Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

my biggest problem of all

Go down 
+6
DRock
Artisteroi
E0N (Inactive)
Silver Sentinel
NightBug
Urban Avenger
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

my biggest problem of all Empty
PostSubject: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

my biggest problem with being an RLSH is often finding the energy to go out and patrol and do what I need to do. sometimes I have the energy. sometimes I don't. I am often lethargic and have no energy throughout the day. perhaps its my diet which right now is not the healthiest thing in the world (as you can tell by some of the things I post in the post up a meal thread). especially lately its been bad. but this has been a problem almost since day one. I have more free time now than I did when I first started, and soon I will have even more free time to patrol but I won't have the energy to do so. my birthday is coming up and I am going to be using that as the start of a personal resolution. to work out more, eat better and generally be more active. I'd been waiting to announce this but I suppose now is fine. I will be getting powerbocks next week as a birthday present and i am going to try and be on them more often than not. both as exercise and a mode of transportation. I am going to try utilizing these things as an effective patrolling device and need to become an expert at them.

I think I digressed here from the original point.... oh yeah!

the point is I have become really tired lately and am not really sure what I can do to really change that. it seems like a catch 22 to me. I need to exercise more and eat better to have more energy. but in order to do that I need more energy to begin with! so I think as a start I am going to begin laying off of EVERYTHING but water and maybe tea and a little coffee here and there. I have a serious problem with energy drinks, and I find myself drinking soda more and more. so that needs to stop. I believe I am seriously dehydrated and that needs to be solved. I'll be purchasing a larger and more reliable camelbak to stay hydrated constantly, as the one I currently own is prone to breaking and needs has had to be fixed or replaced several times since I purchased it a few months ago.

if anyone else has any advise to contribute it would be most appreciated (flora v. arbor I'm looking at you).
Back to top Go down
NightBug

NightBug

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:32 am

Urban Avenger wrote:
my biggest problem with being an RLSH is often finding the energy to go out and patrol and do what I need to do. sometimes I have the energy. sometimes I don't. I am often lethargic and have no energy throughout the day. perhaps its my diet which right now is not the healthiest thing in the world (as you can tell by some of the things I post in the post up a meal thread). especially lately its been bad. but this has been a problem almost since day one. I have more free time now than I did when I first started, and soon I will have even more free time to patrol but I won't have the energy to do so. my birthday is coming up and I am going to be using that as the start of a personal resolution. to work out more, eat better and generally be more active. I'd been waiting to announce this but I suppose now is fine. I will be getting powerbocks next week as a birthday present and i am going to try and be on them more often than not. both as exercise and a mode of transportation. I am going to try utilizing these things as an effective patrolling device and need to become an expert at them.

I think I digressed here from the original point.... oh yeah!

the point is I have become really tired lately and am not really sure what I can do to really change that. it seems like a catch 22 to me. I need to exercise more and eat better to have more energy. but in order to do that I need more energy to begin with! so I think as a start I am going to begin laying off of EVERYTHING but water and maybe tea and a little coffee here and there. I have a serious problem with energy drinks, and I find myself drinking soda more and more. so that needs to stop. I believe I am seriously dehydrated and that needs to be solved. I'll be purchasing a larger and more reliable camelbak to stay hydrated constantly, as the one I currently own is prone to breaking and needs has had to be fixed or replaced several times since I purchased it a few months ago.

if anyone else has any advise to contribute it would be most appreciated (flora v. arbor I'm looking at you).
I feel your pain.

I'd highly recommend watching some Underground Wellness videos on YouTube. It's one guy with a lot of knowledge, covering many areas:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some really, really useful stuff in there.

As for energy drinks... man, I never touch those things. Stick with tea, drink a ton of water every day, and get enough protein to balance out your carbs. Avoid too much salt or sugar (i.e. most sodas & candy). It's okay to cheat once in a while... I tried to swear off coffee, and it didn't work, but now I've backed off espresso drinks and am down to straight coffee only 3-4 days a week.

I know the exercise thing is weird (energy creates more energy), and it's hard to get going, but once you make it a part of your routine, you'll find your energy increasing drastically.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am

One thing I have found is that if you set the goal in mind to go out at a certain time, do it. You may feel tired at first, but once you get going.. you start to fire on all cylinders.

Also, a mental preparation before you go out. It can be as simple as meditation, a moment of reflection, or getting your game face on.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 pm

High protein, lots of water, at least moderate regular exercise (3 times a week with 20 minutes min. of cardio included), and the most important thing -- find a way to feel that what you're doing is important, fun, meaningful, and accomplishing something. If you can't do that last part, change what you do.

I believe most of us here have a tendency to conserve personal energy and become lethargic unless we really believe in an activity deep down -- and if we do really believe in it, many of us could probably do it for 48 hours straight with no loss of enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:41 pm

afternoon siestas will help revitalize your energy. when you feel run down take a short nap to get going again. teh human body works better when it's fresh from sleep. studies are under way now with people taking a 1 hr nap every 5 hours but staying awake the rest of the time with no adverse effects. thats 4 hours of sleep out of 24. what could we do with a 20hr day or rather four 5 hour days, every day?
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:55 pm

I've been getting tired a lot too. I'm gonna see a doctor.

I don't want to try everything and not find out I got mono or something like that.

What's really funny is my roommate worries that I need more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night. scratch
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm

I wonder if the tiredness that you guys feel is because of the shorter colder days ahead Now I know its not winter yet where you guys are but Im sure the days are colder and shorter
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 am

You aint the only one UA!! My fatigue syndrome has come back these past two weeks with a vengeance! It went away for a long while when I got my C-PaP machine for sleep apnea... but now, im just totally dragging!!

Have you gotten your blood checked lately? There could be a thyroid problem or some weird vitamin deficency. I have an appt with my doc next week to check me out.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:43 am

If I had a doctor I would skyman. But right now I ain't got no insurance. Where you at obamacare???
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:55 am

Urban Avenger wrote:
If I had a doctor I would skyman. But right now I ain't got no insurance. Where you at obamacare???

I wouldn't expect much from Obamacare - I've had VA medical for years and my exoerience is that you get what you pay for. Its free for me, but it took them six months to diagnose a broken back and they have a habit of giving me new perscriptions that have bizarre side effects...I often suspect that they give me stuff just to see what will happen to me.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:02 am

Crossfire the Crusader wrote:
I wouldn't expect much from Obamacare

trust me, I wouldn't want it anyway....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:01 am

Crossfire the Crusader wrote:
Urban Avenger wrote:

I wouldn't expect much from Obamacare - I've had VA medical for years and my exoerience is that you get what you pay for. Its free for me, but it took them six months to diagnose a broken back and they have a habit of giving me new perscriptions that have bizarre side effects...I often suspect that they give me stuff just to see what will happen to me.

I worked in a VA home as a CNA for a number of months, over ten years ago, during my eight year stint as a CNA.
Those boys were treated badly, didn't have proper facilities, didn't have proper medical attention, just set in a corner or layed in be to rot, it was fucking horrific. They would have been better off in a regular nursing home.
Great reward for their service to this country. It was just goddamn shameful as a person, a health care worker, and an American to see this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 am

Urban Avenger:
Don't discount your mental and emotional state in fatigue. Are you stressed? Probably so.
All the healthy eating and exercise in the world won't help a bit if you're so stressed and mentally fogged you don't or can't get of the couch.

GO outside, try breathing.
Deep breaths, in and out. Let it clear. Stretches and do it again.
Sounds simple, but the old timers like Charles Atlas emphasized it heavily.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:08 am

Polarman wrote:
I wonder if the tiredness that you guys feel is because of the shorter colder days ahead Now I know its not winter yet where you guys are but Im sure the days are colder and shorter

You're not kidding here.
Makes me tired and every single dislocation or break I had gets stiff. God I hate winter.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:38 am

you are probably right Midnight about the stress. My job is seriously stressful on me sometimes.the other day I was getting severe chest pains like someone hit me in the sternum with a meat tenderizer. but I was never hit. so I attribute it to stress because of how bad work was that day. I've been looking to get out of that job for months.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
you are probably right Midnight about the stress. My job is seriously stressful on me sometimes.the other day I was getting severe chest pains like someone hit me in the sternum with a meat tenderizer. but I was never hit. so I attribute it to stress because of how bad work was that day. I've been looking to get out of that job for months.

Many of your posts indicate you are stressed and upset over a lack of crime intervention on your patrols.
Stress at work and at other activities: that's a lot.
Breathe, buddy, breathe.
Wow, now I sound like FLora. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
High protein, lots of water, at least moderate regular exercise (3 times a week with 20 minutes min. of cardio included), and the most important thing -- find a way to feel that what you're doing is important, fun, meaningful, and accomplishing something. If you can't do that last part, change what you do.

I believe most of us here have a tendency to conserve personal energy and become lethargic unless we really believe in an activity deep down -- and if we do really believe in it, many of us could probably do it for 48 hours straight with no loss of enthusiasm.

I must do a food thread
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Urban Avenger wrote:

Many of your posts indicate you are stressed and upset over a lack of crime intervention on your patrols.
Stress at work and at other activities: that's a lot.
Breathe, buddy, breathe.
Wow, now I sound like FLora. Very Happy

SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:37 pm

aches and pains...

I MUST do a food thread!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my biggest problem of all   my biggest problem of all Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

my biggest problem of all
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: