Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".

Go down 
+10
Jack Shadow
Vulpo
The Reverend
Urban Avenger
E0N (Inactive)
Zimmer
Gauge
Hazmat
Equal
JohnDoe
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Geist wrote:
I still politely contend that the effort and the help are what's the make or break. Training and gear are ongoing improvement and there is no other single benchmark to say, "I've made it."

This
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 am

You can't train your body without having properly trained your mind in the same way you can't build a castle on a foundation of nothing but quicksand. This is clear to me now more so than before.

I appear to be leaning more towards crime-fighting than handouts.

On your take on skipping the training and gear to do handouts I must respectfully disagree to a point. I've heard of people who have done handouts and gotten shot and killed. Even if it were to come down to doing handouts instead of crime-fighting I'd still rather be over-prepared than not. Thanks for your insightful responses so far everyone, you've all been a really big help so far.

I'm frankly surprised with the amount of responses so far, thank you.

Last edited by JohnDoe on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Youre wlcome
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:58 pm

People get shot, stabbed, raped, and mugged just walking home from the grocery store. You don't need special training for handouts any more than you do for other normal things. Being observant and cautious is usually enough. I would suggest you not go alone if you plan on going to sketchy parts if town. Otherwise, just go where they go to ask for money. They aren't begging for change in the poor areas if town. Do your handouts in the daytime. Be smart and be safe.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:58 pm

The statistical probability of being shot, stabbed, mugged and or raped for the average American are not necessarily the highest and bad things still happen to people everyday, I agree with your outlook on this Gauge. The problem is I plan to throw myself out there as much as possible, as often as possible in some not very nice places. A lot of uncertainty will be thrown my way and my control over my environment will be lessened to a great extent. I hope that training and gear will make up for some of that chaos by providing a certain level of added control. This is why I personally feel I'm not ready.

I mostly just wanted to gauge a number of responses on the matter (no pun intended Gauge) and you helped me achieve that, thank you.

Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:02 pm

No problem. And we seem to be in agreement when it comes to crime patrols, so if that's where you look to be, then train your ass off. Once you've done that, you're halfway there. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 am

No offense jondoe but there are lots of people who talk and talk but never hit the street . We tend to "Gauge " the people on this site by their actions .
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:51 am

Are you writing an article?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:53 am

Gauge wrote:
Are you writing an article?
I'd reckon that this forum accurately archives it to the point where there wouldn't need to be an article.

I'm not a RLSH yet, but I still have my "patrols" and I still serve people simply for the principle of it, because I know that's the most important part.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Thinking it to death will keep you in "getting ready" limbo forever.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm

In business there is a principle called "analysis paralysis". Don't get so caught up in the details that you never take action.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm not going to name names, but me and another person joined this community about the same time, he was meticulously planning out every step of what he was going to be, and he still is to the point he'll probably never get on the street. Me, I started patrols when I was 17 and had the logic that thick clothes were going to help protect me which obviously failed and I got my share of bruises and cuts to prove it.

But at least I went out and did something, you can't plan for every scenario, doing so wastes valuable time you could be using to help people. Over planning with little action is one of the biggest problems in this community. (Maybe even society in general.)

How long does it take to be a RLSH? As long as it takes you to leave your house. If you can't handle the threat of dealing with a dangerous scenario when it happens, then find another way to help people.

Last edited by Sleepless on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 pm

I like what sleepless said.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Sleepless wrote:
If you can't handle the threat of dealing with a dangerous scenario when it happens, then find another way to help people.
Dead center that.^

I have someone that is learning all she can about being an Oracle here is Salem. She is into doing charity events and stuff but hand-outs and crime patrol is not her deal. So she is reading up on the stuff here and setting up her resources to Oracle for the Cherry City team. This is what she can do. This is how she can help.

God bless her and anyone else that gets it in gear and DOES something.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 am

Keep it coming guys. I think I need to be shaken out of inaction.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:31 am

This is a long post so bare with me,
Here are some points I found from a book titled Self Discipline In 10 Days:

1. A part of you does not want self discipline.

Inside of you, there is a little part of you that wants to be completely lazy. Anytime you try to do something worthwhile, that person inside you tries everything possible to get you to stop.

The only way to get good at learning self discipline is to have the ability to communicate with this person inside you effectively.

I'll warn you though, this person is extremely persuasive. And it's important that you realize this from the beginning. You're not going to win every battle with this person. You simply need to strive to do your best.

What kind of things does this person inside you say?...

2. The 5 things that this person tries to trick you into doing something else.

Here is, more or less, the five things that this person inside you says to get you to stopping doing what's important...
What's the point of all of this?
Why bother? Remember last time you tried something like that?
I'm not good enough. I don't have what it takes. I'm too fat/ugly/skinny/shy etc.
Let's go do something else. Let's just watch some TV for a little bit.
We'll do it later. No need to get started right now.
Reading over this list, I bet you realize that you've said some of these things a million times to yourself. This is the little person inside you speaking. Remember, this person doesn't want you to have self discipline. And they've discovered that by saying these things, it often times gets you to stop what you're doing!

The trick is to realize these thoughts the moment they arrive. And kindly tell yourself that they are simply a trick to try to get you to do something else! How can you fight these tricks?...

3. A great tip to get you up and going.

Here's a tip that will get you off the couch and start working. It's a bit silly. But I promise that if you try it just one time you will not think it's so silly anymore...

State out loud (or in your head) what you want to be doing, as if you were actually already doing it.

If you want to stop watching TV and start doing yard work, repeat to yourself, "I am doing yard work. I am doing yard work. I am doing yard work."

You're probably thinking that there is no way that this works. Believe me, I said the same thing myself. All I ask is that you try it just one time! I hope you do. You'll be amazed!

4. Self discipline is not a trait, its a skill.

Laugh the next time you hear someone say that they are self disciplined. Because the reality is, you can't be self disciplined. You can use self discipline. But you can't be it as if it was a quality in you.

If you take someone that you think is very skilled in self discipline, you will realize that even for them, the little person inside them gets the best of them at least some of the time.

That's because no matter how skilled you are, there is always room for improvement. The best basketball player on the planet still misses a shot from time to time.

Self discipline is a skill. A skill that you need to constantly get better at. Practice it every day. Because the day you stop practicing is the day you start to lose it.

5. Ask yourself, "How can I get myself to do what a part of me doesn't want to do?"

Whenever you hear yourself saying one of the five things mentioned above, stop what you are doing immediately.

Think about what this person in you is saying. Is their point valid? Usually it's not. And when it isn't valid, you need to have some kind of pick-me-up to get you through it. Try using tip 3 and start chanting what you want to be doing. Rewards work well too.

One thing that has worked really well for me is when I read my notecard of inspiration. You will learn more about this in tip 10.

Little things make a big difference. Especially when it comes to learning self discipline.

6. You fear failure because you don't separate the task from yourself.

This is a big clue as to why you haven't started doing a lot of the things that you've always said you wanted to do.

We are all consumed by fears. Whether we realize this or not.

Fear of failure is certainly towards the top of the list. And it's for this reason that we fear it so much. If our project fails. We consider ourselves a failure. It's important that you realize that you do this and stop thinking this way.

If your project fails, big deal! You're still a winner for trying. I know you might think that this sounds like a loser's attitude but it's not. As long as you tried your best when you were working on it, you'll be a winner every time!

If you gave half effort and the project failed, you are a loser! But if deep down you know you tried your hardest, the next project you face you will be that much better.

7. Ask yourself, "What is the worst that can happen?"

Continuing on with dealing with fears, this saying is the best antidote I've heard.

Next time you're afraid to make that phone call that you really need to make, ask yourself, "What is the worst thing that could happen?"

You will be amazed by how many times the answer to this question is "not much." Try this the next time you are frozen from action because of some fear. Think about the worst thing that can happen. Accept it. And then do it!

8. Don't have an "all or nothing" attitude.

The reason we don't get started on many important things and the reason our self discipline falters is because of our instinct of "all or nothing."

I used to have the hardest time getting started writing a new page for the site because I said to myself, "if I start then I have to finish it!"

When you start on something, start with the attitude that you are going to do your best and whatever happens, happens. When you do this, you will find yourself getting started much more quickly. And ultimately, getting a whole lot more done.

9. The reality of getting it done is more satisfying than getting it perfect.

This relates a little to the previous tip. Having a "perfectionist" attitude will really kill your self discipline.

If everything needs to be perfect, you need to get rid of that attitude immediately. Because a lot of things just need to be good enough. And nothing more.

The ultimate satisfaction comes when you do your best and get it done. If you need to go back later and improve it you can. But focus your thoughts and attitude on getting things done. And getting them done as quickly as possible.

You'll be amazed by how this attitude will effect your self discipline and your overall happiness.

10. Have a notecard of inspiration.

The final tip is to have a notecard of inspiration. What's that?

It's very simple. Get a notecard and write three motivational things on it. I like to have two motivational quotes and one big goal that I'm striving towards.

Now, be sure to only have three things on it. Keep it simple or you'll never look at it. And be sure to change this notecard and add new stuff to it from time to time.

I would say that you need to make a new card at least every two weeks. Because it doesn't take long before the thoughts written on the card lose their power and don't quite give you the inspiration that had before.

Be sure to have this card in a place where you will see it all of the time. My motivation card sits right by my computer. I can't tell you how many times I've glanced over at this card and a surge of energy started to come up inside of me.

Similar to tip 3, you might think that this card won't do that much for you. But all that I ask is for you to try it for a week. Right this second, go grab an index card and look up "motivational quotes" in a search engine. Try this for a week and see if it doesn't help you improve your self discipline.
Back to top Go down
Iron Lamb

Iron Lamb

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:28 am

You can start doing this without a costume. Just be a watchful neighbor. A helpful friend. A concerned citizen etc.
Patrolling with a hidden camera etc. is good enough to start with. Keeping your ears open at certain places does do tricks.
Learn about the environment you will "work" in before planning how the costume must look (protection etc.).

When you are confident enough...you just go brother!

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Whatever you do reinforces your tendency to do it... whether that's "something" or "nothing." If you want to be shaken out of inaction, go do something for 30 minutes every day. For the first two weeks or so don't allow yourself to skip a single day under any circumstances unless you've just suffered a horrific injury and need to be taken to the emergency room immediately.

Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Eon: I like that one. It will be like a challenge. Martial Arts will be a nice place to implement this, I think.

Double Helix: I consider your advice to be invaluable, thank you. Self-decipline is one of those things that will make or break anyone striving for greatness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3