Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

what is good about ur technique?

Go down 
+8
Flora V. Arbor
Gauge
E0N (Inactive)
Equal
Ako
Trixus
Red Dragon
NightAngel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
NightAngel

NightAngel

what is good about ur technique? Empty
PostSubject: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 am

what is one technique from any background of martial arts that u learned and is helpfull?
Back to top Go down
Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Combat Sambo - Depriving my opponent of his/her ability to strike
Military - Violence of Action
Tae Kwon Do - A sense of humor
Muay Thai - The value of well-placed kick
Back to top Go down
Trixus

Trixus

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 pm

MMA - I just like the way it breaks down basic punches kicks and locks/throws/grappling. It s quality, not quantity in most fights. Most people aren't trained to fight and that makes a huge difference.

I would love to learn muay thai and some traditional wrestling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:23 pm

You're learning MMA without Muay Thai? That's odd, most MMA is Muay Thai and BJJ.
Back to top Go down
Trixus

Trixus

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Learned* I am not actively learning. I haven't trained steadily since 2005

Muay thai and BJJ are the base of most MMAs yes. That doesn't mean I don't want to study pure muay thai with someone... we didn't do alot of bone strengthening etc in my classes more just techniques, I am looking for more immersion.

Edit... to add alot of the things you learn in MMA programs are rules based, and Muay thai offers a wider range of techniques and benefits form broader use of elbows/knees to aforementioned bone work.
Back to top Go down
Ako

Ako

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:08 pm

i have a buddy coming down who used to train muay thai MMA guys and has promised me some one on one training. not rules based either..
he was down a couple weeks ago and he had heard about a recent fight i broke up. while discussing the technique i used to end the fight.. almost a tiger claw throat strike.. he showed me how with just a little more pressure on the lymph nodes a leg sweep and pinching the zygomatic nerve branch between the eyes and above the nose will cause a full body seizure for as long as you hold it.
while i doubt ill be running around doing this.. it was awesome to know. and i cant wait for some training.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Holding a weapon (bokken/jo). Same powerful grip can be applied to throws and holds. Very useful.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Di Di Mao technique. It's Vietnamese.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Tiger styles have taught me great aggression without regard for defense. Not very good for normal patrols, but it sure intensifies your survival instinct if you get into something nasty. But the guy who taught me still scares the crap out of me.
Back to top Go down
Ako

Ako

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:03 am

Gauge wrote:
Tiger styles have taught me great aggression without regard for defense. Not very good for normal patrols, but it sure intensifies your survival instinct if you get into something nasty. But the guy who taught me still scares the crap out of me.

i was sucker punched and it is reactionary for me.. thats what i get for thinking a fight is over just because they were leaving
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 am

cardio

out last

My others are secrets that I MIGHT share on PM
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 am

krav maga.

strike hard, fast, and outlive the enemy.

surviving is winning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:58 am

MMA (mostly Muay Thai and BJJ)

Good: Well rounded, stand-up and ground fighting, keeps me in great shape, vicious strikes from MT

Bad: is designed for sport...not designed for facing weapons or more than one opponent. BJJ in self defense = death by stomping.

But I think it's a decent foundation to lay for myself, and find some stuff to augment it later.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:39 am

Isshinryu Karate - Good striking, self defense. Practical modern karate style rather than traditional older styles.
Judo - Throws, grappling, chokes, locks, armbars.

My only issue with my school is that they on principal do not teach any kind of gun defense. I understand that endorsing gun defense methods is a liability, and that gun defense is very risky at best, but in the event that someone isn't just holding me up for my money, and actually intends harm to me, I'd like SOME method of bettering my odds.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 pm

In Kenpo, they taught us ONE anti-gun technique.

It was ALL about getting out of the line of the bullet-path
Back to top Go down
Defie

Defie

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Taiji/Tai Chi - Understanding body mechanics, Subduing opponent with little or no striking,

QiGong - Health reasons, understanding the "chi" element

Jian/sword - Because it's cool.

I have this one:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Ghost Knight

Ghost Knight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:46 am

Yamabushi Okinawin Karate/Togakure Ninjistu: Using the four elements as discription for fighting styles - Earth=stand your ground, Fire=attack forward, Water=redirect the energy, Air=don't be where the enrgy strikes.
I'm not built for the first two. 5'6. 140 lbs.

Also the stealth and concealment techiques.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 am

See:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Remember: when you go to a martial arts instructor, there's a 50/50 chance he's in the bottom half of great instructors in your area. Any style, no matter how great, can be ruined by just one idiot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Unfortunately that is very true Zimmer.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:03 pm

true true true.

I tell people to look for women THROUGHOUT the ranks.

Women at the white belt or black belt only is a bad sign
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is good about ur technique?   what is good about ur technique? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

what is good about ur technique?
Page 1 of 1