Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Martial Arts options

Go down 
+8
Superhero
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Prof. Midnight
onikage
Dark Guardian
Flora V. Arbor
Rebound
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Martial Arts options - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Superhero wrote:
@reb: I've kinda hung back & just read this one over for ya. I think I'm gonna get Symbiote to come to town & we'll shoot a video for ya of how to stay away & hurt the bigger guy, but until then yeah Flora is right and only in the Dojo...Tossing a bigger guy can be done, but do you really want to get in close and LOWER on a guy like me, Raz, or heaven forbid Phantom Zero and try to toss 'em?

In the mean time, if you don't want to go to ground with the bigger guy, every time he tries to grab you, step off to the side & block the arms. Then with the other hand either crack him across the nose....or even worse take your thumb & run it up the ridge of his nose into his eye. That should be the end of the fight.

If he tries to shoot dead in on you like he's going for a fireman's carry or a double leg sweep, drop one leg back like you're doing a lunge, sissor his head between your forearms and toss him off to the side where you dropped back the leg. From there you can either let go & stay up, or get on top of him into three point control & use his head for a speed bag.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about but the next time I get together with Sym I'll see if he wants to shoot a demo. That boy is a killing machine though. His idea of getting the bigger guy was to DIVE over the top of him...get him in a choke upside down & they both go to the mats like a vertical sulpex while he's choking him out! He actually did this! So there are all kinds of ways to get the bigger guy. Those are just simple two that work well.

I'd like to see a demo of that.
As a big man, I do not underestimate smaller people, and it would be good for the big guys to check something like this out for a lesson in what to watch for in the smaller people.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Superhero You should come get me I might be small enough to take you on Don't worry Ill go easy on you and try really really hard to keep you away from the hospital So How aboput a little warm up say Arm wrestleing match between myself and every member of Team Justice
Back to top Go down
Rebound

Rebound

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:22 pm

@sup- That video would be very helpful, I read your description but its hard to follow without being able to picture it.

@Z- Hadn't heard much about Systema before, but reading the wiki page on it makes me think it should be very useful to you. I've no idea where the nearest place I could get training it it would be though. Definitely a style to keep in mind for future training though.

@Flora- I did landscaping and grounds maintenance for several summers in a row to keep in shape. It definitely works, but it tires you out too much to do much else some days. Hopefully I'll find another good job this summer which will have a physical aspect to it instead of being cooped up in an office all summer like I was this year.
Back to top Go down
Alastor

Alastor

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Just my 2 cents...

Wing Chun
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Systema looks awesome, actually... finally read about it. For practicality's sake for me I'm trying to set up army combatives along with Jujutsu (on which combatives is mostly based). We'll see. (Combatives is free to me, just not available 100% of the time -- I have to tag along with younger guys according to some aperiodically scheduled training cycles)

I don't say that's the best or anything. It's just the best plan for me in terms of what's available, what quality of instruction, etc etc. There's a pretty impressive Jujutsu headquarters down the street from my office.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:25 pm

@Mid: rules for the big guy are simple if you ask me....If he's trying to box you, tackle him, if he's trying to get you on the ground shove him back.

@AL: I took Jeet Kune Do privately and it's a off shoot of Wing Chung. I liked it because you stayed in the center and didn't shoot off to the sides which if your strong enough for it works really well.
Back to top Go down
Alastor

Alastor

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh yeah, Superhero, Jeet Kune Do and Bruce Lee are the main reasons I got into wang chun in the first place haha. I've always been impressed by it and started studying it over the past year. It works really well for me. I couldn't love it any more. I like to cover what I can. I did a lot of freestyle wrestling growing up. I learned judo from my father when I was a teenager. Last year I started doing muay thai for some more striking and clinching experience and then I finally started the style i've always wanted to learn with W.C. It deninitely was hit and miss for a while though. You really do have to find what your strengths are and do what you feel most comfortable with.

Last edited by Alastor on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 pm

That's always gonna be the bottom line. Play your strengths. Like a always say, Zimmer isn't gonna deadlift 405 lbs. & I'm not gonna climb the side of a building with my hands anytime soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
Follow on question, are you talking about the same Line system as the marines used to use?

The Same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts options   Martial Arts options - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Martial Arts options
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2