Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Homeless Outreach Question

Go down 
+3
Paladin
Krystalline
Versus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Versus

Versus

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Homeless Outreach Question Empty
PostSubject: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Here in Gainesville, FL there are numerous obstacles with feeding the homeless. The city placed a limit on the local homeless shelter of only 120 people fed a day at their center, the foodbank is also limited when handing food out in the park, but I feel my biggest problem is that the city has done it's part over the past few years of pushing the homeless out of certain areas. The result of this has caused what are known as "bum alleys" around here, where dozens of homeless all gather on a one single-block street and camp in the gutter. I feel this is a problem for me because I have limited funds at the moment and I want to help these people, but how do you say "Sorry, all out" when there isn't any more food to hand out? I know it's as easy as just saying it, but I can't bring myself to tell hungry people that they missed out on getting food.

It breaks my heart to see people suffering and I hate the feeling of knowing I'm not doing enough. Does anyone have suggestions on this issue..?
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Are there any community gardens in the area? I've known them to be a big help in some places. Normally they only help families struggling to provide fresh produce because of limited income, but they can also provide fresh produce to local food banks.
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:16 pm

There are businesses that must throw out their old food while it's still edible. Especially places that offer or advertise "fresh daily" kinds of foods. Talk to local bakeries and restaurants, etc., about getting their stuff at the end of the day, and that can help you bulk up your contributions at no expense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 pm

you have to find all the best deals.Symbiote and myself have become experts at this.bottled water is good but find the cheap kind like at k-mart , 3 dollars a case. day old bakery loaves of bread , deal of the day luncheon meet and cheese, economy mustard bottle,cheapo sandwich bags,cookie packets at the dollar tree you get six idividual wraps for a dollar .a hundred people can be fed for 50 to 60 bucks.when a few people chip in on this it's not too bad.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Ive talked to the stores and resurants but they are not allowed to feed anybody the stuff they have to throw out however one lady at a convienience store sneaks food out to feed the ravens
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Go the food not bombs website . Good info there for getting plenty of good food
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:40 pm

I want to speek to Versus original question.

Do you ever have enough supplies for the homeless you encounter when you go out with the intent on doing homeless outreach? No, ofcourse not. You will always run out of supplies... it happens. Good, I got the demoralization out of the way.

Now for the bright silver lining. As long as you get out there in your community to help those in need you will be better for it. Its not about solving the problem of homelessness, we cant do that as individuals... it aint gonna happen, this issue is one of society.

As long as you go out thee and keep a person alive for one more day with the supplies you hand out thats what its all about. Is it about tomorrow? No, Its about keeping the person alive for just that one day. Whether you have enough supplies for on or one hundred. You're doing the good work. Keep going, the fight is never ending.

Skyman Salutes!
Back to top Go down
RazorHawk

RazorHawk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, what Sky said. I think that hit every nail right on the head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 am

theres nothing i can do when it's all gone but normally that don't happen to me.thats why i share the tips to avoid that problem.
Back to top Go down
RazorHawk

RazorHawk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:01 pm

We have less of a street population of homeless here than they do in San Diego, so we often have leftovers.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm

There seem to be plenty of places here for the homeless to eat . I find it hard to pass out 10 sandwitches but I collected clothing for a month and filled my bike trailer . Everything went in 10 min . Figure out what the need is in your area and do what you can . Ask friends and family for clothes they don't wear anymore , you will be suprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homeless Outreach Question   Homeless Outreach Question Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Homeless Outreach Question
Page 1 of 1