Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to train with a speed bag

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How to train with a speed bag Empty
PostSubject: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43 pm

This is a simple article on the subject: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If anyone has something to add, please do.

The reason I bring this up is that all of the gyms I have access to have a speed bag available virtually all of the time, so it's the punching bag I've been able to make use of the most... and I was doing it totally wrong for most of the time I've been using it.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 pm

The article is flimsy and gives no tips for helping you train. Start slow yes, but counting the bounces helps some people with timing. Try this if you find it hard to time the bounces at first. It will become second nature and you won't even think about it after a very short time practicing. Voila! You have found your timing.

I also recommend paying very close attention to proper stance and striking techniques. To train without those in mind is training to do it wrong in a confrontation. Maintain a balanced position in front of the bag until you reach the one bounce punch. Once you master that, then start mixing footwork into your routine.

Boxers aren't fighting for their lives. If an rlsh gets into a fight, they are. Train to be the best you can be, or why train at all?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:37 pm

What threw me is that I assumed you didn't let the bag bounce at all (other than backwards once)... it never occurred to me to let it bounce...

So... quite an arm and shoulder workout, but not realistic at all for real punches...

Also, yes, even doing it right I don't see how it's much more than physical conditioning. The thing is, like I said, that type of bag is most readily available to me personally. They only have a heavy bag set up/available about 1/3 as often.

I'm probably just going to buy one.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:32 pm

You can use it for striking form practice if that's all you have, but you want resistance too. I used to pound on anything that was solid before I got access to real gear. I got some very ugly, but very tough knuckles as a result.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 pm

I moisturize a lot.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 am

An epiphany I had when i first started using speed bags (a long time ago) was that people (including me) have a tendency to expect that their eyes are what they should be using as their primary perceptive sense, but that the eyes actually have a very minor role in the speed bag process. The ears ... now thats where it's at. Gauge is right about counting the bounces, but it's a lot easier to track the bag by sound than by sight when you're counting out your 1,2,3,hit,1,2,3,hit. Your eyes are very deceptive and should really only be used to gauge the lateral rotational angle.

Another tip though ... remember, when you get excited because you're starting to hit the bag with a rhythm, not to let the excitement take over and cause you to hit the bag with a disproportionate amount of power from the previous strikes. It WILL speed up Razz.

I do not condone single bounce strike practice. It looks cool, but you will get far more effective practice using a triple bounce. Once you get the mechanics of the single bounce down all it really is is flailing your arms about with no reflexive or adaptive reasoning which are both very useful traits of the triple bounce training.

If you get good enough to want to "level up" your speed bag workout (above and beyond just speeding up) I'd suggest using proper striking techniques and extensions while you're hitting the bag. The uneven surface of the front of your knuckles throws the angle of the bag off here and there and makes tracking it a bit harder.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Definitely hearing is the best sense for bag. If the bag was guaranteed to follow the same path with every hit, then you ideally would be able to eventually do the bag with your eyes closed. I like the one bounce, but Psyphon made a great point about getting lazy. The thing is that even on the three bounce you will do the same. I tend to vary my punches during speed bag workouts. The bounces will always be an odd number, so its still somewhat predictable, but thats speed bag for you. After a while it gets to be second nature. Arrhythmic punching is very effective for me, and seems more realistic for confrontations, but I still do traditional speedbag routines as well.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Psyphon wrote:
tip though ... remember, when you get excited because you're starting to hit the bag with a rhythm, not to let the excitement take over and cause you to hit the bag with a disproportionate amount of power from the previous strikes. It WILL speed up Razz.

I noticed. Razz

I don't think single bounces are a great thing -- it's just what I automatically thought I was supposed to do at first. Every punch I'm able to throw that way and keep the bag going is pretty worthless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to train with a speed bag   How to train with a speed bag Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How to train with a speed bag
Page 1 of 1