Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If you want to know about computers.

Go down 
+5
Zimmer
JohnDoe
patchwork
Goldilocks
The Jinn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

If you want to know about computers. Empty
PostSubject: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 am

I know more about software than hardware. I know security stuff and I'm interested in how browsers work. I'm good at tracking people down online. If these things interest you. I'll gladly answer questions regarding them. If I don't know the answer I'll find it. I know how to keep my computer safe from malware and I can definitely point people in the right direction there.
There should be an IT section here. That way casual computer learners who want to use the tool more effectively, can do so from people here. If you want an advanced course we can tell you where to go. From basic level education to MIT level education, on any subject you're interested in. If it's free, it's for me. There are countless sources for free information. The only cost is your time and energy. If you want a free college level security education, hang out on hackthissite.org and haxme.org when it's running again. Haxme is better. They make you work harder at it. They won't straight up answer the question, they'll lead you too it and you have to make the leap.
There are guys and girls on here like me, who have a love for computer science and whom I'm sure can also answer questions. Leviathon is obviously a coder like me. From the way he blew through that puzzle. I'm assuming Gadgettastic is an engineer of some sort and has a good grasp of hardware.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

But where can I download free attack pigs? Wink
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Goldilocks wrote:
But where can I download free attack pigs? Wink

PETA.org
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:32 pm

hmmm. i've been wondering about making my location less detectable. unfortunately my computer doesn't have any personal or incriminating information on it.

if anyone does check ip addresses here and sees that i have used about 10 different ones and your wondering if i use a re-router, i don't, i actually literally sign in from different locations and different isp's.

and no im not wardriveing across the greater Chicago land area. i just roam allot
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 am

patchwork wrote:
hmmm. i've been wondering about making my location less detectable. unfortunately my computer doesn't have any personal or incriminating information on it.

if anyone does check ip addresses here and sees that i have used about 10 different ones and your wondering if i use a re-router, i don't, i actually literally sign in from different locations and different isp's.

and no im not wardriveing across the greater Chicago land area. i just roam allot

There are a number of ways to change your IP. Proxies are an easy way, but VPNs are better. A paid VPN is best. Never use a free one.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:33 am

VPN? Wouldn't a paid anything leave a trace?
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 am

JohnDoe wrote:
VPN? Wouldn't a paid anything leave a trace?

Depends on the VPN. A free one for sure, but a paid offshore VPN will take your secrets to the grave. That's why they make the money.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 pm

If you want to learn more about computers, I suggest a podcast, a lecture series from MIT and a new program called Code Academy. All three are free.

TechStuff and MIT: Introduction to Computer Science are both available for free download via iTunes. TechStuff is very very basic overviews of various computer and technology systems, from iPads to the Wii Remote to Nuclear Reactors.

MIT's lecture series is actually just filmed lectures for their class from a few years ago. It teaches basic Python and general programming concepts. It's 24 lectures total, each lecture is about 50 minutes in length. There is homework, quizzes and tests available as well.

Code Academy Article and Website

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can start your first, very basic programming lesson by following the link below:

Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 am

Zimmer wrote:
If you want to learn more about computers, I suggest a podcast, a lecture series from MIT and a new program called Code Academy. All three are free.

TechStuff and MIT: Introduction to Computer Science are both available for free download via iTunes. TechStuff is very very basic overviews of various computer and technology systems, from iPads to the Wii Remote to Nuclear Reactors.

MIT's lecture series is actually just filmed lectures for their class from a few years ago. It teaches basic Python and general programming concepts. It's 24 lectures total, each lecture is about 50 minutes in length. There is homework, quizzes and tests available as well.

Code Academy Article and Website

You can start your first, very basic programming lesson by following the link below:

Great info.
Back to top Go down
Red Falcon

Red Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am

My husband knows of these thing. I must learn to spy on him. Smile
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:13 am

Red Falcon wrote:
My husband knows of these thing. I must learn to spy on him. Smile

I know you're just joking, but if you ever want to keep a trace on what's being done on your computer use a keylooger. That's why the gods made them.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:40 am

Read reviews on a site like CNET if you're looking for software. Learn to use advanced settings in a lot of your most used programs, and if you screw it up, you can usually revert it to the default settings. Careful with keyloggers, usually the txt file they save everything to isnt encrypted. Lockdown your network too and check for unauthorized computers.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 am

Havoc wrote:
Read reviews on a site like CNET if you're looking for software. Learn to use advanced settings in a lot of your most used programs, and if you screw it up, you can usually revert it to the default settings. Careful with keyloggers, usually the txt file they save everything to isnt encrypted. Lockdown your network too and check for unauthorized computers.

Definitely read reviews as many as possible and if you use a software it never hurts to join a forum dedicated to it's use. They can help troubleshoot any difficulties. One major difficulty with a keylogger is that your antivirus will shit itself when you try and download it. This is a false positive reading, but it serves a greater good. Frankly, there are a number of ways to get the same information a keylogger provides without downloading extraneous software. If you take the time to learn them, you'll never need a keylogger. (I actually recommended a keylogger in a semijoking manner. It's the height of skivvery to use one.)
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 am

The Jinn, you and I would get along great in cyberspace.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Havoc wrote:
The Jinn, you and I would get along great in cyberspace.

Solidarity brother. Do you ever get on Reddit.com? Reddit has something for everyone. From NetSec and reversing to Gardening and Auto repair. You would probably fit in there.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 am

My buddy is trying to get me into Reddit, and I have another friend who posts regularly there, i like it but i still haven't fully caught on
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 am

Havoc wrote:
My buddy is trying to get me into Reddit, and I have another friend who posts regularly there, i like it but i still haven't fully caught on

It's my newspaper. Look into all the various subreddits and you'll be hooked. The good stuff is not on the front page. I got into it through Jimmyr.com.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am

The Jinn wrote:
The good stuff is not on the front page.
This man speaks the truth.
Back to top Go down
Red Falcon

Red Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:36 am

The Jinn wrote:
Havoc wrote:

Definitely read reviews as many as possible and if you use a software it never hurts to join a forum dedicated to it's use. They can help troubleshoot any difficulties. One major difficulty with a keylogger is that your antivirus will shit itself when you try and download it. This is a false positive reading, but it serves a greater good. Frankly, there are a number of ways to get the same information a keylogger provides without downloading extraneous software. If you take the time to learn them, you'll never need a keylogger. (I actually recommended a keylogger in a semijoking manner. It's the height of skivvery to use one.)

What are ways that do not make use of keyloggers? What is skivvery?
Back to top Go down
The Selkie

The Selkie

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

Are there ways to get around internet filters? My boyfriend said the government wants to make filters like they have in China. Why would they do that?
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

Red Falcon wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
Havoc wrote:

What are ways that do not make use of keyloggers? What is skivvery?

Skivvery is a highly insulting term that compares a nonhacker who is pretending to be a hacker to doo doo stains in underwear. It came from our friends in the UK at some point, but is now a generally used term world wide.

There are different ways to find out what someone is looking at even if they delete their History. It depends on what browser they're using. IE is the easiest one to do.

For IE:

Launch the Windows Explorer by
      going to "Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows
      Explorer," or go to "Start > Run" and type "explorer."

Show hidden files in your
      Windows Explorer by going to "Tools > Folder Options." On the "View"
      tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" then click the "Apply to all
      folders" button.

Navigate to "C:\Document and
      Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\History," where <USER> refers
      to the username you are using to log into the system. Check to see if
      the Internet History is there. If it's not there, then you have a few
      options. One is to use the Windows System Restore utility or find and
      view the index.dat file.

Choose System Restore if you are
      regularly backing up your system and are sure you have an up-to-date
      restore point. Do this by going to "Start > Help and Support," and
      under "Pick a Task" select "Undo changes to your computer with System
      Restore." Follow the on-screen instructions, then after your system
      reboots go back to Step 3 and check if the Internet history is back.

Look for the index.dat file if
      you do not have a valid restore point or if Step 4 fails. Launch the
      Search window by clicking "Start > Search." Select "All Files and
      Folders," then click "More Advanced Options" and choose "Search System
      Folders" and "Search Hidden Files and Folders." Type "index.dat" in the
      search field and click "Search." You will see a lot of index.dat files
      in the search results.

Download a third-party
      application to view your index.dat file. Look for an "index.dat reader."
      Once you have selected a program to view your file, install it on your
      machine and use it to open index.dat. You will then be able to see all
      the Internet history and browsing activities.

For Firefox or Chrome:

Run a System Restore and the History will often be restored as well. The effectiveness of this will depend on how often the person deletes their History. If they routinely delete their History then it's keylogger time. (You have to ask yourself, what are they trying to hide?)
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 am

The Selkie wrote:
Are there ways to get around internet filters? My boyfriend said the government wants to make filters like they have in China. Why would they do that?

It's actually so easy it makes the lawmakers look stupid. They pass garbage laws like this because they're prostitutes for the copyright industry.
Back to top Go down
The Selkie

The Selkie

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 am

The Jinn wrote:
The Selkie wrote:

It's actually so easy it makes the lawmakers look stupid. They pass garbage laws like this because they're prostitutes for the copyright industry.

lol prostitutes. Thank you for that information and for the history stuff. I'm totally using that on my bf's computer.
Back to top Go down
Havoc

Havoc

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

As much as I know, The Jinn makes me look useless lmao. Props on the SOPA awareness dude. I signed the petition for that and the ip act. If this shit passes its an all out war.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Havoc wrote:
As much as I know, The Jinn makes me look useless lmao. Props on the SOPA awareness dude. I signed the petition for that and the ip act. If this shit passes its an all out war.

I signed the petitions for what it's worth. If they pass this garbage ultimately, we'll just ignore it and carry on as usual. They're stupid laws won't effect anything of any importance. The can't censor anything unless we allow them to. For everything they can come up with, we'll already have anticipated it and coded our way around it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you want to know about computers.   If you want to know about computers. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

If you want to know about computers.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: