Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.

Go down 
+11
Cornelius Brunner
Gauge
arrowdynamic
Legacy
Zombie
Polarman
Urban Avenger
hiddensparrow
Flora V. Arbor
Vulpo
Instructor
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

Added the FAQ:

Can you really learn martial arts from a website?

The short answer is yes you can. When you learn martial arts in a school you essentially watch the teacher and try to emulate his movements. Then the teacher watches you and corrects deficiency in your movements. In Hapkido you also grapple with an uke (partner). Hapkido Online requires a partner to learn. A skilled instructor can watch you and a partner training and see if the technique is correct. As you gain skill you will also begin to intuitively know if you are doing it correctly.

Is learning Martial Arts from a website easier than a brick and mortar school?

Emphatically no. Learning Martial Arts from a website requires greater self discipline than attending classes in a school. It also requires self integrity for only you know if you are actually practicing. A skilled instructor can usually spot somebody who isn't putting in the time though.

What advantages are there to learning from a website?

Well first off, you will get one on one instruction, albeit through the computer. In a traditional school the instructor might have to watch over some 10 to 30 students, it's hard to focus on each one. With a website I can watch your techniques and focus on them. You can watch my teaching over and over and focus on it, without distractions. The other advantages are it's great for people who have busy lives or people who move about from place to place. You can decide what time class is and where it will be held. You can take your teacher with you everywhere you go.

Can't somebody just fake it to pass the test?

First of all. We aren't here to get belts, we are here to learn Hapkido. If you just want to get a bunch of belts, go to your local strip mall and join a McDojo. If you want to learn something then you are in the right place. An instructor can spot somebody who isn't doing the techniques correctly, it's as plain as the nose on your face.

Is this cheaper than learning from a traditional Hapkido School? Is this inferior to a regular school?

Well I might be cheaper, some schools teach for free. I have taught people for free for years and years and so has my teacher, as a labor of love. The only reason Hapkido Online isn't completely free is it costs money to own and maintain. I can say that I've gone to great lengths to make it as affordable as possible. It is considerably cheaper than most traditional schools.

Hapkido Online is inferior to no one. Hapkido Online IS a regular school. In fact Instructor teaches people regularly in person. I would even say that Hapkido Online is better than 90% of the McDojo's out there. If you want to learn an effective martial art then this is a perfectly acceptable way to do it.

We have noticed over the years that teaching people for free and or very cheaply often gives people the impression that what we are teaching isn't as "Good" as the schools that charge $100 a month. It is only a perception though and is usually totally wrong. Our students are as skilled as anybody and often they are better. A school that relies on your money for income has them working for you, you are the boss. It's not in their best interest to say or do anything to upset you. Whereas Hapkido Online and our partner schools don't rely on your income, we don't work for you, you aren't the boss. We are the teacher, you are the student.

What do I need to buy to learn Hapkido?

Well, nothing really. I am not selling anything here. Modern schools sell crap to make money, it's their income. Historically all you need to learn Martial arts is a teacher and a student (you will need an uke). Don't waste your money on trappings, save it for more important things like your kids college. You obviously will need a computer and video camera. A good webcam would really be an asset. I assume that since you are reading this online you at least already have a computer. The other items are fairly affordable nowadays.

What about training clothing?

Our school traditionally requires a dobak to be purchased by the time of your first test. In the interest of making Hapkido training available to as many people as possible I have waived the requirement. Whatever clothes you normally exercise in are acceptable. If you do decide to purchase a dobak then the rule is you may only wear colors if you've earned that color on a belt. For example Instructor often wears a red top with black bottoms, since he has earned both of those belts it is acceptable.

What about a punching bag or padded targets?

These things can be useful to develop power and accuracy. We don't require them but they DO help. I suggest finding this stuff second hand at play it again sports or a similar place. In a pinch, an old military duffel bag filled with old washed clothes works fairly well. If you are a person of means, I am particularly fond of the water filled punching bags.

Can Hapkido be used for tournaments?

Hapkido is not a sport, it's a Martial Art devised to protect you against violent attack. If you want to learn sports than you should look for a good Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or MMA School. Incidentally the modern trend is for Martial Sport schools to tell people that what they teach can be used for self defense. It can be used that way but it's not ideal. For example a moped can be used to drive from coast to coast but wouldn't you rather take a plane? I do not mean to slight Martial Sports, they are fine if that's what you are looking for, Hapkido just doesn’t happen to be one of them.

Is Hapkido appropriate for children?

Teenagers and up please. Why? Would you teach a child how to break some bodies arm or choke them; how about how to shoot a handgun? Hapkido is a powerful weapon, it should be handled with care by responsible, mature people. Hapkido Online reserves the right to terminate memberships of any student that is found to be irresponsible, without refund.

Do you spar?

We do occasionally spar, the emphasis is not on scoring points though. The emphasis is on mastering range, power, speed, tactics, and strategy. If you choose to spar with your uke then both of you assume all risk of injury, Hapkido Online is not liable. Please take precautions such as protective gear and keep the emphasis on becoming better fighters and not on competition. Remember training injuries impede progress.

Does Hapkido have forms (hyung)?

Some schools do and some don't. Hapkido Online as yet is not teaching forms. If a student desires to learn forms he or she may ask to learn them and I would be happy to oblige but they are not part if the testable curriculum. To the best of my knowledge most 'Hapkido Forms' are actually borrowed from other martial arts. This is not uncommon in the martial arts world. For example many Tae Kwon Do hyung are derivative of Okinawan Karate katas. To some extent, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, a block is a block. It's how you do them that sets you apart.

Do you thing forms (hyung) are useful?

I do think they are useful actually and encourage people to learn them.

What about weapons?

Hapkido Online mostly focuses on how to defend against various modern weapons (knives, guns, clubs). If you want to learn swordplay or archery from horseback then you should look elsewhere.

How do I test?

You may visit a member school or send a video to us and we will review. You can also schedule a test in the digital Dojang and teacher and student can interact in real time. We focus on ability. If you can demonstrate the techniques and principles we teach you will be promoted. Upon passing the test you will be mailed a certificate. You can buy your own belt or send us money and we can buy one for you.

What if I've learned another martial art somewhere else, will you honor my rank?

Yes! In fact I prefer students that have some previous training as they often grasp the concepts more rapidly. I have had students that actually outrank me in other martial arts that just want to add to their arsenal of skills. We make room for everybody here.

What about people with disabilities?

I am willing to teach you if you are willing to learn. If your disability prevents you from doing certain techniques then we will substitute techniques that you CAN do. It is advisable to get the permission of a doctor first. My goal is to teach people Hapkido, we all have strengths and weaknesses, we will work within them.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Instructor wrote:
Added the FAQ:

Is Hapkido appropriate for children?

Teenagers and up please. Why? Would you teach a child how to break some bodies arm or choke them; how about how to shoot a handgun? Hapkido is a powerful weapon, it should be handled with care by responsible, mature people. Hapkido Online reserves the right to terminate memberships of any student that is found to be irresponsible, without refund.

Greetings Instructor,

Thank you for your contribution. Smile \/

However, might it not be more prudent to /not/ allow teenagers to join, since they are generally not known to be "responsible" nor "mature"?

Perhaps an older age requirement like 25+ might be a more suitable audience for this art.

Thanks again for your feedback,

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 am

Some teenagers are mature, some are not. As the Instructor I get to determine which students are ready and which need more time.

For what it's worth i've known adults I wouldn't teach because they displayed poor judgement.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

Hello Hapkido Friends,

First I would like to congratulate Tony for earning his Yellow Belt this week, great job Tony!

I just want to remind you all that I will be on leave all next week attending Master Tim's Hapkido conference in Tennessee. I hope in my absence you will continue to meet and practice.

Master Tim has been kind enough to let me film a host of new material with him for Hapkido Online so when I return I should be able to add loads of new content. I know we will all benefit from his wisdom.

We will have practice today 1530 - 1630 I hope to see you there. I regret that I am going to stop streaming the practice on the Digital Dojang. It seems the gyms Wi-Fi just isn't up to the challenge. The Digital Dojang will still be available to remote students via appointment. Simply send me an email and we will schedule a time to get together to conduct distance learning.

Very Respectfully,

Jon
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Hapkido Online is now fully recognized and affiliated with the Tactical Hapkido Alliance.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Hapkido Online Update and Tactical Hapkido Alliance   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am

Hi guys,

Last night I added video to the white belt section:

1. Video and tutorial for Side Kick [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. Video and tutorial for the hand techniques for white belt i.e. palm heel strike, ridge hand, knife hand, hammer fist, ox jaw, eagle beak. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry video progress has been slow. I find that I can teach or I can film but It's difficult to juggle both. Never fear, though I will persevere.

I recently attended the Tactical Hapkido Alliance Conference in Kingsport Tennessee, hosted by Master Tim Feathers. In attendance were many skilled hapkidokas from all over the country. We were taught many incredible techniques by Grand Master Rodemaker (founder THA) and Master Ziots.

It brings me great pride and joy to announce that Hapkido Online has joined the THA family. My 1st Dan belt was formally recognized at the conference and I was provided a membership to this awesome organization. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To show my thanks I have included THA membership into the price of Hapkido Online Yearly Membership, 3 Year Membership, and Hero 3 Year Membership. Now when you join Hapkido Online your training and belt rank will be honored at all THA member schools.

I've also added the THA DVD's and encyclopedia to the Hapkido Online store. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These are an invaluable resource. I am particularly fond of the encyclopedia as it has all the nuts and bolts of learning Hapkido written in such a way that it is easily understood and with illustrations.

You come to me for training, well I go to the Masters and Grand Master of THA for training, in my humble opinion they are some of the finest Hapkido teachers on the planet.

I would like to take a few minutes to thank Mr. Tony for attending my brick and mortar school here at Yorktown, Virginia and to wish him well as he heads out into the world. I hope he will continue to learn with us through Hapkido Online.

Mr. Scott will also be transferring soon and I wish him well on his future martial arts endeavors.

I encourage you both to seek out a THA member school: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and of course you both will always be welcome at Hapkido Online.

I would also like to welcome our newest student Mr. Matthew.

Well that's all I have for now.

Train Well and God Bless,

Instructor
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:51 am

Sweet!

TYSM for posting the vids!

Reminds me of my Tae Kwon Do training as a kid. Smile

Too bad I never got very far with it, though.

Cheers, Cool \/

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm not familiar with hapkido.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 am

Hapkido is a Korean Martial art that is equal parts grappling and striking. It shares lineage with Aikido through Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu. Hapkido features a plethora of punches, kicks, nerve strikes, joint locks, and pain submission holds.

It is not widely known to the general public, especially in North America, because it is rarely taught to children and though you see it in many movies nobody ever identifies it as Hapkido.

Hapkido is often the art of choice for people who work in Law Enforcement, Prison Workers, Sanitariums, Secret Service, Body Guards, and Special Forces. Many LEO's utilize moves from Hapkido but are not told it's Hapkido.

For example the Goose Neck technique is commonly taught to Police and it's Hapkido but they rarely are told that.

Hapkido is not flashy or beautiful but it is devastatingly effective. Kind of like the martial arts equivalent to a multi-tool.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 am

Oh by the way, welcome back UA, you were missed.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 pm

thanks. sorry, I'm not familiar with you.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]T

oday resumed filming Yellow Belt techniques. I added the spear hand to the yellow belt tutorials and a very nice human x-ray type graphic of the spear hand target area. The red areas are potential spear hand targets. Still much to do, but Hapkido Online is coming along.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Today I added Google search and translate functions to Hapkido Online. This should prove especially useful for those that do not have English as their first language. I wonder if a translator exist for my videos so my verbal instruction could be understood as well? Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Hey UA Im chillighted to see you back on here again
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:42 am

I have offered to let senior members of the IKSDA to hold teleconferences on the Digital Dojang. Kong Soo Do and Hapkido are close cousins, it should make for some interesting viewing. I created a calendar under the Digital Dojang link for the viewing schedule.

Hopefully the Digital Dojang will become a regular meeting place for serious martial artists to trade ideas and skills.

Yellow Belt filming and editing continues.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm

I would totally do that if I had any kind of room in my house, or a laptop. XD
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:43 pm

how much can we get done with the 15 second bits from the phones?
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 am

Zombie wrote:
I would totally do that if I had any kind of room in my house, or a laptop. XD

Space requirements for Hapkido are quite conservative. You literally just need enough room for two people to stand face to face at arm distance. Compared to say Tae Kwon Do where you have to do forms that can eat up a hundred square foot room, Hapkido is quite space efficient. It needs a much smaller footprint.

Computer requirements are pretty minimal. I know that the website works quite well on Android and I-Phone. I use a Palm Pre and unfortunately it doesn't work so hot on it. For those of you without the technology I might be willing to burn the Hapkido Online videos to DVD for you. Or you could always use the THA DVD's. They are quite good.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:38 am

Hello Hapkido Friends,

I just wanted to let you know that I've added a lot of new video to the yellow belt section. I am particularly proud of a little 'extra credit' clip we made of escapes from the Goose Neck technique. To my knowledge nothing like that exists on the web anyplace.

Also I've created a tutorial about how to use your hands to get maximum leverage for wrist locks which utilizes some in depth x-ray graphics of the hand. This has been one of the more difficult lessons to convey through the website because it relies largely on the 'feel' of things. In having to teach this difficult concept in this medium I've really had to explore it in ways that I never would have considered.

If anybody has suggestions on how Hapkido Online could serve us better I am always open to new ideas.

Finally, I have not heard from some of you in awhile and I would really appreciate it if you would check in. It's important that I track your progress. I am looking forward to seeing your video's. If some of you have moved on and would like to stop receiving updates, just let me know and I can remove you from the list.

I recently queried the martial arts supplier Tiger Claw ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) about sponsoring us. I have used their training equipment for years. In fact I have a set of kick targets that are twenty years old and we still use them three times a week! I have dobak (uniform) from them that are just as old and still serviceable. Tiger Claw is a Tennessee based company and a worthy partner. Pray that they decide to help out!

Well that is all for now. I hope all of you are practicing and really enjoying Hapkido!

Very Respectfully and God Bless,

Instructor

Founder of Hapkido Online

Member of the Tactical Hapkido Alliance

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:38 pm

The work continues. Yellow Belt is nearly complete, looking forward to starting work on High Yellow.

A couple of students bought memberships to Hapkido Online which has given me a much needed infusion of revenue. I am going to reinvest by purchasing high end 3D virtual human medical software to make my own custom graphics.

It's really starting to come together.

One of the folks that signed up is already at Master Level in another Martial Art and has nothing but good things to say so I must be doing something right.

Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:09 pm

this is awesome! thank you!
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 am

You are welcome. I am without uke for the next two weeks so filming is going to be a little slow. I still have tons of work to do......
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:02 am

Just to let you guys know, even though I haven't said much about it lately work on Hapkido Online is ongoing. We picked up or first international student this year and have added hours of training content and features.

I am very pleased with progress. We have tons of new stuff to look at and learn on the free side of the site too if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 am

Hapkido Online celebrates it's first birthday on the 7th of February. I've renewed our domain for a second year.

You can read more:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am

I dont really believe in online training...
But good for helping
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.   Want to Learn Martial Arts?  I am here to help you. - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Want to Learn Martial Arts? I am here to help you.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next