Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

martial art styles

Go down 
+20
Polarman
Sleepless
Blue Alpha
Gauge
Dark Guardian
JohnDoe
Psyphon
TheCheshireCat
Zimmer
Justice258
Prof. Midnight
Midnite Detective
dcguardian
Citizen
Flora V. Arbor
Red Dragon
Superhero
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
NightAngel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I was the one who mentioned "curb stomping," basically as hyperbole.

I wouldn't practice this "anything goes" method, personally. I don't see the training value in risking being maimed or laid up with a broken bone for a few months.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:18 pm

The first rule of fight club is, you do not talk about fight club.

The second rule of fight club is, you do not talk about fight club.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:19 pm

LOL
Thank you Urban Avenger Smile
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 pm

With my team, we use surprise tactics. Just enough to gauge the first few seconds of an encounter. We make sure they will act in their own defense, and not panic under pressure.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm

That's an awesome idea since things are usually over in just a few seconds anyways. How do you guys start off the hiders so you don't know where they are? Is it like grown up hide and seek to start out? Or do you just pop out when one of you're team-mates is on his way in the house with the groceries?

Have you guys gotten to the point of moving into the surprise attack as it happens yet?

What martial arts style do you see yourself and your team reacting with the most in those situations?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 pm

The scenarios are vast, but my favorite is the damsel in distress setup. One bad guy, one damsel. Everyone fails this, because, while dashing to the rescue, they fail to look out for the extra guy. The accomplice they didn't see because they got tunnel vision. I failed it myself, once upon a time. But the point of the attacks is not whether you win, but whether you fight, flee, or freeze. It never gets far beyond five seconds or so. No attacks ever take place in personal homes. It's nice to keep that boundary.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 am

We need more sparring at RLSH meetups. And not like BS sparring but almost-but-not-quite a hospital visit sparring.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:10 am

Can you uh.. participate in those zimmer? I only ask cuz of your accidente.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:39 am

I would love to see videos of RLSH sparring. I'd love to see these unconventional sparring sessions if they do indeed happen.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:46 am

Why do they need to be so unconventional?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:49 am

I probably shouldn't, it's easy to take me out, just tap my scar tissue. But I've done light sparring with the NYI when I was up there and I did more than ok.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:37 am

Psyphon wrote:
@Anonyman, RLSH: Don't worry we're more careful than it sounds when you look at it in type. If you were there in person you'd see that we have lots of fall back plans and safety precautions in place to keep us alive in case of emergency, including 1 or 2 nurses on hand at any given time. We started training like that about 13 years ago and we're all still alive so we must be doing something right ... and it's only gotten safer over the years. The most dangerous time was when we first started, and we managed to live through that by pure luck I'm sure.

Another side note. I taught martial arts classes for about 10 years and I never once, not a single time, trained anyone how we train, nor did I give them the impression that they should train how we did on thier own. As a matter of fact they only knew about it through word of mouth ... we wouldn't even train in front of them (at least not that way).

Gauge wrote:
Wow. I generally agree with most of your posts, Psyphon, but I must say your version of full contact doesn't seem to be a good fit for rlsh activities.

I agree with you completely Gauge. That's why I'm trying to change the subject back the the thread topic. I do what I do, because that's what me and my friends do. We are not training for RLSH activities and so the combat situations we are training for are going to be different than yours. I'm only here to lend my experience with the finer points of martial arts that I've learned over the years with this community. We got a bit too far off topic because I was answering questions from Nemesis, then I just got a bit to real with a semi-joke that E0N made. Thank you for speaking your mind Gauge.

I DO NOT WANT ANYONE HERE TO TRAIN HOW I DO (not yelling, just want that statement to be seen). I do, however believe that you can all benefit from closer to real life training scenarios (by that I mean more than just forms or kata, and more than TKD style sparring, NOT what I do). Although it sounds like that what some people are already doing. And I mean that for whatever martial art style you're doing, from MMA to TCC.

If you decide you do want to discuss it, maybe make a separate thread and throw in a million disclaimers. Usually you have made a lot of sense. I'd like to hear about some of it, especially the safety factors.

But if you're not exaggerating, I don't see the value of some of the risks you describe... which is a point I hope I've made and won't continue with.

Then again my only "full contact" sparring experience was basically wrestling and we wore mouthguards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 12 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

martial art styles
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: