Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Empty
PostSubject: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Here's one, which some of you probably already know.

It's called a "Five-Point Contingency Plan."

Remembered as GO-TWA.

When you go on patrol or split into smaller teams and separate, ideally you would communicate this to the people you're working with...

(G) where I'm Going
(O) Others I'm taking
(T) Time of my return (this would be an appropriate time to synchronize watches and stuffs so everyone's pretty much in agreement about what time it is)
(W) What to do if I don't return [Shouldn't be "wait another 15 minutes" or else just set the time later]
(A) Actions to take if I'm hit (let's say "if things go wrong," I guess) or Actions to take if you're hit

(EDIT -- I guess I failed to mention... what I'm suggesting here is that other people post stuff like this that they know about. Razz)
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Mods -- sorry guys, I've probably posted these last few threads in inappropriate locations. I'm trying to think where to post for community discussion on training without the authoritative "here's how to do it" angle.

Anyway, here's another one, actually called "Principles of Patroling"

PRSCC (I recommend you make your own mnemonic; the only ones I know are vulgar and offense, including the words "Sucks" and "Constantly.")

PLAN - There's a thing called PACE planning (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) which is mostly used for planning comms. Pretty much planning a patrol involves having an objective and a way in which you expect to achieve it. Most RLSH patrols seem to be what I know as "presence patrols" -- i.e. show your presence and react to targets of opportunity. Even handout patrols seem to take this as a given most of the time.

RECON - Gather info about your area, define patrol boundaries, identify "rally points," safe locations, etc, can involve going there, checking crime stats, "map recon," etc

SECURITY - Situational awareness, monitoring and being able to react to potential threats 360 degrees around the 3-4 guys (or whatever) actually doing the patrol

CONTROL - Comms are the most effective way to assure this. At least verbal communication, probably phones, maybe radios... hand and arm signals are probably a bit much for an urban environment with no need to be silent. If you have a designated patrol leader, then you can do the whole "follow me and do as I do" bit, which is pretty intuitive. It's not like a choreographed dance or anything, but if the leader stops, for ex., then so does everyone else.

COMMON SENSE - Yeah, you know.

Last edited by E0N on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added an s)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 am

You're just full of good ideas! I don't know that this is comprehensive, but I might consider the following to be my personal acronym for socially responsible do gooding (especially patrolling):

BRAVE

Be aware that "hero" is a loaded term (politically, historically, philosophically). What does it mean to you, and what does it mean to the stakeholders you propose to help? Are these ideologies commensurate?

Respect community leaders and know your place. Are you even wanted there?

Anticipate the worst and have backup and/or a backup plan. This means patrolling with a partner when possible and having a reliable comm source and lookout network.

Vary your routine and methods, and remain unpredictable.

Everyone needs an Alfred. If you don't have deep, personal, emotional support I don't see how you can do this for very long. But hey, maybe you're a real bad ass.

-A
______

The quest for justice is eternal

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 am

how about Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 am

Urban Avenger wrote:
how about Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance?

Now if only people could remember that phrase...lol

Planning ahead is really important. Especially now during winter. Make sure that you gear up appropriately. If your uniform won't keep out the cold properly DO NOT USE IT! You're going out there to help people. You can't do that with Frostbite and Hypothermia.

Another thing that I can't seem to reiterate enough is to wear good shoes on patrol. If you wear boots without much insulation in the sole, your feet will be killing you after about half an hour of walking

I guess what I'm saying is, use common sense with your uniform and gear too. Take the weather into account. Take your activities into account.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I only bring along my shovel if I really think im going to need it However its ready if I get any calls saying that somebody is stuck and they need me now My problem is not all taxies will let you bring the shovel on the ride with you even if you explain that youre out to help someone For this If I need to bring my shovel and get a cab to that location I know a few cabbie numbers and request them to come get me so I dont have to walk all the way across town The only reason I did that last year was because the cabs were already called off the roads because of the ice when a skidoo got stalled out on the lake Im glad I did that because on the way back there were other cars including a police truck that slid off the road and the tow truck was also having trouble getting out there Also some kids went down a tube slide and found that the bottom of it got blocked off by the plow and it was too slippery to try to climb back out so another kid saw me comming and had me help him rescue his friends After that Me and those kids went to the princapal at the school and appealed to him to have that playstructure demolished because of its age and because we did not want any more chances of somebody freezing in the bottom of the slides
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Before I go I was wondering if anybody else ever takes a break from patrols to grab a coffee from the coffee shop while wearing their full outfits? Last night a guy who must have been new in town saw me over in the corner store buying some food to take home and called the cops on his cell However when they came over they did not realise that he was talking about me and at first thought he was making a false alarm call Then they all laughed at him like he was the bottom of a joke before explaining to him who I am and that Im always wearing my mask when out patroling entertaining kids or clearing snow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)   Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Patrol tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)
Page 1 of 1