Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to safely test out pepper spray?

Go down 
+10
Redline
Flora V. Arbor
Midnite Detective
Zimmer
Proteus
Urban Avenger
Gauge
Jack Shadow
E0N (Inactive)
DRock
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm

The difference is if you want to know what it feels like to die of a gunshot wound, you will be dead. Pepper spray won't kill you. Although I don't recommend drinking it.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Mr. Xtreme and I did a radio interview this morning. The host asked if I'd ever used my stun gun on anyone. I said myself for testing purposes. He asked if I had a gun would I shoot myself in the leg. Not exactly a justifiable or fair comparison.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Dogman wrote:
almost

The comparison is used because you pretty much knows what happen when you use it on somebody whithout using it on yourself first.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 pm

He's either an idiot, or he's trying to make you look like one. Probably both. No way he'd ask that to a police officer.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Dogman, you either want to have a learning experience in your own backyard or on the street. I pick to have a learning experience on my own than in the field.

Second, if you're carrying a weapon, or have a chance that it'll be used on you, you should know how it feels.

Third, if I asked you to pick between me spraying pepper spray in your face or shooting you with bullets in the face, it'd be the fastest damn decision you'd ever make.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Dogman a gun shoots a bullet forcefully in one direction . Pepper spray is a cloud that will hit the guy and prolly hit you too . If the wind is blowing in your direction it might get you as much as him . I know what it does to me and am therefore more prepared to deal with it . Any flaws in that logic ? a local hero accidentlly stuned himself pulling his stun gun from his belt . It could happen . If you carry a stun gun on patrol you should know what it does to you , it could be the difference between life and death in a hairy situation . Does that still seem " silly " now ?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

A good spray should be a fairly forceful stream. Ideally, you could control the situation to be upwind of the assailant if you feel you may need to spray him, but that is not always possible. If you know how you respond to the spray, you can decide if the risk to you is worth deploying the spray in a given situation.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:58 pm

A couple of things to take note when using it

Stand downwind to avoid having it blow in your face

It will not work in cold weather
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:03 pm

You mean below freezing right?
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes Also while it may work It has not been thoroughly tested on polarbears so it may not work as well as it would on brown black or grizzy bears as I just mentioned in the bear watch thread
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

That's what bear mace is for.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:23 pm

As far as I know Bear mace has the same effect up here in colder weather as pepper spray but I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Keep it in an insulated pouch if you're outdoors in winter weather until you feel you will need it.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Problem is none of my utility belts are insulated because they dont make them for winter I just wear leather belts with pockets in front for my things and I doubt Mace or spray would go well with my cellphone and other things I carry with me
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Bummer
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I think most of the time bear mace is literally the same thing renamed to accomodate Canadian law.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:56 pm

Polarman wrote:
A couple of things to take note when using it

Stand downwind to avoid having it blow in your face

It will not work in cold weather

That's probably an advantage for Liquid Hate. Rubbing alcohol is the main ingredient. Lower freezing point.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Polarman, you could make your own insulated pouch. What are your resources?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How to safely test out pepper spray?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3