Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brass Knucles hurt!

Go down 
+10
onikage
Sentinel
Polarman
Urban Avenger
Bearman
Dark Guardian
Gauge
the crimson fist
E0N (Inactive)
Hissyfit
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 pm

You are very lucky they only had brass-knuckles and you only got a gut check. Were I you I would count my blessings and thank your preferred deity that I had a VERY uncommon experience.

=AP=
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 pm

While I cannot and certainly do not disagree with the advice given here to avoid the knuckles altogether, the specific question posed was for techniques to disarm the assailant.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Brass Knuckles are specifically designed to be effectively un-disarmable. There is simply too much grip surface. So I guess the answer to the question of how to disarm someone of brass knuckles would be to knock your attacked out cold and slip them off his hand.

=AP=
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 pm

They are almost impossible to disarm as long as the user can make a fist. I have stripped an assailant of them by using the one-handed technique I detailed near the start of this thread. It does require significant grip strength, and I admit it is not always 100% reliable. If you don't need the guy awake, indeed knocking him unconscious is another option, if you know how.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:18 am

How did he gut check you if he was behind you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Get out of range of the knuckles, or trap the arm. Or break the arm if you get a chance. Or chop his hand off Very Happy He would deserve it in my opinion. And I thought the same thing as Blue Alpha, how did he come up behind you, yet hit you in the gut?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Did you fight all 6 of the gang members, then, or just the one with the knux? I also gotta question how someone can swing from behind you -- which is why I deduce you were fighting multiple opponents -- and hit your gut. I know it is possible to misremember details from such a frenzied situation, especially if it's been a while since you patrolled, so I choose to cut you some slack on this detail and instead be happy you're okay.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow

Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Blue Alpha, Shadow Wolf and Gauge wrote:
How did he gut check you if he was behind you?
He said the guy attacked him from behind initially, but that he then tried to disarm him, implying that it was a continued struggle and not a single attack. I'd assume he meant that the initial attack was from behind, catching him off guard, and then he turned around and confronted knux head on, which is when he was hit a second time in the gut. The blow to the gut was much harder, which is why he mentioned it in his initial post.
Just my guess.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:13 pm

he said 9in a post he deleted no less) that the confrontation was over very quickly by the time the cops showed up. like a minute or two.somethin like that.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow

Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:09 am

A minute or two is still more than enough time to get punched in the back, turn around, and get punched in the stomach.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:59 am

Sparrow is right.

I have to agree with Polar Man again about side-stepping.

Side-stepping is what bull-fighters do because it works
( please pardon the horrific reference )

See also: "The Best of Times" a movie with Robin Williams and Kurt Russel and see that move
demonstrated in an effective, if fictitious, setting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I think this is a good thread to maybe puncuate the obvious. When you make the decision to become a "Superhero/Costumed Vigilante/Neighborhood Do-Gooder/Defender of the Less Advantaged/Etc." you have just put yourself in harm's way. By that I mean you now must live in the world of "what if". When you step outside that door into the streets you have to be thinking about "what if", no matter what kind of patrol you're on it has to be at the forefront of your mind, "what if" and prepare accordingly.

You never know when you're going to encounter a threat and that's why you need to treat every venture out into the streets as if you're going to encounter the worst case scenario. Mental awareness and physical preparedness are you're only allies when you're out there performing your civic duties. You're either bringing your A game or you're not, there's no in-between because that's what's going to get you hurt, as was the case in this situation.

Sorry if this is preaching to the choir but I really don't want to see anyone get hurt out there.

In reference to the question about brass knuckles, I have little to offer as I have only encountered them once. 9 out of 10 times when I have encountered a weapon it has been a knife or an improvised weapon of some sort or another.

The only advice I can give is this: Brass knuckles are attached to the guy, they are going to be fast and extremely difficult to disarm. Clinching is going to be a problem unless you can cover-up and close in to gain access to his offending arm/hand (you'll probably take a hit but if you tuck and cover the blows will land a few times on your arm or shoulder, yes that's going to hurt...alot). In that case you'll want to use both hands to control his arm/hand and attempt to cause as much damage as possible while you have both arms attempting to control his one arm/hand.

You might try locking onto his wrist and swinging to the outside to perform a gator roll putting all of your weight into the spin this has the "potential" to separate a shoulder, dislocate his wrist or put enough pressure on the muscles/tendons of his arm to seriously damage it. The whole idea at that point is to take that arm/hand out of the equation.

Option two is to make sure you're prepared for a bumrush followed by a flurry of punches which is often the case as its quantity and brute force coming at you. To counter this you need to buy yourself some time. Pepper spray is a great way to do this, it's cheap and at the higher concentrations (nothing under 10%) it's going to slow someone down. Then if you have a baton or weapon that affords you some reach (might be a stick, bat, chain, tire iron, car antenna, flashlight you name it as long as it gets a reach advantage) use it, yes legally you might be answering some questions later but it's better than getting flailed into the pavement or possibly killed. Pepper spray and baton vs. brass knuckles is a little better odds than just bare hands.

Something else, I've actually gotten on top of cars in an attempt to avoid more than one attacker, it sounds stupid but it's worked a few times. In fact getting higher than your attacker can help you in many situations as long as they aren't pointing a gun at you in that case you're screwed unless you're Chuck Norris.

Last but certainly not least is run away. There is no shame in tactically retreating. That's the GOLDEN RULE in most threat scenarios. If you can run away and survive you're not just a hero, you're a smart hero who's still alive to tell the tale. Also, you may have bought some innocent victim enough time to get away themselves if the attacker has targetted you and gives chase or loses sight or interest of their victim while focusing on you.

Now I just want to say I'm no self-defense guru in fact my record sucks. I've had my butt kicked more times than I've won. The thing about getting your butt kicked so much is it allows you the opportunity to try and correct the mistakes you may have made that led to the butt kicking. Needless to say I've had alot of opportunities to review.

If anyone takes anything positive away from this I hope it's to always remember that every time you step out onto those streets, ask yourself, what if.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:35 pm

I had a martial arts instructor tell me
that every technique should end in: RUN AWAY

After all these years, I agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Bearman wrote:
I have an idea, but I don't know how well it will work. When I was younger I was watching my cousin change his car battery, and he made the mistake of touching the male metal prong to the ring on his finger and I saw it, like it was in slow motion, heat up turning orange then yellow then white and hearing a sizzling sound and my cousin screamed like I've never heard and flung that ring off his finger as fast as he could. It almost melted his flesh and then burnt it to the ring. Maybe you could try grabbing their arm and touching a battery to the brass knuckle. As soon as it feels hot, they'll throw it. Just an idea.

That depends on if the metal conducts electricity or not. If it does, then this will work. If not, well...you're not really gonna do anything.

While it's a good idea, is it really worth it if you don't know what the brass knuckles are made of?

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
I had a martial arts instructor tell me
that every technique should end in: RUN AWAY

After all these years, I agree

Sometimes that's your best option. If you don't have the skills, just run.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Golden Valkyrie wrote:
Bearman wrote:
I have an idea, but I don't know how well it will work. When I was younger I was watching my cousin change his car battery, and he made the mistake of touching the male metal prong to the ring on his finger and I saw it, like it was in slow motion, heat up turning orange then yellow then white and hearing a sizzling sound and my cousin screamed like I've never heard and flung that ring off his finger as fast as he could. It almost melted his flesh and then burnt it to the ring. Maybe you could try grabbing their arm and touching a battery to the brass knuckle. As soon as it feels hot, they'll throw it. Just an idea.

That depends on if the metal conducts electricity or not. If it does, then this will work. If not, well...you're not really gonna do anything.

While it's a good idea, is it really worth it if you don't know what the brass knuckles are made of?

This is an excellent point.
My friend, when we were teens, had a couple he made out of oak to use as molds to press into the sand to make metal ones for his cop dad in metal-works class.
I had one of these for years. Wish I had it now.

I use quarters to make a fist-load wrapped in electrical or athletic tape. I'll put an extra tape strip across the knuckels to hang onto them better, and occassionaly put dimes or other metal up there for reinforcement.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:25 pm

I feel like a majority of people don't know much about actual physical confrontation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Dark Guardian wrote:
I feel like a majority of people don't know much about actual physical confrontation.

Such as the idea of hitting a small fast-moving fist weapon with a slower-weilded electrical device?
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Dark Guardian wrote:

Such as the idea of hitting a small fast-moving fist weapon with a slower-weilded electrical device?

LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Lol yeah I laughed at that electrical idea too.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I feel like DG is right.

I also feel like a lot of people make things up to fill in the gaps in their knowledge, too, which isn't totally cool.

Like I said before -- I'll fight (spar) anyone on here who wants to make the trip out to fight me and post video. I'm not even that good of a fighter... like not at all. Razz Also like I said, everybody except the five or so people I know are skilled can bring pepper spray and/or stun guns to the fight, too.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Golden Valkyrie wrote:
Bearman wrote:

This is an excellent point.
My friend, when we were teens, had a couple he made out of oak to use as molds to press into the sand to make metal ones for his cop dad in metal-works class.
I had one of these for years. Wish I had it now.

I use quarters to make a fist-load wrapped in electrical or athletic tape. I'll put an extra tape strip across the knuckels to hang onto them better, and occassionaly put dimes or other metal up there for reinforcement.

whew!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm

What?
I have lived a surprisingly colorful life.
Besides, you can throw the fist-load on top of a low roof or into a garbage bin and it pretty much never existed.

Self defense isn't always pretty punches and kicks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brass Knucles hurt!   Brass Knucles hurt! - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brass Knucles hurt!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2