Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE

Go down 
+9
Bridges
Equal
Jack Shadow
Crossfire the Crusader
E0N (Inactive)
Artisteroi
Statesman
Gauge
Rogue
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Empty
PostSubject: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Heroes,

I have been asked (or goaded, semantics really) to make posts on criminology to highlight how such things can impact our activities. I'm going to do a little more than that, because to be honest, if I drone on and on, this isn't likely to get much readership lost in a sea of topics. Also, I'm hardly an adequate professor. My hope is through this summer challenge, the need for education in criminology as a basic foundation for crime fighters will become apparent, and individuals will pursue education in the field with the fervor they attribute to other related disciplines, such as the martial arts or medical training. This knowledge, as with most fields, is best learned under the tutelage of a great instructor, with access both to traditional education resources, as well as hands on experience. However, I realize that getting a degree (or an advanced degree) is not an option, and perhaps even classes at an online or community institution cannot be handled, yet there are still great resources out there if one has the self discipline.

DISCLAIMER: This thread, and other threads related to it will contain information that will relate to crime, criminal justice, law, and potentially dangerous behavior. Laws vary from state to state and nation to nation. Some ideas may be discussed that are not legal in all jurisdictions. None should be taken as advice to commit crimes. All information in the summer challenge is purely for education purposes. Nothing in this thread constitutes legal advice, nor should be taken as such.

WHAT THIS ISN'T: Not interested in this thread turning into who are you to tell us we don't know everything, or who are you, or why don't you post pictures of friend me on facebook (the internet version of proof). If you want to challenge ideas in this topic, do so with peer reviewed theory and scientific study, or go rant somewhere else. I'd like to ask for moderator support in this, since many of them requested this thread. This isn't the lounge, this is training discussion.

WHY: The intention for all participants is this door to be opened for them to pursue, and for them to go on to get education necessary to have a firm grip on the basic concepts of criminology, and the ability to pursue more specific subjects within the field, and keep up to date with recent advances/findings in the field. The ultimate goal for this knowledge is to be able to utilize it to direct our strategies, and measure success thereof. This will require not only understanding of the subject, but an ability to translate this understanding into practical policy.

WHAT: Ok, so the actual challenge is as follows. Each participant will select a theory, or group of theories, from criminology or related social science. I will post examples below, which may be taken (just post to claim them so we don't have doubles) or you can select a theory you find with your own research, from a criminology journal or other peer reviewed source. IF YOU SELECT A THEORY/GROUP YOU FIND ON YOUR OWN, IT MUST BE PEER REVIEWED and preferably have a scientific study or some other way of quantifying it's usefulness. DO NOT rely on google searches/wikipedia. Often these contain incorrect information on crim theory, personal experience, trust me. Not just hating on wiki. If you are having trouble locating sources, I am here to help! Once you select a theory, you will read the theory itself, as well as any related material, and any information related to studies based on or implementation into law enforcement policy. Then you will write, in essay format, an overview of the theory and its implications, to be posted here on the Training board for discussion.

THEORY GROUPS/THEORIES (not comprehensive):

1) Classical Theories - based on the idea that people will pursue self-interest, and engage in crime when able and in the absence of deterring punishment, free willed choice. Useful Policy implications in these.
a) Deterrence Theory
b) Rational Choice Theory
c) Routine Activity Theory
d) Situational Crime Prevention
e) Broken Windows - not sure if this is technically classical, but is in the same vein
2) Positivist Theories - Theories that take a predestined view on criminal activity, based on biological or other factors. NOT recommended. Interesting in terms of historical criminology/how far we've come. Also, these were the foundation towards developing theories of crime. That said, these are very poor, outdated theories, that really have no policy implication, so I don't recommend unless you find yourself incredibly intrigued.
a) Lombroso's Theory of Atavism
b) Body Type Theory
3) Modern Biological Theories - Separate from Positivist Theories as they view biological factors as just that, factors, that influence but don't predetermine. All that nature/nurture goodness!
a) Evolutionary Theory
4) Social Disorganization Theories - Relate to communities, and how their disorganization and lack of collective efficacy can lead to increases in crime. Great policy implications here.
a) Akers & Sellers
b) Cullen & Agnew
c) Shaw & McKay

5) Social Learning Theories - Crime as a learned behavior. They learn rationalizations for criminal behavior, or outright approving of crime, as well as learning methodology for committing such acts. Interaction is key here.
a) Akers
6) Strain Theories - When individuals cannot achieve stress through traditional/legal means, they are put under strain, and will innovate with criminal activity.
b) Anomie Theory - Merton

7) Feminist Theories - Based on feminine point of view or focusing on feminine offenders, these theories are quite varied, but fill gaps left by centuries of studying/accounting for men almost exclusively.
8 ) Labelling Theory - Studies the effect that labels have on people in a way that influences criminal behavior. On the most basic level, sort of the idea where if you keep calling a kid a bad kid, they see themselves as a bad kid, and act in relation to that understanding.
9) Control Theory - Sees most important factor the self-control of offender, based on a multitude of influencing factors.
a) Hirschi
10) Life Course Theories - Focus of aging/development. Age and crime is one of the most well established trends in crime.
11) Integrated Theory - Attempts to combine theories of various types to paint a larger picture that is a more accurate portrayal of the causal factors of crime. Difficult to attempt without understanding the other theories to be integrated, so I don't strongly recommend.

Alright, that's a very basic list drummed up from memory. There are more groupings, and many, many more individual theories, but this should guve you a starting point. Again, if you'd like any help picking out a theory/theories, just post or PM me, and I'll help you out.

HOW: Ok, so how is this going to be presented?

1) Each of you will write up, in essay format, a presentation to the rest of the forum, to share what you have learned and increase our overall knowledge. Not going to set a required length, but essays should be comprehensive. Sections are as follows:
a) Overview - Introduction of the theory and basic information of sociologist/criminologist behind it. Background/historical info, etc.
b) Theory - Discusses in depth the theory, individual parts, etc. This will vary in complexity depending on theory. If selecting a group, section for each theory
c) Data/Study/Use - Documents any data, scientific study, or utilization in law enforcement or related field.
d) Criticism (optional) - Use this to highlight criticisms of theory where applicable. NOTE: Criticize with data and conflicting peer reviewed theory...NOT personal opinion or anecdotes
e) implications: Most important part! How can this theory be used to design a strategy/policy a crimefighting rlsh could use? If you can't answer this, you need to dig deeper/find another theory.
f) citations: You don't need a specific citation method (MLA/Chicago/etc.) but please post the title, author, edition or publication date, along with any specific pages you might have used, so we can read what you read when developing your essay, for further information if desired
2) Post your essay, and any related pictures/graphs/articles to it's own new post titled "Summer Challenge: (Theory/Group)"
3) Read and discuss in the other theory groups, using your newfound knowledge to drive conversation, challenge each other

WHEN: Essays are due to be posted by AUGUST 15, 2011, which should give everyone plenty of time! In July, I will select a theory that has not been selected yet, and do an example, and will probably do another for the 15th of Aug. as well.

Please post which theory(ies) you would like to cover!

Last edited by Nemesis on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:51 pm

This is a great idea Nemesis. Life is a little crazy atm, but I might pick a topic up next month if I can. Do you have any suggestions for general criminology books or authors? I'd like to get an overview of things first to give me an idea of which topic I'd like. Also, what do you think of the option of a (thorough, in depth) powerpoint instead of an essay? This challenge reminds me of a theory class I took in college and we all had to present our topic with a very complete powerpoint.

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Personally, I liked "Inside the Criminal Mind" by Stanton Samenow. (hope I got the title right). Read it long ago, and the update. Well written for laic readers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:34 pm

An excellent compilation of the more important criminology theories is Criminological Theory: Past to Present by Cullen and Agnew. It's a bit pricy, but can be bought used for very cheap, and there are older editions that still probably have the main ones.

Also, quick google search found a study guide for another of Agnew's book, could be a good intro to the overall info

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Powerpoints are fine, hell do a video presentation if you'd like. As long as you hit those points.
Back to top Go down
Statesman

Statesman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm game. I'll take Lombroso's Theory of Atavism.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Appreciated, Atavism is off the table.
Back to top Go down
Rogue

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Heck, I'll just go on and take one. It's just too interesting not to. Social disorganization theories for me please.

~Rogue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Alright, Rogue has Social disorganization (that's a good one for us, I think, even outreach types could potentially have a more direct impact on crime!)
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:54 pm

You say it's not an assignment then that is all I need.

Carry on.

Last edited by Artisteroi on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 pm

It can't be for an assignment, not only have I graduated, it's mid-june. Know of too many spring semesters still going? Let alone assigning papers.

I am trying to get people to have to actively learn.

Now, back to the actual topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Gone ahead and put a strike through on the topics taken, will continue to do so.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:23 pm

What about Abolitionist theories? Might be nice to see a few pages on that, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

If it has scientific study/data to support it, and has implications for what WE do, I welcome ANY theory of crime. I just gave a few examples.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 am

Let's try to have all the participants chose a topic by July 1, and Then I'll post an example mid to late July. Then Aug 15, we'll hopefully have enough to really get even non-participants pay attention.

If all goes well, I have a phase 2 planned. More info when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

I'll lurk and see what ends up left over toward the end, personally, then write something up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm not going to stop posting good information, that my critics would rather blast, than bother to verify, which they could easily do if they had any actual desire to, being that they have the internet at their disposal.

Please just remember the rules, and make it clear which you'll be taking in my absense, as I may not be able to cross them off as I have so far.

I have a couple of exciting topics to share myself, of course with citations so you can read the bigger works, and be damn sure the information is legit.

Happy hunting to everyone, I think you'll all learn a lot, and then help the community at large!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:49 pm

The proposal here is that we post some info about criminology theories. I think I can manage a handful of paragraphs on at least one of them by August.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm saying you aren't equipped to reasonably affect crime, AT ALL, local or otherwise, without having knowledge about crime. That's what I'm saying. And as I said to Eon in the post you are grossly misrepresented...my local, plus your local, plus thousands of other locals, = not so local anymore.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:18 pm

As a start I'll take Strain Theory and Anomie since they seem to overlap a bit with my personal theories about people and why they do things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Great choices, I agree based on things you've talked about, I think you'll like those.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Crossfire, we're back on topic, please pick a topic or move on.

There are plenty of counter-arguments to my way of thinking with these theories, and the many more that exist. I welcome your well informed reply based on peer reviewed theory. I am confident you could do an excellent job, and if you'd like to do a correctional based theory and add a section that includes your experiences, I'm sure the community would appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Very well...I will assume then that you are going to continue against the Admins decision...I'll step back and watch quietly.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Drama aside, I'm looking forward to reading up on criminology fomr people who have real world experience. My background is in detention and corrections so I'm at the other end of the field from enforcement.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm actually not sure if anyone who's commented on this thread has a background in enforcement. I've worked with cops a pretty good number of times (military-wise), but not specifically with law enforcement objectives.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:44 pm

I was in the Sudent Troopers when I was a kid. That's about as close as I got.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE   Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Nemesis' SUMMER CHALLENGE
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next