Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wing Chun

Go down 
+14
Prof. Midnight
Gauge
Dark Guardian
herointraining
JohnDoe
Hazmat
Psyphon
Polarman
Flora V. Arbor
Urban Avenger
Bridges
Justice258
Superhero
Equal
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Equal

Equal

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Anybody have experience with wing chun? Like what body types it works for, how much training does it take to make the short punches effective, practical stuff.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I took Jeet Kune Do privately which is just a off shoot of Wing Chun I think. I liked it way better that boxing style arts because I'm a bigger guy & you stay in the center & lead with your strong arm & jam with your foot. worked well for me but that's about all I know about it.
Back to top Go down
Justice258

Justice258

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Everybody wing Chun tonite
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Me and White Baron have started meeting up with a local group. Apparently it takes years to develop the muscle memory required to do it well, but it was designed by a woman so I'm assuming that anyone can do it.

It's very different from anything I've ever done, so I can see why it would take such a long time to get good at it.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Jeet kun do? That's more of a philosphy than a martial art. It was the predacessor (and I still say superior) to "MMA".

As for wing chun? I dunno anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Bridges, I'm going to take that "woman" comment as a compliment
and yah,
Wing Chun is a "soft" style

...less punching, more avoiding

It doesn't take very long to get muscle memory.
Six weeks of daily repetition will lay in what you need
and then repeat the practice every other day or so.

Dogman, short punches ALWAYS work if you are in range.
If you are not, run
and one punch is rarely, if ever enough
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 am

Somehow I get the feeling youre not talking about the friday evening chineese buffet at the Navigator Inn I love you
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Well I guess this is as good a place as any to put my first post. I know it's an slightly older thread but it's something I know a bit about. Wing chun is a martial arts style that was actually built for the female body. It focuses around conservation of motion, linear movement, and speed rather than strength to generate power. It's a very efficient martial art and only takes a few months or maybe a year to get the basics down ... but to be combat effective I'd recommend at least 3-4 years of training. All Chinese soft style martial arts, especially the arts that rely on internal principals, have a tendency to be real easy to pick up the basics, but take much longer than their Korean/Japanese/American hard style counterparts to become combat functional in. Wing chun is a highly effective martial art, but I wouldn't recommend using it as a primary combat style unless you have and are willing to continue an extensive and long term training regime. It's more of a "long term relationship" type of martial art. If you take it out for a spin on the first date you're liable to get yourself, or someone else hurt.

Just as a side note: lots of punching in wing chun. LOTS and LOTS of punching. Wing chun is the style that originated the "chain punch" (high speed, low impact successive punches) that is so common in other martial arts. Wing chun has a principal concept of continuously attacking. As a matter of fact in the earliest documents of the style they don't even have a equivilent technique for taking a step back to distance yourself from your opponent. Every single movement in the style moves INTO the attacker.

Last edited by Psyphon on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Welcome Psyphon.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 pm

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 pm

I'd like to learn wing chun. It was one of the core styles bruce lee integrated into his jeet kun do style. I may have mentioned it before. I'm too lazy to look back.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 pm

It was actually Bruce Lee's original style of martial art. He was taught by master Ip Man. they actually have a movie named "Ip Man" where his teacher is played by Donnie Yen. He uses wing chun, and Only wing chun throughout the coarse of the movie so if you'd like to see what it really looks like I'd recommend checking the movie out.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 pm

I will look into that film. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Donnie Yen is a fucking badass, for the record.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 am

One more reference of wing chun can be found in Jet Li's movie "The One" the bad Jet Li using the linear style is actually primarily using wing chun, while the good Jet Li using the circular style is primarily using a style called bagua zhang (also used by Ang in the cartoon version of the "Avatar").
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 am

You guys have anything on ninjutsu? Seems like a highly efficient martial art aimed at lethality and evasiveness. Does anyone here practice ninjutsu?
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 am

This is a wing chun thread, but I'll talk about ninjitsu with you in the other martial arts thread you're posting in if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:35 am

i am practicing Wing Chun, its really good! if you can, try to practice the Leung Ting branch of Wing Chun!
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 am

Nay!

Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:05 pm

herointraining wrote:
i am practicing Wing Chun, its really good! if you can, try to practice the Leung Ting branch of Wing Chun!
Found it useful for violence or useful for training? It's the real violent experience of the style that's intresting, not how well it "works" when punching in the air, doing katas, sparring and breaking objects.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:30 pm

no no, it works for real experiences, we have trained on circumstances like i have my enemy trying to make a headlock or trying to hug me from the side to rob me, even with our eyes closed. Their philosophy is to never defend, but attack faster than the enemy and better. Their basic 4 laws are:

1: if the path is clear, go (attack xD)
2: if the path is not clear, stick to your opponent
3: if the opponent is stronger, you give up (doesnt mean to surrender XD, if i go with my muscular strength against someone stronger, i will lose, i will use the strength of my articulations and use the centerline of my body to deliver powerful hits)
4: if the opponent retreats, follow and KO him/her xD
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Hmmm....
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:52 pm

I can't agree with the last part, at least not in all scenarios. First, if there are victims, their needs must come first. You can't chase a guy down while his victim is bleeding in the street and call that heroic. Also, if you were busy tussling with a criminal, he may not have had time to draw a weapon. Chasing after him if he runs could inspire him to pull one if he feels you will catch him. It could also be bad news if he pulled a weapon while among a crowd of people. It's all circumstantial, so assess the situation before chasing anyone. Better to just get a good description and report to police.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:55 pm

That's not real experience. You need to do real sparring have someone really trying to hit you/ hurt you.

I'm a little annoyed with wing chun because a lot of chunners go omg this is too deadly, we are so superior, we have the best punches, I'm a master, my master ..., my lineage etc.

The type of martial art that is best is one that takes the best from different styles and combines them making a well rounded art.

A lot of wing chun does not work. I would be happy to prove it if a local chunner wanted to spar and actually test their skills.

Martial arts needs to be focused on reality, practicality, and evolution.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Well, i ve already practiced muay thai and some judo, i try to get the best of every martial art, and in every wing chun class i get to train with guys that doubles me in height or weight. Anyway, the lineage drama just slips for me, wing tsun, wing chun, wing chung, its almost the same, it is only a copyright issue and a fight to see who can lick Yip Man memory's butt harder. What you have to care about are the phonies that claimed to be masters and only did 6 months of training. We had a couple of those here in Argentina and were caught in action and expelled from the organization (and im pretty sure someone kicked their butts too), but i think that happens with every martial art. Do you know about the Yellow Bamboo guys?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wing Chun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wing Chun
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Self Defense & Martial Arts-
Jump to: