Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?

Go down 
+6
Superhuman
kapes13
Prof. Midnight
Flora V. Arbor
Rebound
Artisteroi
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am

during my short stint in the pound (weights are not allowed in CA prisons and jails) we would make our own weights with stolen trash bag, t-shirts and cardboard tubes. one bag weighted over 100lbs filled with water and we trained pretty hardcore with that. when left my arms were almost twice the size as when I got in,almost two months earlier.
Back to top Go down
Rebound

Rebound

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I guess that's one positive part of jail. If I ever am jailed for anything I plan on doing nothing but reading and working out whenever I can. I just wish I could find some less extreme excuse to do nothing but train since I don't plan on breaking any laws.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:11 pm

How heavy are you going for? Pull-up bars will get you anything up to your own bodyweight and even then there are ways to make pullups harder.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Gemini As you know you are talking to a bunch of strangers online I have this very important piece of advice to give you here

Please be very careful about what kind of info you are giving us We encourage minors to not ever broadcast their ages online as You never know who or what kind of animal is out there waiting for a chance to exploit young kids

Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:08 pm

If you get any snow in your area You could try shoveling it out for other people like I do Its great excercise Just keep your back straight and bend your knees
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:28 pm

I am very much aware of the dangers of the internet Polarman, I'll be sure not to give out any such information.

And it rarely snows, once a year if at all heh, thanks anyway
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Gemini wrote:
*drinks milk*

Okay, thankyou for the advice, i'll hold it close!

SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Gemini wrote:
Milk jugs and all those types of bottles are a good ideas, but i wish my hands were bigger so i could grip my weights and the bottles at the same time, perhaps i'll make an incision around the top so i can unscrew the weights from my dumbbells and put them in the container, then fill it with water.

Can you get Resist-a-bands?

or surgical tubing or large rubber bands?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Gemini wrote:
Flora, i was also wondering how many days i should leave in between weight training days?

On the internet i get mixed answers, some say leave a day, some say leave 2.

Usually i work out Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. But im wondering if i could do any more?

either answer is good
We can't speed healing.
There MUST be rest in between.

For those who can only do twice a weeek, they make plenty progress.
It can be confusing for beginners.
So, we just say, "three times a week"
because it is easier to follow.

Wednesday Friday Sunday is great!

Here's a workout:
EVERY thing is 2-3 sets of 8 repetitions
with one minute in between.

*bicep curls
* overhead tricep presses
* side shoulder raises

*pushups
* pull ups with feet on a chair
Men have bigger arms and, often, skinny legs
Wink

*lunges with feet STRAIGHT NOT DIAGONAL!
* calf-raises

Questions?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:29 am

Thank you for all the advice.

Nice ideas, i can find large rubber bands in town and where them on my wrist or hand while it is attached to a bottle in order to increase weight Smile

I usually do 3 sets of 15, if i do eight with my current weights it's too easy it seems, but when i incorporate the technique above i can apply this.

As for the exercised i was also wondering where it is okay to exercise all parts of the body for one session, thereby preforming 3 pretty much full body work outs a week, or split the exercises over the 3 days?

Usually i focus on 2 areas of the body for one session as oppose to full body as i wasn't sure if that would exhaust my muscles ._.

Thankyou so much for all your help by the way! Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 pm

once you get to 15 repetitions, it is, indeed, time to riase the weights.

THe rubber bands are good.

You can do all the body parts in one day but
you'll want to wait two days or so before you do it again
as in: Sunday/Wednesday

or
you can do this:

chest and triceps - Monday/Thursday
back and biceps - Tuesday/Friday
Legs and Shoulder - Wednesday/Sunday

or
you can do this:

upper body - Monday/Thursday
lower body - Tuesday/Friday

does that make sense?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:43 am

Yes, that's great thank you!
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:20 am

This is off topic but ... Flora when did you become a master of Face paint?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 pm

thx SH but I ain't a master!

I'm sweating a job that i have to do this Saturday and sit next to a master.

I took a class in '05 that got me WAAAAy better than just a heart-on-a-cheek

but, even my boss lit me up about this saturday
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Thats paint?? I thought that was your natural skin color
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?   I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

I want heavier dumbbells, but I can't get them, alternatives?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: