Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Peak Human"

Go down 
+9
Starman
Polarman
Gauge
Crimson Catalyst
The Jinn
Gadgetastic!
thanatos
Flora V. Arbor
Shade Gargoyle
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Equal

Equal

"Peak Human" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Everything has a price. If your body spend recourses maintaining a large muscle mass, the immune system weakens. If your immune system is stronger than normal, you'll handle diseases better, but suffer autoimmune diseases like rheumatism and stuff. If you eat healthy you are stronger and better, but you get less from workout, because your body can withstand more physical stress and don't need to improve much. Sleep less and you get more drive, but less impulse control. Sleep more you get better consentration, but less energy.

You get nothing for free. Every single biological system affects the others. To much of something give you less of something else. So peak human is a relative term. You'll have to chose, you can't be everything.

I don't belive anything can make me "peak human", just different. The only possibility of peakyness, as I understand it, is to find an acceptable balance that suits your way of living.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Nobody can be a peak human in every area (or even in one area, for most people), but I'm not sure your explanation of tradeoffs holds up. Physical health is synergistic.

Last edited by E0N on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed Konglish)
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 am

The definition of 'Peak' would mostly involve a concept in biology called homeostasis. Homeostasis is the "natural" state a biological organism strives to maintain. It can best be describe as a balance of systems resulting is perfect health. Unfortunately the body is a dumb animal so its various systems are constantly arguing over resources and priority. This is where the brain comes into it. Humans have the unique ability to over-rule a wide selection of biological drives such as the drive to consume and store calories for a rainy day. of course without considered control over this drive we would wind up eventually weighing so much we could not move resulting in a mass extinction. Fortunately, food tends to run away meaning animals, including humans, though in a more technologically advance fashion, have to chase it, thus burning stored calories. Rinse and repeat, as the saying goes. Another example is what happens when we suffer extreme cold. To conserve our basic life functions our body pulls heat into the core, sacrificing fingers and toes to preserve organ function. Not good in the long term, but that's homeostasis without control.

To be 'peak' therefore requires that we develop a true understanding of how our body works on every level, AND that we exercise systemic control over our homeostatic drives. In other words, listen to your body, but be ready to tell it to shut the hell up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 am

Well said, Gadgetastic! Smile

Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am

204, you said you tested your running skills and got up to 20 miles per hour at the age of 12. His did you manage to measure your speed while running from the "bunch of sadistic doctors"? Also, 20mph calculates to about a 10.2 second 100m dash, which would shame most Olympic level athletes, and you did this at 12 years old. It would seem that perhaps your perception of your speed was in error.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am

His did = how did
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm

There was a spedometer that measured how fast cars were going along the highway. The staff weren't right behind me, but I was running because I knew they were going to find me if I wasn't going as fast as I could, plus I was having an adrenaline rush. And like I said, I was about ninety pounds, and if you look at gymnasts and olympic atheltes they too are pretty small and light. Nowadays I probably couldn't do it again because I'm almost six foot and about 200 pounds, lol.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Okay. So you ran 20 miles per hour.

Props.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks. I would like to learn some techniques to improve my running. I know there are like special shoes or something like that to help aid running but I don't like using tools; not that I have anything agaisnt them, I just feel that if I used them it would be like cheating.

Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 am

Gauge wrote:
204, you said you tested your running skills and got up to 20 miles per hour at the age of 12. His did you manage to measure your speed while running from the "bunch of sadistic doctors"? Also, 20mph calculates to about a 10.2 second 100m dash, which would shame most Olympic level athletes, and you did this at 12 years old. It would seem that perhaps your perception of your speed was in error.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Gauge on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 am

I'm gonna go a step further and say his perception in general is off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 am

Lol, whatever. Can we stay on topic though? We're talking about the concpets of Peak Humans, not what your guys' opinions are of me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Peak Human"   "Peak Human" - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Peak Human"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: