.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Victim wrote:
DDR is good cardio, and Police 911 arcade (known as Police 24/7 in the UK) is great on the lower back and abs, but you will be in PAIN after a couple games until you get those muscles in shape.

Oh I loved that game
and yes every time I got done playing I was wiped out
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 am

oh yeah, I love police 911, last time I played that it destroyed my legs. I did play some ddr today (with my fairly light steel toed boots on) and I got my ass handed to me. repeatedly.I need to switch to my bushido kung fu shoes and start off slow again.
Back to top Go down
!

!

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:47 am

SkyMan wrote:
DDR for weight loss huh?!? Well, now Im gonna have to seriously consider that... I imagine its probably cheaper than Meow's $350 a month diet plan too....

actually, ive had a few friends quite a bit of weight on that.

I like the music better than the game though Razz
Back to top Go down
Boosterman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

Yeah, DDR works. If only because it's easy and it's a game so your mind is active.
Some of the WII games are good for this too.

BOOSTERMAN

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:07 am

if you put on some wrist weights while playing wii... oh man.

I'm gonna do that now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dance dance revolution   dance dance revolution Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

dance dance revolution
Page 1 of 1