Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Empty
PostSubject: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:49 am

I'm currently revising my physical training routine, which has generally focused on agility and endurance, to support operating with approx. 75 lbs of gear on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking primarily at what I can get from this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...as well as including long uphill hikes with a weighted ruck sack, sprints in boots with arm weights, upper body conditioning (weights)... whatever else comes to mind. My typical workouts have not involved gyms much in the past... I prefer the use of bodyweight resistance for some reason. That'd mean animal crawls in this case, which are kind of a bear, so to speak.

Anyway. I know some of you guys are experts on this sort of thing.

Smile

(Flora is going to laugh at me for suggesting sprinting in boots, I think... but it didn't kill our grandfathers)

Ah... tires and sledgehammers. What a $#%&.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 pm

I use to run the baseball dymand across the street from my house in boots and ankle weights, nothing to it. I'll have to check out this link. Can't say I have to much time to work out any more, its getting cold outside and I don't have a gym membership.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 am

@ Zombie, I am happy to help you put together a workout.

Please let me know what time and equipment you have if any.
If nto no prob.

@ MR

( note: I am behaving myself!!!!!!!!)

every other day for 15 minutes for 6 weeks.

Then, add five minutes and continue every other day for three months.
Although you may push your self in the course of one day,
we can't speed healing.
To get to where you want to be, really,
takes 1-3 years but you'll make a lot of progress along the way.
and
you must EAT extra to create extra
or else your just wear your self away.

Would you like me to look over your food for you?

PS> NO weights on the ankles.
It may do well short-term but the "stretching" of the knee-parts
and potential for knee-destruction is too great a risk

Last edited by Flora V. Arbor on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you

And wouldn't the support of a boot balance the streatching of the ankle?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Zombie wrote:
Thank you

And wouldn't the support of a boot balance the streatching of the ankle?

the weight below the knee stretches the knee elements too much

a weighted vest is good enough

It you want to train anything from the thigh down,
we can use different techniques
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

I was thinking in my enthusiasm I made this appear overly complex to myself.

Overall I think what you said addresses it actually being pretty simple... but, 15 minutes for six weeks seems a little light... I do have a two year timeline, though. I'd like to get where I can comfortably walk 20 miles at a brisk pace without stopping wearing maybe 35 lbs and also comfortably do about 5 at a brisk pace wearing like 100 lbs or so.

And then the reality of what I'd do in real life is somewhere in between there and would include rest breaks. I can do all that now, but not without ending up with a shirt covered in salt and some sore feet... in other words without the "comfortably" part.

My diet is like 97 percent meat. I keep being lazy about cataloguing it, but that's the summary version. Recently to economize a little I've cut down on steaks and started eating a lot more ground beef. The other food groups are like garnishes, almost.

But... I'm kinda stepping back mentally and thinking my training program should be something more wholisticly aimed at improvement and that maybe I could throw some ideas out there and collectively people here could brainstorm something kinda... uh... better.

Like a martial art, but not aimed particularly at fighting at the expense of other things... not really sure yet.

:/
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
I was thinking in my enthusiasm I made this appear overly complex to myself.

Overall I think what you said addresses it actually being pretty simple... but, 15 minutes for six weeks seems a little light... I do have a two year timeline, though. I'd like to get where I can comfortably walk 20 miles at a brisk pace without stopping wearing maybe 35 lbs

20 MILES IS ABOUT FOUR HOURS.

HOW MANY MILES CAN YOU DO NOW?

and also comfortably do about 5 at a brisk pace wearing like 100 lbs or so.

AGAIN, HOW MANY CAN YOU DO NOW?
THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION WILL DETERMINE WHERE WE CAN START YOU.
( PLEASE NOTE MY GOOD BEHAVIOR!)

And then the reality of what I'd do in real life is somewhere in between there and would include rest breaks. I can do all that now, but not without ending up with a shirt covered in salt and some sore feet... in other words without the "comfortably" part.

RESTING JUST MAKES YOU HAVE TO START OVER.

FEET. DID YOU MAKE NOTE OF WHAT I TYPED ABOUT SHOES BEFORE?

WHAT IS PROB WITH SALT-SHIRT?

My diet is like 97 percent meat. I keep being lazy about cataloguing it, but that's the summary version. Recently to economize a little I've cut down on steaks and started eating a lot more ground beef. The other food groups are like garnishes, almost.

I'M EATING STEAK RIGHT NOW BUT THE BRAIN BURNS 5 TIMES MORE CARBS
THAN ALL OF YOUR OTHER TISSUES PUT TOGETHER NIGHT AND DAY FOR A LIFE-TIME.

THE BRAIN DOES NOT BURN NOTHING OR PROTEIN OR FAT.

But... I'm kinda stepping back mentally and thinking my training program should be something more wholisticly aimed at improvement and that maybe I could throw some ideas out there and collectively people here could brainstorm something kinda... uh... better.

Like a martial art, but not aimed particularly at fighting at the expense of other things... not really sure yet.

YOU, EXACTLY, NEED MY CARDIO KARATE AND A WEIGHT ROUTINE.
...NOT EXAGERATING, NOT KIDDING

comments in caps above

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:46 pm

I actually just don't know. I did 18 miles in 3 hours wearing 35 lbs with great difficulty about 15 years ago. Since then I've kept in reasonable shape, I've worn a rucksack at times to do things where I wasn't evaluating myself or keeping time and I know that unweighted I can walk basically forever (you know, until needing to eat, sleep, etc)...

So I just don't know.

What's wrong with being covered in salty sweat is the real goal is to do slightly less distance with slightly less weight without any real effort so that I can stop along the way and effectively do other things.

I do need to eat carbs. It hasn't mattered as much when I had other goals.

I am definitely deficient in cardio... not compared to the regular person you pass on the street, but definitely compared to the kinda person I want to be.

I'm not sure about what you said regarding shoes. One thing is I have no choice in some of it. I have to do army exercises in running shoes. I have to wear combat boots about 12 hours a day. I'm not allowed to desole them with a saw.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 pm

can you get a combat sole that is flatter?
may you saw off just a bit of the heel?

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
I actually just don't know. I did 18 miles in 3 hours wearing 35 lbs with great difficulty about 15 years ago. Since then I've kept in reasonable shape, I've worn a rucksack at times to do things where I wasn't evaluating myself or keeping time and I know that unweighted I can walk basically forever (you know, until needing to eat, sleep, etc)...

So I just don't know.

What's wrong with being covered in salty sweat is the real goal is to do slightly less distance with slightly less weight without any real effort so that I can stop along the way and effectively do other things.

I do need to eat carbs. It hasn't mattered as much when I had other goals.

I am definitely deficient in cardio... not compared to the regular person you pass on the street, but definitely compared to the kinda person I want to be.

I'm not sure about what you said regarding shoes. One thing is I have no choice in some of it. I have to do army exercises in running shoes. I have to wear combat boots about 12 hours a day. I'm not allowed to desole them with a saw.

this is all too much thinking and not enough workout.

just do as much as possible six days a week and then eat and then sleeep
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 pm

I think you can probably tell I'm into thinking things out a bit.

Actually I can't resole them. The intended resoling would immediately be defined as "worn down and in need of replacement." Not only am I a soldier, but I'm like a teacher expected to be some kind of example to young kid (soldiers). I think my red "carnivore" bracelet is probably as far as I can push things here at DLI. Last place was different...

[EDIT -- I did work out this morning... must I always feel guilty!!!!!!! Yarg.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Sigh, DLI

I lived at 2000 David Ave

sigh sigh sigh

ok, now, what is the workout for tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Powerbocking 4-5 miles, unless I think of something better. Today was a pretty standard mix of sprints and bodyweight exercises outside. I won't start training for carrying heavy weights until I have a specific plan and hopefully have integrated it with not ignoring everything else. Like I said... I have two years... which is not infinity, but is also not two weeks.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 pm

does your heart rate get over 140 when yo bock?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:54 pm

I have no idea. Maybe when I sprint while doing it. I eat a lot more afterwards.

Also... am I just messed up in thinking it's weird that you want my heart to explode but worry about whether I pull a muscle while working out? It's like the army taught me incorrect work out stuff or something.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 pm

bok w/ 5 lbs in pockets from now on
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 am

Okay... how about in a backpack, though?

Oh... or grabit packs. I could do that.

Whichever is better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:34 am

Just pack around about 240-260lbs for 24+ years. I can carry around a hundred pounds distributed over my body without it phasing me. I can also lift my own body weight off the ground, but still working on a full chin-up.

There was an impromptu arm wrestling competition at SA4 and another gadgeteer won, but I didn't go down without a good fight.

White Baron. SteamCon. Rematch. Your defeat...

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:43 am

240 lbs? I'm not built like that. Like really not built like that. When I was younger I had to carry about 120 lbs for shorter distances... it was kinda fun, but not particularly the weight part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:46 am

Well, 3 1/2 years of slinging 35lb+ bankers boxes full of paper for 8 hours a day on shelves of varying heights will do things too. I believe this is called "shovelgloving" by the martial arts types.

Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am

Mega-Rad wrote:
Okay... how about in a backpack, though?

Oh... or grabit packs. I could do that.

Whichever is better.

Wouldn't the continual use of a weighted backpack cause back and spine problems?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Yeah, that's my big worry about HatchBack. When I get the shop done, I gotta trim the weight from that thing before I finish it.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:33 pm

I actually read your first message wrong, Victim. For some reason I thought you meant to literally carry (extra) loads of 240-260 pounds for exercise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm

LOL. I probably could carry that much, but not for half my life... Razz

Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:15 am

*THWACK* damn it Vic! I actually had to see 8 like that one time. of course this induced a laughing fit.

Mega- my happy @$$ varies in weight between 165-175 and much more than........ 40+10+15+10+..... oh yeah 2! oh shit! I didn't even realize until I did that right there. anyways, much more than that and a mile down the creek and back can be a killer (not to mention the pain in the ass of actually having to climb over things that are usually easily traversed Mario Bros. style} so for the most part, when the gear has been used, it has been piecemeal because those couple times in a row I did the whole thing were...... not my best idea.

I really should start again but I actually forgot about the gear when I started carrying my youngest on my shoulders. wiggling little masses on your shoulders make for interesting balancing acts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear   Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Physical Training to Wear Body Armor and Heavy Gear
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next