Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

psychological training

Go down 
+9
Radnor
Anonyman
Proteus
Urban Avenger
Superhero
E0N (Inactive)
Equal
Gauge
Zombie
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

psychological training - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 pm

yeah that's what they told me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 am

i have seen to much death but know thats how it goes.i watched a good friend get hit by a car on his bicycle.his head smashed and blood flowed in the street.i worked with the guy for years but because of the life i have lived it hardly phased me.i was mad at the driver they let off without even a ticket.i stood there and watched a fireman wash his blood down a gutter.he was a homeless guy so to them it did not matter.
i also worked in a hospital where i had to go in the morgue everyday.i saw all kinds of chopped up people but the ones that were the weirdest were the murder victims.i would go into the freezer rooms to look at there faces.one i will never forget was of a women who was choked to death, the look of horror was still on her face.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 am

Violence triggers a number of physiological response patterns that can interfer with mental and physical ability at critical moments. The best way to train one's self for violence is to gain control of these physiological responses.

Heart Rate
Blood Pressure
Muscle Tension
Breathing

If you can control these things you will be better able to deal with traumatic situations.

Gadgetastic!
The Body is the Best Gadget.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 am

Sounds like you had a truamatic experience Superhero At least somebody lived so thats a good thing Ill pm you with my own simular experience
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:47 pm

I moved this cause it didn't really fit in the public section..... I'm also not to happy about the "not being disturbed by" segment and how far we got with that but that may just be me......

aside from that, unless something else goes down.... carry on
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 pm

If you have a *specific* training objective in watching a video clip that includes suffering/death, that's a little different. The videos I saw of a highway trooper dying and a CNS shot in, uh, Laos I think it was... those were informative. But desensitizing people to the suffering wasn't the point.

The trooper showed how long a guy can continue to live after being fatally shot (through the heart) and it was quite a while... really sad to watch. The CNS shot was instant death.

Anyway, stuff like that can be informative. But watching a guy die in an electric chair or eat brains out of a monkey's head etc isn't training.

If you want to cultivate "steely resolve" practice deep breathing, how to deal with panic attacks, and what happens physiologically to you in a crisis (i.e. tunnel vision, loss of gross motor skills, etc). Also maybe do (safe or relatively safe) things you are personally afraid of. I'm pretty introverted -- that's a big part of why I do standup comedy regularly.

Also drill... like Superhero said earlier, training will take over if you've trained. It might not always be the best thing to have happen, but it's almost always better than doing nothing.

The scenario stuff Urban Avenger and Mr. Xtreme are doing is probably very good for that.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Some people just aren't. It's a Psychopathic Tendancy.

The problem is for those people is that they REALLY have to go out of their way to feel much emotion at all. Or hang around people with expolsive personalities to get a charge from them.

Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold had that type of union.
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm

I advocate training as well. I personally have quite a bit of sparring experience ("No Punch" as it were for the most part, some heavy contact) my experience with various weapons and a bunch of "Rock Hopping" and running through the hills with a bunch of climbing (rocks/trees) for as long as I have been able. every time I have found myself in the path of serious immediate threat or encountered something catastrophic, I gain lucidity and take action immediately. freaking out about it comes later.

also;
I witnessed a pretty horrific/gruesome accident on top of personally enduring some prior "illumination" into the mind and homelife of a schizophrenic/semi-sociopath/psyco as this person attempted to take my life (second attempt, another intervened both times) before I was 4.
I don't like watching surgeries or other such things, even when it's just make-up (Nip/Tuck is my least favorite show in the world) because it doesn't fascinate me and it makes me uncomfortable to think about being cut or cutting someone..... but at 13 yrs old a piece of window that was broken and hidden from sight slice a pretty impressive gash in my forearm. I didn't notice it at first and was leaving when I remembered something I'd left sitting where I'd been so I turned to grab it and saw a puddle of red liquid. once I realized it was blood I looked for the source....... at this point my mind got clear;

A. situation critical, bleeding severely, closest help almost a quarter mile away, no shoes,
step-Dad is at the creek.

B. solution simple- use hand/shirt to apply and maintain pressure to wound, can't call 911.... phone's in the house and don't want blood everywhere, walking and to hell with the shoes.

C. take action- arrive at destination, yell "*it wasn't nice cause that's how he made it*, come here! I need help."

he says "Whazzat?" and walks towards me.

I repeat myself while using my wound as a puppet (I'm not a good ventriloquist.... but I try sometimes) and the color drained from his face.

then I went and got stitches

THE END

true story..... still don't like stuff like that. but I know that I can and will do what is necessary and right when put in the situation, and I learned from various past experiences.

and what SH said about the psychopathic tendency is true as well.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:57 pm

You "act" Instead or "React" . You know that much...

WTH is that new avitar anyway?
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Superman's enemy from that Earth 1 story, Tyrell (no it's not the Silver Banshee post-op) and what they put out there for elevation in his backstory has me kind of excited to see if he shows up in regular continuity.

it was either this or the one superhero that I most identify with in the TV lexicon.............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

that was just too obvious though
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 pm

What you learn before age five is hardest to unlearn.

I've practiced Yoga since 1977.

I have been homeless three times.

I got to test my control MANY times.

Bottom line: learn to control your self or you are feral.

I have a friend who has been an emergency room nurse for over 30 years.

NO ONE has a better story than he has
( did I say "pompus"? I'm sorry but he's earned it.)

Watching is not doing

Watch guiltar playing allllllllllll day and night.
You ain't getting hired to play
Back to top Go down
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:43 am

Flora, my alleged bodily fluid donor proved that last bit wrong from what I've been told. except for it wasn't "watching"..... it was listening. and there was a couple things aside from guitar......
that he taught himself to play. we may not make money that way but some people do
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 pm

You have to pick up the guitar to play it.
...can't just watch

"...bodily fluid donor..."

I might have to use this phrase...

you have to get in the ring to fight or go pick them.

It is the distance between theory and practice that is being disscussed ne c'pas?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Gadgetastic! wrote:
Violence triggers a number of physiological response patterns that can interfer with mental and physical ability at critical moments. The best way to train one's self for violence is to gain control of these physiological responses.

Heart Rate
Blood Pressure
Muscle Tension
Breathing

If you can control these things you will be better able to deal with traumatic situations.

Gadgetastic!
The Body is the Best Gadget.

You can cotrol the breathing and some of the muscle action

The others cannot be cotroled except as a result of controling the breathing.

Once the adrenililne starts, it is 1.5 hours to settle down.

Exercise, yard or housework drumming, screaming or singing can help get through that 1.5 and allow you to sleep that night.

I have a lecture for PTSD and a plaque for giving it
BUT PEOPLE NEED TO IMPLEMENT THE INFO
I dont' need credit!!

Just do wot I tell ya!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: psychological training   psychological training - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

psychological training
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2