Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Preparation

Go down 
+5
Gauge
Zimmer
Urban Avenger
Kaiju
Shade Gargoyle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:11 pm

I've been wondering about this for some time, and I thought it might be best to once again to open this discussion to the more seasoned minds among us.
How much preparation is too much? How long should you take in training your body, and constructing/amassing your equipment, before you actually set out into the real world to help people? I realize that such a question coming from one of the community's youngest members is likely odd, and I do not wish to appear overly eager, but... Honestly, I am.
I want to be out there helping people, and improving my city, but I always reign myself in with thoughts of not having sufficient training - I've never studied hand-to-hand martial arts, and, while not significantly unhealthy, I'm hardly in any shape at present to chase someone down, or engage in a 6 to 1 street fight. I try to justify this to myself by saying that I've been cultivating a number of crucial noncombat skills, like a solid moral code, and honing my negotiation and communication skills, but these things to me are second nature, and therefore seem immaterial.
I have investigated the different methods and materials of constructing my armor and other equipment, and researched which martial arts would be most useful, and are offered in my area, and am already working to educate myself on criminal justice and law at university. I plan to finally start formally training as soon as I can finally find a job, but how long should I train for? I had assumed somewhere around three to four years would be best, putting me out on the street in my physical prime, with a considerable amount of preparation, but what do you all think? How long did you spend conditioning your bodies, and how long would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

There are things you can do without any real training. You can just go out on patrol and report any crimes or suspicious activities you witness to the police. Also be on the look out for any ways you can help in any way at all.

I really see no reason not to just get started as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:10 pm

I don't simply want to be another pair of eyes and ears for the police, though. Virtually anyone can do that... Then again, I suppose there is value in that.

It's a personal matter, really: a large part of why I feel that RLSH work is important is because, realistically, the justice system is sorely flawed. When it works, it is agonizingly slow, ridiculously complex, and ineffective to rehabilitate the few criminals that are convicted. Putting criminals in prison either serves simply to delay them, or, far more likely, make them much, much worse. Although I respect police officers immensely on an individual level, and have no desire to defy the law, or become a vigilante, supporting the legal system by relying exclusively upon it in its present, flawed state will do nothing to refine or improve it.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:06 pm

This has been brought up before, like you said, and I'll give the same answer I've given before. Where are you now in terms of skill or physical fitness? Its all relative. When I started doing this, I already had some fighting experience, martial arts training, some gear and was in pretty good shape.

So where do you stand? Where do you feel you need to improve? What can you take to the streets right now?
Back to top Go down
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Well, as I said, I haven't had any martial arts experience so far, and while I'm not significantly unhealthy as far as being overweight or anything like that (Actually, I'm slightly underweight for my height), I don't feel that I possess the strength or endurance one would likely need to do this kind of work.
Realistically, I am not prepared for any kind of violent encounter or fight, chasing anyone down for long distances (Although I am a natural sprinter), and I'm afraid that even so much as conducting an extended patrol (5 hours or so of walking or jogging) would be beyond my reach.

Thus far, the only things I have to offer are good intentions, a moral code, empathy, guidance, negotiation and communication skills, and determination.

I also feel that I should increase my knowledge of the different charitable organizations, rehabilitation and addiction management groups, and homeless shelters/outreach in my city, as well as the legal system. As I said, however, I am working to educate myself in matters of law.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Okay, so how's your budget? If you can spare some money buy some free weights at walmart and a resistance band. If you can't do that, get a gallon of water and use that to build some weight. Get creative, maybe search youtube for some weightless/weight free exercises. Jog for 20 minutes a day to help build up your stamina. Look up some local karate studios or community centers that might offer affordable self defense classes. At the very least, get together with a friend and look up self defense techniques on youtube and study them like crazy. Your local library also might have some good videos or books you can study.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:46 am

Incline pushups are great for building upper body strength and don't require weights.

Start with basics, even if it's not something you want to be doing forever, like keeping an eye on a bad community or doing homeless outreach. It'll give you experience and perspective to move onto more unique, challenging and productive work. Without a solid foundation, you're toast.

I highly recommend the book "The Dirty Dozen" by Larry Jordan to absolutely anyone who wants to get started in practical self defense, or wants to add some truly nasty moves to their toolbox.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:26 am

Swim laps. Do yard work (credit to Flora v. Arbor). Build leg strength, foot strength. Stretch a lot. Learn to be hyper-observant. Exercise your eyes, the same as any muscle. I learned that from my eye doctor.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 am

Go outside AND prepare at the same time. Every random person you see on the street somehow has avoided being shot in the face by a criminal -- it's not rocket science.

Also I'll add that no one -- ever -- will be in the shape for a 6 to 1 street fight.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm

You would be lucky to get out of a 4 against 1 streetfight
Back to top Go down
Max

Category :
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:04 pm

My preacher said something during his sermon yesterday that is absolutely true.

"A little bit is enough if enough people do it."

It's like building a brick wall. So you can't build the wall by yourself. Don't have the skill, or the materials, or the strength or endurance, or the time. Can you pick up one brick, and put it in place? That little bit helps, and when others join in, the job gets done.

You have eyes, and some judgement (or you wouldn't be here asking the question), and a moral code. You can get out and pay attention, and let people who can do more know when you see something wrong that you can't do something about. Want to do more? Fine; while you're doing what you can, develop a way to do more. One step at a time, one piece at a time.

You can never train enough to do it all.
And you can never be untrained enough that you can't do anything.

For years, I went on just having time enough to get out and smarts enough to not get in over my head. And I still can't go do what UA or these other hardasses can do. But that doesn't stop me from doing WHAT I CAN.

Do what you can. And work on being able to do more.

That's what you do.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 pm

6 - 1 scenario is doable, but you have to be very lucky as well as skilled, and you have to be willing to seriously injure or kill someone in self-defense. I don't recommend getting into such a situation. Let it be clear that I don't condone killing or purposely injuring others. Not trying to violate forum rules.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 pm

And if you are going to try and take 6 guys on, make sure you are wearing some kind of head protection, they like going for the head. Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:34 pm

It like flossing.

No matter how well you do it,
you have to do it again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preparation   Preparation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Preparation
Page 1 of 1