Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lentation/Tineko

Go down 
+6
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
Enviroman
Sleepless
Equal
Urban Avenger
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:57 pm

I've been reading some on the subject of lentation and tineko. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's essentially slowing down everything around you by increasing your rate of perception by controlling adrenalin rushes. Think Spidey Sense. To me, it seems really useful in the event of a fight, and I've seen a few guidebooks/people claiming to teach lentation. The only thing is, a controlled adrenalin rush seems a bit cheesy, so I'm curious if any of you know whether or not there's truth to lentation/tineko?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Total bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Don't see how it shouldn't be possible. But I belive total control would be hard to learn. I wouldn't depend on it.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Total bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Wow, THAT'S a term I haven't heard in a while. While the phenomenon does occur, typically in a high-stress situation, "harnessing" is both extremely unlikely, and, probably, extremely harmful. In addition, I'm not sure what it would do, since the, let's call it, "time displacement effect" seems to apply only to our perception of events as they occur, not the actual speed at which our body moves and reacts.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Yeah... no.

Being in a crisis situation definitely screws with your sense of time, but it's a physiological response getting you ready to fight or run away. Your perception is actually restricted (tunnel vision) and you lose fine motor skills. (meaning you're not enhanced) If I remember right your body is concentrating oxygen to your core in the interest of keeping you alive. Something like that.

I don't suppose you could do that at will unless you can induce panic attacks at will.

You can increase your effective perception by practicing observation strategies. It doesn't even matter much what strategies you use, IMO, as long as they're systematic. You can also increase your effectiveness in a crisis by relying on gross motor skills and remembering to look around because your peripheral vision is restricted.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 pm

...what Eon said
and
you can mount a bunch of xmas lights that blink at random
on a flat board on a wall,
stand close and practice touching each light as it blinks
and
BREATHE while you practice.

In six weeks of doing it daily, you will see improvement
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Quote :

it's essentially slowing down everything around you by increasing your rate of perception by controlling adrenalin rushes

We had some dude a while back who claimed he could do this. He posted it on several threads AND started multiple threads about it, all at once. He's gone now.

Adrenaline can be helpful or harmful, depending, but its near impossible to control.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:57 pm

I wanted to mention that guy. But I liked my response better.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 am

The guy that was claiming was talking about holding in "release" until he could levitate, yes?

You can't control adrenaline but you can control yourself.

S.E.A.L. s are men who can do what is needed without adrenaline - calmly
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 am

This reminds me of when a friend and I used to goof around playing ping pong. We'd start with one ball, add another, and another. Our goal was not to beat each other but to keep the volley going for as long as possible. After a year or so we actually got pretty good, up to four going at once for several minutes at a time. The weird part was that for several minutes after a particularly good volley we both experienced what, I suppose good be called a perceptual dialation effect. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. We were both comic book nuts so of course we thought of super powers. Smile

Problems with practical use:

1. It only lasted for a few minutes.

2. It was actually a bit confusing and sometimes made us dizzy.

3. Carrying a ping pong table around and asking the bad guys to hold on for a few hours while we get our powers working.

But it sure was fun to imagine we had superpowers. Wink
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:50 am

Berserker rage?
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:53 am

I'd think the berserker thing would be more a, "I don't care if I survive so i can devote everything to the fight" effect.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:14 am

The most likely theory is self hypnosis. I found berserk quite intresting as a MA a few years ago and tried to recreate the rage. Worked on on lifting, but found it took to long time to activate to be used in effective self defense.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 am

Dogman, that is why S.E.A.L.s use guys that don't need it

beserker rage is uncontroled adrenaline in a body large enough for anyone to care
if they are nearby.

I'd love to do a thread about self hypnosis.
I have about five, simple truths to share.
If someone else starts it, I'll post

That ping pong thing is worth getting good act.
Think about your first year at a piano...not so good...

but 10 years...maybe people pay you to play.

I vote for that pingpong thing getting more attention
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:12 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
I'd love to do a thread about self hypnosis.
I have about five, simple truths to share.
If someone else starts it, I'll post

What a coincidence, I was just about to...
Back to top Go down

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:52 am

Sure, Lentation/Tineko is possible. Personally, I believe anything imaginable is "possible" theoretically. The real question is, "Would it be useful?" My answer would be no; it would not be useful. First off, you'd have to learn how to master it, which could take years; perhaps even decades. Second, it would be harmful to your body. Thirdly, you don't need to use force to defend yourself from assailants. Learn Aikido. It probably takes just as long to master as Lentation/Tineko, but it's far more versatile, and has been proven to be effective. Aikido techniques (at least in the style I'm learning; the original one passed down from O'Sensei) rely on you NOT using strength or force, in fact, it is VITAL that you be completely, and totally relaxed. When a stick is stiff and rigid, it breaks more easily, than say, the stick which is flexible and bendy. This is why drunk people don't usually end up breaking any bones when they topple down a staircase in a drunken stupor. It's also why a man who was knocked unconscious by a flying flower vase during a tornado not only didn't die, but didn't break a single bone when the tornado picked him and his house up, hurling him over a mile away through the air.

That is where Aikido's strength lies; in being perfectly relaxed and flexible. If you have any tension, or try to force it, chances are you will just end up sabotaging your techniques which will fall flat instead of going the way it should have. Think of how much tension is in your arms right now without you even knowing it. How much does each of your arms weigh? Maybe 15 or 20 pounds each? A total of 30 or 40 pounds? How much of that weight is being supported by the natural tension in your arms? The answer is probably "Most of it." Just relax your arms as much as you can, and you'll be able to tell the difference. That's about 40 pounds that you can now use to throw your opponents around the room with, using minimal effort. You don't have that extra weight though when you're tensed up, full of adrenaline, or trying to brute force your way through obstacles. 

Aikido shouldn't just be looked at as a martial art; it's a philosophy and a way of life as well. It's all about surrendering control to an aggressor, instead of trying to force your aggressor into submission. Many of the techniques involve simply helping your opponent finish what he was trying to do, consistently ending with him defeating himself. .....Probably because he wasn't relaxedLaughing

Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:59 am

The creator disavowed the style, saying the massive adrenaline dumps were harmful to health.
Adrenaline does suppress the immune system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lentation/Tineko Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentation/Tineko   Lentation/Tineko Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Lentation/Tineko
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: