Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What styles?

Go down 
+12
Rebound
Champion
Flora V. Arbor
Paladin
Zombie
DRock
The Samaritan
Blue Alpha
E0N (Inactive)
Urban Avenger
dcguardian
Prof. Midnight
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:05 am

I was just curious, what fighting styles/martial arts/combat sports has everyone here studied/practiced?
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:18 am

when i began it was called ninjutsu. . .now it's refered to as taijutsu. . .going on 25 years. . .

dc
Back to top Go down

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 am

My ex got me into Shorin Ryu Karate. Sadly, I only got a yellow belt before I moved. I also learned how to fence Foil...don't know if that really qualifies as a combat style though...
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58 am

chinese kenpo, aikido, and krav maga (only studied, never practiced)
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:33 pm

"Modern Army Combatives" and a small amount of Kempo when I was younger. I need to find something and get into it... formal training in martial arts is one of my weakest areas.

Oh yeah... some class on "Close-Quarters-Battle," too. The gist of it: "palm heel strike them in the face."

(EDIT - also some Issinryu with a neighbor for a few months)

Last edited by Mega-Rad on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Krav Maga-Not official, just learned alot from people who practice it.
Combat Sambo-Same
Karate-Blue belt
Boxing-Dad taught me (he competed in the NE Golden Gloves back in the day)
Submission wrestling-Taught by my Jr High wrestling coach, my Gandfather (Navy, 1949-1952), and my pro wrestling teacher (he had an old school aproach of thinking a worker has to defend himself if his opponent shoots)
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, Aka Ninjutsu or Ninpo
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Took some Sikaran Arnis Karate when I was younger. But that's too long ago. Also took some wrestling in high school.

Now I'm signing up for a Jiu Jitsu dojo that opened up a block away from work.
Back to top Go down

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Im a huge fan of akido. I have not begun to start training, but i will soon. The best way to describe akido is the path of least resistance. It turns your enemies kinetic energy against them with little power to the defender. Also akido is a practice for taking on multiple enemies at once. Unfortunately the time frame that you'll be learning in order to get to i guess in terms Black Belt is 5 years. Most of the training goes like in this order ... falling , more falling , sparing, more falling, disarming, falling hah. but all in all look at steven seigals stuff on youtube and other videos.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm

I have no formal training so I guess I would be classified as a streetfighter. I don't exactly concider it a good thing.
Back to top Go down

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:27 pm

WWII combatives (Fairbairn and Applegate), a bit of boxing, a bit of kickboxing, a little karate.

Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:11 am

Northern Shaolin, Okinawa Go Ju Ryu, SCA heavy combat, WMA/HEMA..

Now taking My Jhong Law Horn Kung Fu, as well as continuing SCA and WMA/HEMA

...also, lots and lots of streetfighting from growing up in bad neighbourhood and being a first round draft pick by the gangs in the neighbourhood... only, I didn't want to sign up with any of the local "teams', so I was in everyone's bad books.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 am

nunchaka since 1976

kenpo since 1981
Tai Chi, Shotokan, Tai Quack Do ( OH! did I type that ?)

Hwa Rang Do

Landscaping since 2001

disgusted by cardio kick blahxing
and so I wrote my own

cardio karate ( DVD coming soon )

- since 1999

It was nice to write up just the stuff that works
for a 135 pound woman
AND do EVERY thing left AND right
and then, just hammer it for 45 minutes at a time - then blind folded,
then, with cartwheel
(MD, STOP with the sexy pics!! you look pounce-on-able all the time with your furry face!!)
Back to top Go down
Champion

Champion

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 am

i'm hoping to study krav maga soon enough. i hear it is the closest thing to real world self defense training.

i found a website for a place in NJ that trains in it but the site doesn't tell you where in NJ they are.
Back to top Go down

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:38 am

It's been years since I worked out and trained with anyone, and there isn't anything close to a formal combat gym or dojo near us.

So, I'm getting some pads and Grey Man and myself are going to start pounding away on each other for speed, power, and control.

If it isn't available, you have to improvise and mix it up a bit.

Flora: Shocked Okay. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 am

Landscaping allows one to lift rocks a LOT
and hit the ground as hard as you possibly
can for hours and hours
Back to top Go down
Rebound

Rebound

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Lol, I guess the ground could make a good substitute for a heavy bag. Even more so if it was only vertical...

Throughout highschool and freshman year of college I studied various sword and staff fighting styles and practiced with friends. None of us were professionals, but it was good practice for any kind of stick-like weapon and one of my friends was great at learning various German and Italian styles and teaching the rest of us. Some of the disarming and takedown techniques we practiced were useful.

I took some Tae Kwon Doe around a year ago, not so much to learn the style as to get some practice learning how to kick and punch harder.

Right now I'm learning Judo which is awesome, practical, and something I'd recommend to anyone for self-defense. I've also been practicing some Tai Chi lately, not as useful as Judo in a martial setting, but still a good way to train your body to move smoothly and fluidly.
Back to top Go down
IllusiveALUCARD

IllusiveALUCARD

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Personnally my style is matter over mind... if it don't matter, than I don't mind.

Just kidding, I've never had any formal training in anything, never had the opportunity to get any formal training. I have never even had a true reason to fight... stopped a few before, maily cause I speared the aggressor to the ground, but even then they were my friends, and they understood I wasn't going to allow the fight.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:33 pm

hain't nuttin' wrong wit not fighting.

@ Rebound:

hitting down is always going to be the harder hit
and
landscaping has MANY opportunies from many angles
with lots of twists and resistance.

Landscaping is the one place where I use all of my martial arts training
all the time.

The next question would be where you hit and why.

I offer the Movie "Taken".

He bashes people's heads up against things and then,
shuts the person off by hitting the neck.

My technique is the let the person get tired
with my superior cardio
until their arms go down.

Then, I shut off the arm at the deltoid
and then, shut off the person at the neck.

Punching, laterally, is minimally effective at best
and
really just a way to get exercise.

As long as the person' arms work, you are just using up
calories trying to punch laterally
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Flora... how'd you find Hwa Rang Do? It has a long history in Korea... there are references to the, uh... Knights of the Flower or Flower Youths or whatever you want to call "Hwarang" having special powers and being able to transform into demons/ghosts while fighting and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:23 pm

MR: Flower of Youth Way

I was needing a new school in Phoenix
after my favorite moved too far away.

I picked the closest one the didn't creep me out
and it happened to be Hwa Rang Do.

They taught us, hitting AND healing
and joint locks and throws and kick and punches
AND Korean

I had to move away myself much too soon
Sad
Back to top Go down

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

My technique is the let the person get tired
with my superior cardio
until their arms go down.
Ah, the ropa dope. Nice.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:50 pm

I've been curious about Hapkido for similar reasons... same Chinese characters as "Aikido."

The inclusion of healing makes sense. I wish I knew what they really studied in ye olden days. Koreans just generally know the legendary stuff about it.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
I've been curious about Hapkido for similar reasons... same Chinese characters as "Aikido."

The inclusion of healing makes sense. I wish I knew what they really studied in ye olden days. Koreans just generally know the legendary stuff about it.

It is really nice to just look up my teacher

LINKS - HOME PAGE: SOCIETY OF THE HWARANG
Ken Corona is a Master instructor of Hwa Rang Do. Master Gil Kim's Hwa Rang ...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - Cached - SimilarShow more results from hwarang.org
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Tried TKD but hated it.
Trained Judo for 6 months, whole lotta fun. Same with Muay Thai.
Played a bit with greek-roman wrestling and boxing, but not organized, just friendly sparring.

Aikido is the only style I've sticked to. Guess I'm more about the art than the fighting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What styles? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What styles?   What styles? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What styles?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next