Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Oracle Project

Go down 
+34
The Archer
Shade
Arpenteur
herointraining
Stephen Hannaway
the crimson fist
Superman
C
Vulpo
Nite Watch
DarkShadow
Hazmat
Ohm
Gauge
Urban Avenger
Boundless
Midnite Detective
Kaiju
Leviathan
Bridges
Cognito
Batguy
Ako
Equal
Jack Shadow
The Reverend
Polarman
Artisteroi
Krystalline
thanatos
Paladin
E0N (Inactive)
Gadgetastic!
Zimmer
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

The Oracle Project - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 am

I'm also getting perturbed with how disjointed the wiki has become. Lots of raw links, disorganization. And a lot of stuff that may be getting off topic from what I envisioned, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 am

Zimmer wrote:
I'm also getting perturbed with how disjointed the wiki has become. Lots of raw links, disorganization. And a lot of stuff that may be getting off topic from what I envisioned, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Thoughts?

Sub-sections and link descriptions? It seems like the simplest answer.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

What do you see as the best organized section? I'd say Engineering and Criminal Investigation look the most "complete" so far.

Also, I like the totally different structure Eon has put into place with his sections, with actual content instead of links to content. Hopefully over time we will develop a happy medium, but all his stuff looks great.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:11 pm

It's hard for me to say, personally... I think what hasn't quite happened yet is that the wiki starts referencing itself and turning into a place where you go to the main page, type in something like "bodyguard" or "protective services," do a search, and start reading because you're trying to figure out how to do that particular thing.

(Also where you're reading that and something about "come-alongs" comes up and you have the option to divert to an article about that to figure those out, then go back to the original article... etc etc)

It will, though. It takes time. There's a lot of great information there, but it's still at the "look at the list of topics and start reading" stage.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Another idea, which might take even more time, would be to find/organize the most critical info, and create a "Must see" list of links and material for specific topics. I.E. if you're doing homeless outreach, you should look at pages A and B and C, but if you're interested in DVSA, you should look into pages A, C, and F. Essentially, it would be a lesson plan.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 am

Zimmer wrote:
What do you see as the best organized section? I'd say Engineering and Criminal Investigation look the most "complete" so far.

Also, I like the totally different structure Eon has put into place with his sections, with actual content instead of links to content. Hopefully over time we will develop a happy medium, but all his stuff looks great.

Okay, get ready cause I've just ripped the wiki apart and examined it all. What we've got is a good start but from here on is where we make it pretty, highly functional, and easy to use. This is where some of the nit-picky detail work comes into play, and it will probably get annoying fixing it up, I understand that, but it needs some detail work to make it a really good resource.

Overall the people with the best pages are Deadend and Eon, their essay pages help a lot, and some of the pages need to be changed from a link list to follow their examples.

So here we go, this is what I think of the Oracle Project and what needs fixing the most:

Going down the list from home down the pages I like the best so far are:

Digital Libraries - the top section looks good but could be cleaned up a little, just by making some of the descriptions either smaller or taking out the italics from some of the descriptions, although I am guessing that some of them are quotes from the site itself and could get a little iffy if we did change it around a little

Elicitation (Social Engineering)

Emergency Contact

Explosives Recognition - I love that there are pictures that you can reference so that everyone can recognize these incendiaries, and it gives me an idea of how to clean up the Drugs section

Interviewing - this is a very well done page, and should be looked at as a basis for any of the pages that resemble a Q&A section or a lecture section because it is easy to spot the differences between each topic, making it easy to quickly find where you need to be looking for the information you want

Liaison - just as good as the interviewing page

New York Initiative - VERY good, it will help with people trying to figure out who you are, and we should get a page like this for all of the major teams out there

Tactics - this is exactly what the Planning page should become

Pages that I think are okay, if a little bare:

First Aid - everything is straight forward and doesn't really need any explanation for more than what is given, maybe there should be a section on recognizing things such as bruise patterns in abuse victims, snake bites, or signs that a person had been on drugs - just an idea of where to take that page

Gear and Gadgets - The links need descriptions just like the Engineering section, and I need to go back through and make tables for all of the weapon laws to clean up the section and make it easier to understand

Government Resources: Most of the links are self-descriptive because of their names, but it would help if we had descriptions for each of the links

Illumination - the only reason this one isn't in the best section is because the numbered lines should be a little bolder or larger than the body paragraphs to seperate them from the main body text, I say this simply because it resembles a Q&A section, and those are formated so you can quickly find your question and then see the answer, because the question lines are easiliy spotted amongst the body text

New York City - it's a good start, but it needs link descriptions, and could do with some more information, although I'm sure that Zimmer is just wading through all of the stuff he has and debating on what should go on there

Non-Lethal Weapons - I really do like this page, but I think some more could be added to it in regards to martial arts non-lethal weapons such as bo staffs and the like

People Searches - I'm not sure that there's much else we could do for this page other than maybe give little reviews beneath all of the links

Planning - I think the page is set up well, but I think the question needs to be asked, planning for what? If we could take this into sections to show how this information could be used in different strategies I think it would make this page the MOST useful one out of the entire wiki.

Seattle - a good start, but I think the page needs a little more organization and some more information, more sections on each topic, as well as fixing the text describing the first link

Surveillance and Surveillance Detection Resources - not bad, but I think as more people add to it it will become a fantastic page

Messiest sections from the top of the list down:

Animals - it needs link descriptions

Business Resources - this needs to turn into an essay page

Computer Science - link descriptions, and possibly into an essay page

Criminal Investigation - if Thanatos or any of our super-sleuths could go through and turn this into an essay page that would be FANTASTIC

Engineering - there's no descriptions as to what the pages lead to, and it's not easy to guess what each site is really good with because the names are non-specific

Last resort - People on this forum would understand why this section is entitled last resort, but for someone just coming to the page from an outside source this page title would be confusing as to the contents of the page, it could be changed to something along the lines of "When Diplomacy Fails" or something that makes a bit more sense to an outside viewer

Military - there's no real structure to how the links were clumped together and they need descriptions so that someone entirely unfamiliar with the subject will know why they would even need to bother looking at them

Missing Persons - the way that the agencies are grouped makes the page too long and needs to be put into a table to make things easier to find

Non-Profit - I need to make this page into a text as well as Q&A page to identify what a NPO is and the like, as well as add descriptions to the links and set them in categories as to what type of service they focus on

Organized Crime - this one could also do with being turned into a text-based page rather than a list of links

Research Tools - this needs to be set up like the Digital Libraries page, it would help out a lot

Sex Crimes - it's just a big page of links, it needs descriptions and to be turned into a lecture page so people can get a step-by-step on how to deal with the crimes listed on the page

Shelters - yeah... I just need to fix this page, it's a hot damn mess

Urban Survival - big page of links, needs descriptions as well as organization

Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Yeah, TOP started as a link farm, mostly just me getting my links all in one place. I know my way around it, but I need to add reviews/descriptions of links so that it's easier to navigate and not a big Easter egg hunt through teh Internetz.

Digital Libraries-this was copy and pasted from several large link farms, it needs to be gone through one by one, get some links taken out, get the format coherent, etc.

Explosives Recognition-rocks my socks off. Couldn't ask for better, and I agree, Drugs should have pictures like this page.

New York Initiative-this is the activity portfolio we give to interviewers so they have an idea of what we do. It probably needs to be updated but it's a good snap shot of NYI activity.

First Aid-Maybe this needs to be reorganized with links to emergency information, short essays and resources for how to get training in real life.

Gear and Gadgets-Mostly this has online stores of where I have gotten great gear, and links to item descriptions as well. I would love for this to maybe be organized better, and of course, have other people's favorites added to it. Adding some short essays on what's needed and why would be excellent.

Government Resources-I'm thinking of merging this and "Business Resources" into "Research Tools".

New York City-This is currently more for my reference to navigate NYPD's resources without having to go through their menus. It could use some work if it's going to be anything beyond that.

People Searches-GREAT resources here, if I do say so myself, but I do need to add reviews/descriptions so it's easy to use for someone that isn't me.

Animals-This page is deep into activism/charity territory, and that's no what I'm going for with TOP. I think it needs to stay but maybe streamlined.

Computer Science-Great resources, I need to add reviews/descriptions of links.

Criminal Investigation-All of these are tools I use almost daily for NYI research. I need to add reviews/descriptions.

Engineering-This one is my baby, again, I need to add more than just links, but the links are fantastic.

Last resort-This page I have no idea what's going on. "The Art of War" has zero information on self-defense. Strategy and Self-Defense need to be 2 different pages and this page probably needs to go, but I would like to keep the links.

Military-I would love to work with Eon and get this efficiently organized.

Non-Profit and Non-Profits probably need to be merged.

Organized Crime-Lots of essays on history and recent events. Organized to some degree but perhaps short essays would add clarity and ease of use.

Research Tools-Probably getting to be a little too robust, needs to maybe be split into more than one page or add short essays for clarity. I need to add reviews/descriptions of links.

Urban Survival-This has morphed into covering a very wide range of topics, may need to be split into multiple pages and have short essays.

Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 pm

I'll try to go back through and clean up some of my pages before school starts - no promises since Orientation is this weekend and I get to herd the freshmen around and get attacked as the "Zombie Queen" for questions about Humans vs Zombies. Oh dear lord I'm going to be busy, especially since they've "temporarily" put me in a freshman dorm.

Actually... I'm seeing a good opportunity to hide in my room and fix this rather than get dragged all over the place, or have my door knocked on every five seconds, by freshmen who want to ask me questions.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: The Best of The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've created a new page that contains the best of the best resources for certain sections of TOP. This is not to disparage our other links and pages and Eon's original content, but these are the ones that stand out. Let me know what you guys think, what you'd like to see different, what your favorite sections, information and links are. Below is the text without the links.

Computer Science

Wikiversity: Introduction to Computer Science
Free online course broadly covering basic computer science, certified as complete and up to date by the Wikiversity community.

Wikiversity: Introduction to Programming
Full course on programming, certified complete by the Wikiversity community.

List of Google Products

Criminal Investigation

Spot Crime
The best and most up-to-date crime mapping program online.

City-Data
This site provides exhaustively in depth information on any US city.

Google Earth "Placemarks and Tours" Tutorial
Create a patrol route or a map of crime scenes with geotagging software in Google Earth.

New Yorker Article on Bounty Hunters
Excellent in-depth look at US bounty hunting law and practices.

Drugs

Erowid Drug Guide
An exhaustive guide to street and pharmacological drugs.

Engineering

Khan Academy
This site has videos for thousands of math how-tos for every level of experience.

Makezine Blog
Tons of useful step-by-step how-to projects anyone can accomplish.

Hacking the X-Box
Reverse engineering primer using the X-Box hardware platform for examples. The book is fantastic as well.

Sparkfun Electronics
Fantastic source for electronic components such as capacitors and resistors.

Adafruit Industries
Fantastic source for larger components such as batteries and circuit boards.

United Nuclear Scientific Supplies
Great source for chemicals.

Genetic Science Learning Center
Learn genetics from beginning to advanced from the University of Utah for free.

The Rhizome Collective
Must read guide for sustainable urban architecture.

Gear and Gadgets

ThinkGeek
Great source for electronic gadgets.

LA Police Gear
Great source for pouches, tools, armor and more.

Military

Military Manual Library
MASSIVE library of US military texts from all 4 branches. Literally hundreds of texts on virtually any military topic.

Historical Military Text Library
Texts from hundreds of years of military history over multiple campaigns and cultures.

Organized Crime

CIA.gov-Heroin Movement Worldwide

CIA.gov-Center for the Study of Intelligence-International Trafficking in Women to the United States Report

FBI-Italian Organized Crime History

FBI-Asian Criminal Enterprises

FBI-Balkan Criminal Enterprises

FBI-Eurasian Criminal Enterprises

GangsOrUs
How To Identify Street Gangs, Prison Gangs and Gang Members

National Gang Center News Report
Blog of gang-related news that is updated regularly

The (Ex) Biggest Heroin Dealer in the World Interview

Southern Poverty Law Intelligence Files
Excellent database of hate groups active in America.

Research Tools

Spokeo People Search
Free and paid service to find people by name, address or phone number. Free is good, paid is inexpensive.

Those Dark Hiding Places: The Invisible Web Revealed
By Robert J Lackie, Associate Professor-Librarian at Rider University

Citizendium
Expert-approved version of Wikipedia

When Wikipedia Won't Cut It
25 online sources for reliable and researched facts from CollegeDegree.com

How To Track Every Tweet

8 Tips for Better Web Searches

Librarian Bruce Rosenstein on Specialized Searches

How To Get a Copy of Your FBI File

NewsMap
World News at a Glance

LexisNexis Content and Information Analytics

Rise Up.Net Mailing Lists
Hundreds of activists use these mailing lists to communicate and plan.

StumbleUpon

Urban Survival

Urban Exploration, Infiltration and Stealth
Excellent guide to mastering the urban environment.

Crack Any Combination Lock

How to Vanish in the US Without a Trace

Six Steps for Learning Difficult Subjects Quickly

Boost Your IQ With Simple Behavior Modifications

Luck is an Easily Learnable Skill

Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare Manual Archive

EFF's Tips For Talking to Police

Seed Bombing
Back to top Go down
Ohm

Ohm

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you kindly
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Great stuff this.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Excellent work Zimmer.

DarkShadow out
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 pm

It's all stuff that was already there, but maybe it's easier to access now that all my favorites are on one page. Special apologies to Eon and Krystalline because they've made some great pages that just can't be shrunk down to a handful of links.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am

Zimmer wrote:
It's all stuff that was already there, but maybe it's easier to access now that all my favorites are on one page. Special apologies to Eon and Krystalline because they've made some great pages that just can't be shrunk down to a handful of links.

I think it's a good edition, sort of a quick-use guide for the wiki. I'm in the middle of moving in and school stuff so I haven't gotten to work on the wiki, but I'll try to go back in and clean up some of my pages when I can.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:36 am

That's a useful addition. Some of the value of the stuff you put up in the beginning starts to go away as it gets harder to find it.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah, it's not steamlined or user friendly by any means, but you guys have made great strides towards that. I hope the Best of page helps.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 pm

I've been devoting a lot of time to other projects, one of which is my super-secret project that you'll all see in the next 45-60 days. However, I also want to spruce up The Oracle Project some, as there hasn't been much new information added to it in the last 30 days.

Any suggestions on information you'd like to see that isn't there or could be better organized, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Nite Watch

Nite Watch

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Very useful....Thanks Zimmer, well done.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:36 am

Thank you, Nite Watch.

I'll be adding more to TOP and eventually doing a page by page, link by link overhaul to get everything squared away.

However, I'm behind on my own info gathering and classes and way overdue to write up a big research report for a friend. So it might be awhile.

The good news is that any of you can join TOP and make edits you want to see all by yourself, no permission required.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 pm

I should be doing CERT in February -- I can add whatever they teach that seems relevant.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Same here.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

February? Razz
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Yeah. All the cool kids are doing it.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Added an Oakland page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I added some hacking tools to the Computer Scuence page, and a few guides, as well as a new crime map and a crime mapping tool to the Criminal Investigations page.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Oracle Project   The Oracle Project - Page 6 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Oracle Project
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next