Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan

Go down 
+12
Midnite Detective
Zimmer
Flora V. Arbor
Jack Shadow
Leviathan
Equal
Ohm
Max
Krystalline
Urban Avenger
Gauge
E0N (Inactive)
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Empty
PostSubject: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:00 pm

So this is a plan I came up with considering a couple of things...

- that I've been kinda remiss in handling the "Mach 0" part of the EON suit project.
- that I want to have a well developed plan in place for initial physical training of people.
- that I'm finally going to talk at that tech conference that keeps getting postponed (in December now) and I want to be trained up to look good at it and stuff.
- contrary to my intention to quit smoking, I've actually been smoking a lot more lately... Sad
- etc

So submitted for your heckling is a 13 week workout plan that incorporates everything I could think of to "jumpstart" a person into shape. If you go through it faithfully you'll end up in better shape than the average cop or soldier by the end of it.

I realize it risks injury a bit more than most workout plans. There's really no way to take shortcuts without doing that. So anyway, ask your doctor, yadda yadda.

I'm starting it August 15th. My background is that I exercise regularly, but I've gotten kind of undisciplined about it lately and not really all that goal-oriented. If you've never exercised at all you probably would benefit from jogging 20 minutes and doing some (20 or so?) pushups/sit-ups every other day for a few weeks or a month (ish). It's not an exact science.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing this and/or could provide feedback, that'd be cool. If you know any fitness shortcuts I haven't included here, about how to best include stuff like creatine supplements... or whatever, I'm all ears.

Here's the plan, which I wrote out kinda presuming the future existence of a team:

Team Physical Training
Initial training for each member is a set 13 week program described below.

Lifestyle
For 13 weeks, don’t smoke or drink alcohol. Eat six times a day including a variety of foods, but with an especially protein heavy diet. Drink sufficient water to maintain clear urine. Don’t go overboard, but don’t restrict salt intake because you’ll need it. Take nutritional supplements in moderation – Peracitam, Sun Chlorella, Omega-3, DHA, multi-vitamins including ACE, etc.

Stuff you need
Gym or set of weights (optimally), track (optimally), hilly terrain or stairs, a watch, running shoes, exercise clothes, sandy terrain (beach) is best for plyometric exercises, and a punching bag. If you don’t have access to a real punching bag, one can be improvised by rolling a carpet remnant around sandbags and securing it with duct tape. If you’re really destitute, just strike at the air, although this increases your risk of injury.

Exercise
Stretch for 5-10 minutes before and after each workout daily. Include ballistic stretching (bouncing during stretches) to make faster gains in flexibility, but do so with caution not to hyperflex/hyperextend yourself.

Strength training is done on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays using weight training and bodyweight exercises (pushups, sit-ups, squats, etc) in super sets. Super sets are a training method in which you do two exercises consecutively with no rest in between. They have several advantages. They’re time-efficient. They boost production of lactic acid, which results in higher levels of Growth Hormone (GH) in the body, building muscle faster. And their greater intensity causes increased muscle fiber activation, which also helps to build muscle faster.

For each day first perform the listed number of repetitions as upper body exercises (weightlifting [bench-press, deadlifts, etc] pushup variations* [close-hand, wide-arm, Superman pushups, plyometric push-ups, etc], then do the listed number of repetitions of lower body exercise variations** (crunches, sit-ups, squats, exploding star jumps, etc). An almost infinite number of exercise variations can be found through simple internet searches.

In all cases if you reach muscle failure, rather than resting modify the exercise (i.e. go to your knees) and make a continuous effort until completion of the set number of repetitions.

M/W/F
Week 1 - 10 super sets of 6/6 (120 total)
Week 2 - 10 super sets of 7/7 (140 total)
Week 3 - 10 super sets of 8/8 (160 total)
Week 4 - 10 super sets of 9/9 (180 total)
Week 5 - 10 super sets of 10/10 (200 total)
Week 6 - 10 super sets of 11/11 (220 total)
Week 7 - 10 super sets of 12/12 (240 total)
Week 8 - 11 super sets of 12/12 (264 total)
Week 9 - 12 super sets of 12/12 (288 total)
Week 10 - 13 super sets of 12/12 (312 total)
Week 11 - 14 super sets of 12/12 (336 total)
Week 12 - 15 super sets of 12/12 (360 total)
Week 13 - 16 super sets of 12/12 (384 total)

On the same day as each strength training workout (attempt to) perform 10 pull-ups.

Running is done on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays to increase speed and cardio-respiratory endurance. On Tuesdays sprint for 40 seconds, then walk or slow jog for 20 seconds until the time is up; including bounding during sprints (jumping, exaggerated running). On Thursdays run continuously for the allotted time on a track (or other flat surface); practice a combat roll (Parkour roll) as you complete each lap (or “periodically” if not on a track); during the running part try to incorporate “gravity running,” which is leaning forward on the balls of your feet and letting gravity do some of the work – sort of like a constant controlled fall forward. The combat rolls should be done as a continuous motion – you keep running afterwards without hesitating. On Saturdays incorporate hills or stairs into your run (this results in faster improvement).

If you reach a level of fatigue that precludes doing the extra stuff (bounding, rolling, etc), at least continuously run (at any speed possible) for the allotted time.

Striking drills (punching, kicking, etc) are done after each run, preferably with a punching bag.

T/Th/Sat
Week 1 - 20 minutes, 4 two-minute striking drills
Week 2 - 20 minutes, 5 two-minute striking drills
Week 3 - No running, 6 two minute striking drills
Week 4 - 30 minutes, 4 three-minute striking drills
Week 5 - 30 minutes, 4 three-minute striking drills
Week 6 - 30 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 7 - 40 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 8 - 40 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 9 - 40 minutes, 6 three-minute striking drills
Week 10 - 50 minutes, 6 three-minute striking drills
Week 11 - 50 minutes, 6 four-minute striking drills
Week 12 - 60 minutes, 6 four-minute striking drills
Week 13 - 60 minutes, 6 five-minute striking drills

Upper Body Exercise Variations (pushup variations, mostly)
(Regular) Pushups
Close-hand pushups (Diamond pushups)
Cobras (body from the hips downward rests on the ground)
Dive-bombers (butt in the air, move under an imaginary bar on the way down and up)
Dove tail pushups (increase depth of pushup by 1/3, 2/3, then a full pushup; one time through is one repetition)
Elevated pushups (elevate your feet)
Fingertip pushups
Handstand pushups (Wall pushups)
Hindu pushups (butt in the air, move under an imaginary bar on the way down; push up normally)
Inchworms (begin in a modified pushup position with feet and hands positioned close together, walk forward on your hands to a normal pushup position, walk forward on your feet to complete the repetition)
Knuckle pushups
Maltese pushups (arms downward, hands approximately parallel to your waist)
Pike pushups (butt in the air; weight on shoulders)
Plyometric pushups (bounce up off the ground with each repetition)
Side-to-side pushups (lower only one side of the body with each rep)
Spiderman pushups (bring one leg in at your side, knee bent, as you go down – leg remains above the ground)
Staggered pushups (one hand is place upward [above your head] and the other downward [toward your waist]; alternate)
Superman pushups (arms over your head and extended as if you’re trying to fly)
Three-point pushups (lift one leg)
Tiger pushups (close hands, extremely wide leg stance, butt in the air)
Transition to three-point pushups (lift one leg as you perform each repetition)
T-stabilization pushups (as you come up continue the motion by rotating your body and raising one arm to form a sideways facing “T” shape; alternate sides)
Wide-arm pushups
Yoga pushups (butt in the air, sag in the middle, repeat [this is probably not real Yoga])
Pull-up variations – pull-ups/chin-ups, behind the neck, close-hand, mixed-grip (hands facing opposite ways); muscle-ups

Lower body exercise variations (mostly)
Crunches
Sit-ups
Squats
Back extensions (lie on your stomach; raise your upper and lower body simultaneously)
Crossover crunches (left leg over right knee, arms as if for sit-ups, perform a crunch, alternate sides)
Exploding star jumps
Fire hydrants (on your knees with hands on the ground raise one leg sideways with knee bent)
Flutter kicks (four-count, which basically means four flutter kicks equal one repetition)
Frog kicks (sit on the ground with your hands behind you, kick forward with both legs)
Hindu squats (stand on the toes and balls of your feet only)
Leg lifts (lie down, legs together, lift them in unison)
Leg spreaders (“Hello Dollies”)
Long arm crunches (crunches with your hands together and extended above your head)
One-leg squats (lift one leg up and extend it forward with each repetition)
Pelvic thrusts (“Bridging exercise”; lay on your back, lift your pelvis up off the ground)
Plyometric squats (Squat jumps)
Prisoner squats (position your hands behind your head)
Reverse crunches
Rocky sit-ups
Russian sit-ups (V-leg sit-ups)
Russian twists
Straight-leg sit-ups
Torso twists (AKA hip rolls)
Vertical leg crunches (reverse crunches with feet together and legs extended straight up into the air)
V-ups

A note about physical limitations
Exercises should be modified to accommodate individual physical limitations, such as a bad knee, rotator cuff injuries, etc. Seek the advice of a doctor/physical therapist before proceeding in this case.

Follow up
Real functional fitness takes about three years to solidify. After this beginning program continue to exercise observing the basic principles of exercise (Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type, Specificity, Overload, Adaptation, Progression, Reversibility, Variation).

Once all members have been through this basic 13 week program fitness becomes an individual responsibility with periodic group sessions to keep everybody honest. As new people are recruited administering the 13-week program is a chore divided among existing members.

In any case all members must do a minimum of 3 one-hour workouts per week.

Since you read this far, another topic of interest to me is how to convince folks to commit to something like this instead of just to cool costumes and stalking the night, which is admittedly a bit easier to portray as fun.

Also any exercise you don't quite understand -- for the most part you can find a demonstration using Google or doing a YT search.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm

So after the initial 13 weeks you can go back to smoking and drinking?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm

It's more like having an immediate tangible goal since "quitting smoking forever" hasn't seemed to work all that well for me so far.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:03 pm

I like it. Sadly I need a workout buddy for motivation, but I have one of those. So, I'll let you know. I'm already in moderately good shape but I can guarantee you this will kick my ass.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:11 pm

This sounds like a really good plan. I don't know how well I'll be able to do everything, and I'll need to talk to my chiropractor about this first, but I'm going to give it a go. I'll have to wait until the start of the Fall semester because my work out buddy and I took a break for the summer, but I will attempt this. Let's see how it goes. Smile
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm

If you have back problems *seriously* do get an expert opinion first... unfortunately I did not design this to have a low risk of injury. It's probably not going to maim anyone, but it definitely includes things that some people advise against.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 pm

If you can stay off the cigs and alcohol for the thirteen weeks, I'd say you have a fair shot at staying off them, especially as you feel the health benefits from the workout.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't view alcohol in moderation as that big of a deal... I just threw it in there for GP. Not smoking has been extremely challenging for me, though. I did it for basic and other similar things like that, pretty much because I had to... or at least convinced myself of that.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Well good luck with it at any rate. You've set a good goal for yourself, and it sounds like you have determination enough to reach it.
Back to top Go down
Max

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 pm

If an old man might offer an opinion?

Some injuries take months, or years, to heal. Some injuries require surgery to make right. And some injuries are for the rest of your life. When I was younger, I injured my knee doing tae kwon do, and it has never been right since. And that was 20-plus years ago.

In addition, I overtrained for an obstacle course over a year ago. I competed, and finished, but my leg was injured for over a year, and I'm only just now getting to where I can do any kind of a decent run again.

I am not recommending that you take it easy. But I do recommend that you take it smart. If there is a chance that you might injure yourself doing a particular exercise, see if there is a way to do the exercise so that you won't injure yourself. Workouts, exercises, are done to make you better. Not to limit you in the future.

Don't set yourself back while you're trying to make yourself better.
Back to top Go down
Ohm

Ohm

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

I'll try. And 100% fail.
But trying's free and I'll be sure to pace myself as to avoid injury. : ) And thanks for compiling this.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Quit smoking is easy if you really want to. All you have to do is to never forget why you quit. Pros are never forgotten, cons are forgotten after the first week.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Easiest (or hardest way, depending on how you look at it)

Have some guy follow you around, twice your size and ten times the temper.
Every time you try to buy, bum or trade for a cig, he will grab it from you. If you can kick his ass to get it, you've earned it but failed in your goal. If you can't, each attempt to get your cig will make you a bit stronger (or black and blue-er)

Pavlovian response works almost every time, go for a cig, get into a fight...

With that in mind, the second easiest way is keep in mind WHY. Your daughter, need to stay healthy so you don't grow man-boobs later on, whatever it is.

Speaking of fights, bbl!
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:22 am

E0N wrote:
If you have back problems *seriously* do get an expert opinion first... unfortunately I did not design this to have a low risk of injury. It's probably not going to maim anyone, but it definitely includes things that some people advise against.

No back injury, but my hip isn't level. I'm already out of PT and have been for a while, but I go once a month for an alignment. I'll make sure to talk to him first and to take it easy on the lower back/hip stuff.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 am

Krystalline wrote:
No back injury, but my hip isn't level.

I could fix that, giggidy.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 pm

I dislocated my hip once, and that hurts like he'll. Fully recovered, but I recommend avoidiing such injuries.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Gauge wrote:
I dislocated my hip once, and that hurts like he'll. Fully recovered, but I recommend avoidiing such injuries.

Yeah, I try to avoid stuff like that, but my bones like popping out of socket on their own without asking my permission first. Thankfully they go back in on their own so no-one has to set it.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Personally, think I finally have my woirkout regimen dialed in. It feels really great to be making real progress after two months of tweaking it.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I am a personal trainer and teacher of other persoanl trainers
and Recognized Expert Witness on the subject of Weight Lifting.

This work out has pros and cons but you'd get fired for
making people do some of this stuff if you were a personal trainer.
Some of it is great!

I'll type in some feed-back later, please.
Please, me not snotty.
Me worry
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:39 pm

My hip popped back in too and have had no problems since. I was just walking along and bam!
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Gauge wrote:
My hip popped back in too and have had no problems since. I was just walking along and bam!

Yup, sounds about right. It sucks worse when your foot does it. For the next three weeks everyone thinks I've sprained my ankle.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm

as to hip and foot -
bones, held in place by muscles and strap-like things.
The muscles change a lot.
The strap-like things do not.

Weak and crookedly weak muscles are all too common.
The bones move to where function cannot occur correctly.

The solution is muscle strength and maintaining that strength
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks, Flora. I appreciate it and look forward to seeing what you have to say. I'd actually get fired... well, probably just told to stop really... if I'd made soldiers do this. So far among people I've talked to who seem to legitimately know about this stuff not doing ballistic stretching is a big consensus.

But... I've done it for years... Razz

Ohm, I did something like this workout about two years ago and made about 30-40 people do it with me... especially the strength training part was very similar, but without weights. Pretty much everybody hits muscle failure during it. The thing I put in there about keeping going with modified exercises makes a difference... it's way better than sitting there trying to do something you can't do. Also the pretty short sets help, because you can take a bit of time to recover between them. For a group I usually went with 30 seconds.

(Which is to say everybody "fails"... the only real failure is to quit, whether it's this or whatever other thing you plan out for yourself)
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:56 pm

My situation was very quick, very painful. Don't know what caused it, but it has never given me any trouble other than the once.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:04 am

- contrary to my intention to quit smoking, I've actually been smoking a lot more lately... Sad
- etc
EVERY HALF CIG THAT YO SMOKE IS LESS TAR THAN A WHOLE CIG.

Team Physical Training
Initial training for each member is a set 13 week program described below.
...TO START! YOU'D NEVER JUST BRUSH TEETH FOR 13 WEEKS!~

Lifestyle
For 13 weeks, don’t smoke or drink alcohol. Eat six times a day including a variety of foods, but with an especially protein heavy diet. Drink sufficient water to maintain clear urine. Don’t go overboard, but don’t restrict salt intake because you’ll need it. Take nutritional supplements in moderation – Peracitam, Sun Chlorella, Omega-3, DHA, multi-vitamins including ACE, etc.

I CAN, ONLY, RECOMMEND THE MULTI VITAMIN AND CALCIUM - ( MEN TOO )

EAT SIX MEALS A DAY AND MAKE YORU PROTIEN PRECISE AND FAT LOW.
TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE PROTIEN ISN'T WORTH THE TROUBLE

Stuff you need
Gym or set of weights (optimally), track (optimally), hilly terrain or stairs, a watch, running shoes, exercise clothes, sandy terrain (beach) is best for plyometric exercises, and a punching bag. If you don’t have access to a real punching bag, one can be improvised by rolling a carpet remnant around sandbags and securing it with duct tape. If you’re really destitute, just strike at the air, although this increases your risk of injury.

YAH, OR DRUMS!!! BERRY BERRY GOOD!

Exercise
Stretch for 5-10 minutes before and after each workout daily. Include ballistic stretching (bouncing during stretches) to make faster gains in flexibility, but do so with caution not to hyperflex/hyperextend yourself.
NO BALLISTIC STRETCH EVER HOLD ALL STRETCH 30 SECONDS AND DON'T CURVE YORU BACK FORWARD OR CRUSH OR TWIST YOUR KNEES

Strength training is done on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays using weight training and bodyweight exercises (pushups, sit-ups, squats, etc) in super sets. Super sets are a training method in which you do two exercises consecutively with no rest in between. They have several advantages. They’re time-efficient. They boost production of lactic acid, which results in higher levels of Growth Hormone (GH) in the body, building muscle faster. And their greater intensity causes increased muscle fiber activation, which also helps to build muscle faster.

DOESN'T PRODUCE GROWTH HORMONE, THAT STOPS WHEN YOU STOP GROWING.
HEALING AND STORING ARE DIFFERENT THAN GROWTH
BUT A+ FOR SUPER SETS!!!!
AND YES, TO MWF

For each day first perform the listed number of repetitions as upper body exercises (weightlifting [bench-press, deadlifts, etc] pushup variations* [close-hand, wide-arm, Superman pushups, plyometric push-ups, etc], then do the listed number of repetitions of lower body exercise variations** (crunches, sit-ups, squats, exploding star jumps, etc). An almost infinite number of exercise variations can be found through simple internet searches.

LOWER BODY FIRST

In all cases if you reach muscle failure, rather than resting modify the exercise (i.e. go to your knees) and make a continuous effort until completion of the set number of repetitions.

NEVER TO FAILURE - EVER, SAVE EXHAUSTION FOR CARDIO.
"FAILURE" IS A PATH TO INJURY

M/W/F
Week 1 - 10 super sets of 6/6 (120 total)
Week 2 - 10 super sets of 7/7 (140 total)
Week 3 - 10 super sets of 8/8 (160 total)
Week 4 - 10 super sets of 9/9 (180 total)
Week 5 - 10 super sets of 10/10 (200 total)
Week 6 - 10 super sets of 11/11 (220 total)
Week 7 - 10 super sets of 12/12 (240 total)
Week 8 - 11 super sets of 12/12 (264 total)
Week 9 - 12 super sets of 12/12 (288 total)
Week 10 - 13 super sets of 12/12 (312 total)
Week 11 - 14 super sets of 12/12 (336 total)
Week 12 - 15 super sets of 12/12 (360 total)
Week 13 - 16 super sets of 12/12 (384 total)

I DON'T LOVE THIS 6,7,8,9 ETC. BUT IT' AIN'T BAD!

I WOULD STRETCH IT OVER SIX MONTHS
PS. BE SURE TO NOTE THAT THIS WILL BE HELL FOR THE FIRST SIX WEEKS
AND THEN, SUDDENLY EASIER

On the same day as each strength training workout (attempt to) perform 10 pull-ups.

DON'T ATTEMPT. TOO MANY SHOULDER END THIS WAY.
DO PULL DOWNS OR GET A SPOTTER AND DO THE FULLL RANGE OF MOTION
WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO.

PEOPLE POINT AND STARE AT ME BECAUSE I AM SO STRONG but I CANNOT DO A PULL UP.
I HAVE THIN STRONG RIPPED ARMS AND HUGE LEGS. MY ARMS CANNOT LIFT MY LOWER BODY

Running is done on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays to increase speed and cardio-respiratory endurance. On Tuesdays sprint for 40 seconds, then walk or slow jog for 20 seconds until the time is up; including bounding during sprints (jumping, exaggerated running). On Thursdays run continuously for the allotted time on a track (or other flat surface); practice a combat roll (Parkour roll) as you complete each lap (or “periodically” if not on a track); during the running part try to incorporate “gravity running,” which is leaning forward on the balls of your feet and letting gravity do some of the work – sort of like a constant controlled fall forward. The combat rolls should be done as a continuous motion – you keep running afterwards without hesitating. On Saturdays incorporate hills or stairs into your run (this results in faster improvement).

I LOVE THIS BUT RUNNING ON THE BALLS OF THE FEET IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.
THE FASTEST RUNNERS DO IT AND THE FEET ARE MADE FOR IT.
PS. VIBRAM FIVE FINGER SHOES ARE THE ONLY SHOE TO WEAR, PERIOD

WHEN YOU CAN'T RUN, WALK. IF YOU CAN'T RUN, WALK.
IF YOU AREN'T IN SHAPE, WALK.

If you reach a level of fatigue that precludes doing the extra stuff (bounding, rolling, etc), at least continuously run (at any speed possible) for the allotted time.

Striking drills (punching, kicking, etc) are done after each run, preferably with a punching bag.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T/Th/Sat
Week 1 - 20 minutes, 4 two-minute striking drills
Week 2 - 20 minutes, 5 two-minute striking drills
Week 3 - No running, 6 two minute striking drills
Week 4 - 30 minutes, 4 three-minute striking drills
Week 5 - 30 minutes, 4 three-minute striking drills
Week 6 - 30 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 7 - 40 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 8 - 40 minutes, 5 three minute striking drills
Week 9 - 40 minutes, 6 three-minute striking drills
Week 10 - 50 minutes, 6 three-minute striking drills
Week 11 - 50 minutes, 6 four-minute striking drills
Week 12 - 60 minutes, 6 four-minute striking drills
Week 13 - 60 minutes, 6 five-minute striking drills

YES!!!!

Upper Body Exercise Variations (pushup variations, mostly)
(Regular) Pushups
Close-hand pushups (Diamond pushups)

NO

Cobras (body from the hips downward rests on the ground)
Dive-bombers (butt in the air, move under an imaginary bar on the way down and up)
Dove tail pushups (increase depth of pushup by 1/3, 2/3, then a full pushup; one time through is one repetition)
Elevated pushups (elevate your feet)
Fingertip pushups
Handstand pushups (Wall pushups)
Hindu pushups (butt in the air, move under an imaginary bar on the way down; push up normally)
Inchworms (begin in a modified pushup position with feet and hands positioned close together, walk forward on your hands to a normal pushup position, walk forward on your feet to complete the repetition)
Knuckle pushups
Maltese pushups (arms downward, hands approximately parallel to your waist)
Pike pushups (butt in the air; weight on shoulders)
Plyometric pushups (bounce up off the ground with each repetition)
Side-to-side pushups (lower only one side of the body with each rep)
Spiderman pushups (bring one leg in at your side, knee bent, as you go down – leg remains above the ground)
Staggered pushups (one hand is place upward [above your head] and the other downward [toward your waist]; alternate)
Superman pushups (arms over your head and extended as if you’re trying to fly)
Three-point pushups (lift one leg)
Tiger pushups (close hands, extremely wide leg stance, butt in the air)
Transition to three-point pushups (lift one leg as you perform each repetition)
T-stabilization pushups (as you come up continue the motion by rotating your body and raising one arm to form a sideways facing “T” shape; alternate sides)
Wide-arm pushups
Yoga pushups (butt in the air, sag in the middle, repeat [this is probably not real Yoga])
Pull-up variations – pull-ups/chin-ups, behind the neck, close-hand, mixed-grip (hands facing opposite ways); muscle-ups

ALL YES

Lower body exercise variations (mostly)
Crunches
Sit-ups

NO

Squats
Back extensions (lie on your stomach; raise your upper and lower body simultaneously)
Crossover crunches (left leg over right knee, arms as if for sit-ups, perform a crunch, alternate sides)
Exploding star jumps
Fire hydrants (on your knees with hands on the ground raise one leg sideways with knee bent)
Flutter kicks (four-count, which basically means four flutter kicks equal one repetition)
Frog kicks (sit on the ground with your hands behind you, kick forward with both legs)
Hindu squats (stand on the toes and balls of your feet only)
Leg lifts (lie down, legs together, lift them in unison)
Leg spreaders (“Hello Dollies”)

EH?

Long arm crunches (crunches with your hands together and extended above your head)
One-leg squats (lift one leg up and extend it forward with each repetition)
Pelvic thrusts (“Bridging exercise”; lay on your back, lift your pelvis up off the ground)
Plyometric squats (Squat jumps)
Prisoner squats (position your hands behind your head)
Reverse crunches
Rocky sit-ups
NO
Russian sit-ups (V-leg sit-ups)
NO
Russian twists
Straight-leg sit-ups
NO
Torso twists (AKA hip rolls)
Vertical leg crunches (reverse crunches with feet together and legs extended straight up into the air)
NO
V-ups
NO
A note about physical limitations
Exercises should be modified to accommodate individual physical limitations, such as a bad knee, rotator cuff injuries, etc. Seek the advice of a doctor/physical therapist before proceeding in this case.

Follow up
Real functional fitness takes about three years to solidify. After this beginning program continue to exercise observing the basic principles of exercise (Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type,).

YES

Once all members have been through this basic 13 week program fitness becomes an individual responsibility with periodic group sessions to keep everybody honest. As new people are recruited administering the 13-week program is a chore divided among existing members.

YES

In any case all members must do a minimum of 3 one-hour workouts per week.

YES
Since you read this far, another topic of interest to me is how to convince folks to commit to something like this instead of just to cool costumes and stalking the night, which is admittedly a bit easier to portray as fun.

Also any exercise you don't quite understand -- for the most part you can find a demonstration using Google or doing a YT search.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan   Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Help me tweak/beta test a workout plan
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next