Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sixth Sense

Go down 
+7
Crossfire the Crusader
Equal
Anonyman
Polarman
Proteus
E0N (Inactive)
Blue Rattler
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:09 pm

After all the bashing ("unfairly" I might add) of a recent post, I thought I'd start a new one along the same vein.

# # #

I believe sixth sense, psychic signals, whatever you want to call them, are an important part of not only self defense, but life.

I'd love to hear some thoughts how some of you have practice/train your six sense (e.g. meditation, etc).

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:21 pm

For real?

I mean you don't actually intend this to be funny?

Eh. Okay. Good luck with your thread.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

It seems to me the tone of this thread is just screaming for a backlash. *shrugs*

If you are indeed looking for a straight up discussion, then here are my views:

Yes, I do believe that everyone possesses a certain degree of extra sensory perception, as can be demonstrated in daily life on a regular basis, i.e. knowing who's on the phone when it rings (without checking caller ID) knowing what a loved one is about to say before they say it, etc., etc. (yes, the second could be learned behavior, but then again...)

These are instances that the majority of the population have experienced, but I'm sure we all can agree they don't occur with any degree of frequency. It can't be turned on and off, and therefore I find it unreliable for use by the average person.

There are individuals who display greater levels of acuity in this area, and have been called upon to help police to solve murders and kidnappings and similar crimes, but I don't think there are any cases of anyone possessing a form of "Spidey sense" that they could rely upon in the field.

Can you practice/train these abilities? Yes, I suppose you could. People who display greater levels of ability with esp are always encouraged to explore it and see how far they can go with it, but the average person could meditate for years and never be able to tell how many wavy lines are on the card you're holding up.

It's pretty much a crap shoot. Those who have it can definitely flex their mental muscles and grow with it, and those who don't can always look forward to occasionally knowing not to answer the phone because it's creepy uncle Woodrow calling to ask for money...

Either way, I don't see how a sixth sense could be of any use to the average RLSH.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Proteus. I do mean this as a serious thread.

My thought is that humans have used intuition (raw instincts to common sense) a hell of a lot longer than rational thought and logic (reason).

Wisdom = reasoning and intuition

However, reasoning or intuition by themselves (without each other) are dangerous.

In this day and age, we seem to be losing intuition. I think we have to make a real effort to practice and improve it.

That's my question . . . how some of you all cultivate intuition.

It's not easy to do with all the distractions and noise in this world.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Polar-Sense Tingling Oh wiat Its late winter so I must be shivering from the cold

In all seriousness you mean like sensing ghosts like the movie The sixth Sense?
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Blue Rattler's post didnt appear until after I was posting my last one up sorry
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Ah, intuition.

It seems modern psychology is hard pressed to fully explain exactly what intuition really is. Is it genuinely a "sixth sense", or is it merely a firm understanding of how the world works?

If the latter, the best way to hone your intuitive skills is to literally get out there and experience life - interact with people and observe how they react in specific situations, observe the environment... literally live life to the fullest and remain observant of how it all works together.

If the former... well, I refer back to my first post.
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
After all the bashing ("unfairly" I might add) of a recent post, I thought I'd start a new one along the same vein.

That's very wise. If you notice that a group of people don't want to talk about something, keep bringing it up around them until they acknowledge it.

For example, I know a Jewish family, and one day I discovered that despite their overall intelligence, they refused to acknowledge the medical breakthroughs that came from the Nazis during the Holocaust. Realizing how foolish it was for them to choose to remain ignorant, I brought up the topic of Nazi human experimentation around them every time I saw them, until finally they relented and told me they accepted what I was saying as truth. They also banned me from their property, but it was all worth it in order to prove that I was right.

(Don't worry, I was probably being sarcastic.)

Please, Blue Rattler, tell me how "psychic signals" are an important part of self defence. If you make a good arguement, I'll apologize for being so cynical.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Zed,

To answer your question: In my opinion, the essence of self defense is self-protection and the prevention of danger.

To me, intuition, sixth sense, psychic signals, and gut feeling are all the same thing.

Maybe your gut tells you to avoid a certain person or situation. That is what I mean by intuition being an important part of self defense.

-- BR

Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Zed,

Haven't you ever had a 'what if' moment in your life?

One of those, "Man, that was crazy. If I had gone left rather than right, I could have been killed."

Some would call that luck. Others intuition. Some even the grace of God.

I think whatever it is, it plays a part in self perseverance.

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Holy crap! I'm not the only one that sees the validity in this!!

Anyway, I've been thinking about reason and intutiion, and I wondered if perhaps they are the same thing, onlty intuition is a super high degree of reason. Our brains take in of 10 million, (maybe billiuon, kinda lost count with all the zeroes) bits of infomration per second! But the average human cannot take it in all at once, and our senses filter it out and categorize everything. So, perhaps intution occurs when one is highly alert, and subtle cues drift in from one of the 10 million/billion bits of information, into the subconsious, and our conscious get's a glimpse of it,so that may be why we don't seem to be able to do it often, except for perhaps individuals that are super hypervigilant, and most likely had a lon withstanding past trauma, and that'swhy some people may appear to get "super powers" (I HATE that term by the way). So maybemankindis overthinking psionics by saying it's something supernatural, or intangible, when it reality it could very well just be an augmented form of the interaction between the conscious and subconscious minds working more in sync with one another? Just a theory.

As for honing it, I'd suggest first learn to meditate. Meditation isn't going to do crap towards getting your intuition up; what meditation does is it relxes you, and enables you mind to think more fluidly and calmly. Then I would suggest learning how to focus attention. Note, focusing is not the same as concentrating; with concentration, styain or effort is involved, and their should be none of that. What Focusing is, is opening your awareness and leaving your mind blank, and to notice everything around you as though you are seeing it for the first time, (at least that's how it is to me).

The following exercise is good towards developing focused attention. First, relax yourself, and sit in a comfortable position. Start counting "One, one, one..." until an intruding thought interupts you; at the intruding thought , start again with the next number "Two, two, two..." until another thought interupts you, then do the same and continue "Three, three, three" Now get a timer, a pencil, and a paper, and set the timer for three minutes. Start the exercise again, and stop when the timer rings. The ideal time would be "1/3" (You were able to say "One, one, one..." for three minutes with no interupting thoughts." The first time I tried this I got to eighteen within one minute! Needless to say, it takes practice; being able to hold your attention to a point is diffcult but it will definitely pay off towards developing your skills. Also, whenever you have a hunch or feeling, FOLLOW IT. (Unless following it could reap potentially bad consequences if you are wrong.

If anyone would like anymore tips, do, feel free to PM me. Smile

Thank you for expressing your interest in this, Blue Rattler. Smile

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

It's not trainable.

This is the sort of thing people who say it is trainable offer up: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Perhaps I'm cynical, but I don't find "Evoke, or awaken, our intuitive capacity, by identifying our personal intuitive messages" very helpful.

You may as well just say "trust yourself" and forget about it.

Addendum -- congrats on discovering Zen, 204.
Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 pm

I feel it is trainable; it has to do with the brain, and veryone can control their brain with practice. If you say you can't, then of course you won't be able to. The first step is believing you can do it, if you don't then don't bother.

P.S. I swear, I'm not trying to sell anything. lol Smile

Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks 204. I'm going to give meditation a try. No expectations . . . just the goal to have my mind quiet. Is that the basic goal right now?

Is there any special way you'd suggest sitting. Should I keep my eyes open or closed? How about breathing.

The way I figure it, Einstein, Edison, Mozart, Wordsworth, and Bruce Lee (to name a few) found some merit in meditation. There has to be something to it if these folks pursued it.

Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Zed Wolf wrote:
That's very wise. If you notice that a group of people don't want to talk about something, keep bringing it up around them until they acknowledge it.

See? I called it in my first post.

Quote :
It seems to me the tone of this thread is just screaming for a backlash. *shrugs*

So, was that me making a sixth sense prediction? Was that my intuition? Or was it just me making a good guess based on my experiences and knowledge of this forum?

That's the heart of this issue. What you are looking for is really the type of thing you learn with time and experience. In all honestly, calling it a psychic ability and thinking that it can be learned to use with any sort of regularity is basically just looking for a quick and easy fix.

I want to explain here that I do believe in psychic abilities, I have myself witnessed too many inexplicable things in my travels to dismiss the paranormal in any way shape or form. I do believe that the average person does indeed display occasional bursts of extra sensory perception, but I honestly believe that what you are talking about is nothing that can be developed or relied upon in any situation.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm

You know, just to stay on topic and stuff.

:/

Also.

Now I'll leave this thread alone until at least tomorrow... like I implied I would do after my first post on it.

:/
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Quote :
I have myself witnessed too many inexplicable things in my travels to dismiss the paranormal in any way shape or form. I do believe that the average person does indeed display occasional bursts of extra sensory perception, but I honestly believe that what you are talking about is nothing that can be developed or relied upon in any situation.

Would you mind sharing some of the things you've witnessed? I ask this seriously and out of curiosity.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm

I've experienced the value of effective perception, so I take this subject quite seriusly. It can be the difference between life and death. If you use your eyes instead of your gut when your walking down the street, you might get the possibility to counter instead of getting free transportation to the hospital.

I know there's a lot I don't know, but I find it more efficient to train useful skills than researching on stuff that possibly doesn't exsist. I'm sure I'd use less time training for lifting a small car with pure physical strenght than anybody else training to lift a pencil with mental strenght.

Learn to use the five senses that's allready evident effectivly. You can get a lot of information from hearing, sight, toutch, smell and taste. If you start sensing with something that can't be relied on to not be a 100% result of your imagination, you'll do nothing but distort your perception.
Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Lol, that's my theme song, (Where Is My Mind), only I like the versioan played by Emily Browning.

Anyway, perhaps I should reword it, you're not training psionics so to speak, your developing them. Like doing Claisthenics develops muscles. Your brain is no different.

@Blue Rattler: For meditation, I wouldn't advise doing any special posture. I personally just sit in my bed comfortable with my back erect against the wall; I lay my hands comfrotably on my thighs, and I breath in my nose for a count of ten, (if you find a count of ten too strenuaous, then start with five, or whatever number you feel most comfortable with) Then I hold it for a few seconds, (usually five or so), and then I exhale through my mouth, visualizing intrusive thoughts flowing out and drifting away. My goal when mediatating is to clear my mind, relax, and ponder who I am, who I can be, and what my destiny is. Some people find soothing music helpful. Some light candles, for a more spiritual feel. And still some, just reflect on what it is that may be bothering them and try to find a peaceful conclusion. Meditation isn't something that should be forced or require much effort; you should be able to mediate anywhere, at any time, and it showed flow naturally.

A good example/exercise is as follows, and is an excerpt from "Meditation 24/7" by Camille Maurine, and Lorin Roche, PH.D.

WAIT UP PRACTICE

When [to do it]: Anytime you are in a waiting mode.

Where: In a lobby, airport, store, at the park, or as a passenger in a car, plane, or train. [Pretty much anywhere]

Position: Standing or Sitting

Time: 3 to 5 Minutes.

First, orient yourself to the physical surroundings. Find a place that seems like your spot for now, somewhat like a dog circling before plunking down.

Notice your location, your body, in this room, this building, and this part of the city. Within this larger context, you are simply present. You see th swirl of movement around you, you hear the sounds, but you are centered in yourself. You don't have to do or be anything special right now.

Sitting or standing comfortably, sense your own body. Notice what your breath feels like, the motion of inhaling and exhaling. With each breath, you become more aware of yourself. Become aware of the outline of your body, the container of your skin, and the sense of of being inside your own skin.

Now simply notice the grounf beneath your feet. Feel your weight as you sit or stand. You are resting inside your skin, resting in gravity. Sink into the support of the ground. Here you are at this spot on the planet.

Say to yourself, "Breathing in, I'm refreeshed. Breathing out, I'm relieved. I feel my skin. I feel my feet in contact with the ground."

On page 78, it talks a bit about the practice, and the following really stuck ouf for me, and when I tried this exercise I desired to be in this state of being at all times; it is incredibly relaxing and enlightening. This is what struck me most, "Many of the sensations in which we find ourselves waiting are actually nexus points where th streams of human activity intersect. At an airport, for example, people from all over the world happen to convene at this particular place and time. Each traveler represents a wealth of experience--a culture, a family, a way of life. Each heart pulses with it's private sorrows, joys, and dreams. Occasionally our eyes meet, a smile is exchanged, something of the soul is shared."

Basically you can meditate anywhere at anytime. I once meditated in the middle of a fight, lol. It shouldn't be something that requires effort, or intense concentration. It should be like water, (Ooo, another good book is "Be Like Water" by Joseph Cardillo). Anyway, I hope this helps! Smile

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Equal wrote:
I've experienced the value of effective perception, so I take this subject quite seriusly. It can be the difference between life and death. If you use your eyes instead of your gut when your walking down the street, you might get the possibility to counter instead of getting free transportation to the hospital.

I know there's a lot I don't know, but I find it more efficient to train useful skills than researching on stuff that possibly doesn't exsist. I'm sure I'd use less time training for lifting a small car with pure physical strenght than anybody else training to lift a pencil with mental strenght.

Learn to use the five senses that's allready evident effectivly. You can get a lot of information from hearing, sight, toutch, smell and taste. If you start sensing with something that can't be relied on to not be a 100% result of your imagination, you'll do nothing but distort your perception.

This is precisely why I stress the imprtance of balance. To train all three aspects of yourself, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Most people only train physically, and few train mentally, and hardly anyone puts effort into training spirituality. Most people confuse spitiuality for religion, but the two ar enot the same. I personally feel religion gets in the way of spirituality due to excessive dogma, and laws. (Just my opinion, not saying it's right or wrong). Balance is cruscial in training. Just how you wouldn't only train your arms when training physically, you should only train some of your being, and not others, you should train everything about yourself, and become better than you are today. Training, also, is not a finite thing. You don't train to a certain point, stop, and say "I'm ready." You should always train, everyday, for the rest of your life, and even after you die there will still have been other things to learn, so by training as much as you can, you can get more out of life, and be a better human being, than you were the previous day, month, year, decade, whatever. Thanks for the feedback! Smile

Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:32 pm

@ Blue Rattler: I've done a fair share of paranormal investigating over the years (amateur), which includes interviewing a few individuals claiming to have "psychic abilities". I'd personally rather not go into specifics about the things I've witnessed due to the sensitive nature of the subject matter. It ain't everyone's cup-o-tea.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 am

A great portion of intuition IMHO is merely the subconscious mind recognizing things that we are observing but not consciously acknowledging. Those parts of our mind process things that we "miss" and then poke our conscious mind and say "HEY! Wake up dude!" which we percieve as de-javu or some similar experience.

As for the supernatural...thats a different subject...and cannot IMHO be explained in one simple answer...nor do I wish to get into it.

Same for paranormal, mystical, and miraculous.

And I honestly feel most cases of extrasensory perception can be explained by any watcher of PSYCHE...It just observation and deduction...and if it were proveable then the Amazing Randi would have paid out his million dollar reward years ago instead of debunking hundreds of so called psychics.

If you want to train your perception...work on the senses you already have and learn to notice things you never did before. Blindfold yourself and notice what you hear or smell. Plug your ears and notice what you see. Use your hands to observe the textures of objects. Try to consciously not the wind direction and temperature. Note the position of the sun at different times of day. Eventually you will consciously do things that other people will see as miraculous simply because you are more observant.

Furthermore, take the time to watch people. Find a safe place to set and watch them as the walk by. Talk to people when you can. Learn how they act and react. Learn to identify mannerisms. Learn to identify their "tells" like a poker player. Recognizing the ways people communicate is the key to being a good poker player, salesman, counselor, or - in this case - superhero.

AND...take the time to study yourself. Find your weaknesses and strengthen them. Find your temptations and learn to control them instead of them controllng you. Find your strengths and work on makeing them stronger. Read as much as possible and fill your mind with more and more knowledge. Mix up what you read so that you get plenty of resource material to draw on and plenty of fiction to stimulate your creativity.

And when someone tells you something is impossible...look for a new direction to MAKE it possible.

There's my $.02 worth on this.
Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:46 am

Thanks for the feedback, Crossfire! Smile

Yeah, I am not trying to say that psionics is unexplaianable; I am a man of science, and so I believe there must be a logical explanation, but maninstream science have yet to discover it. I too am leaning towards the theory that it's our subconscious sending us a message. Like I stated before, the brain perceives millions of bits of information per second, so it's not that hard to believe that are subconscious can categorize events and tell what is about to happen based upon a miniscule amount of information, much like a master of chess can predict and plan hours ahead in the future and come out victorius.

So yes, I do believe there is a logical explaination for it, which is why I feel so upset when people accuse me of claiming super powers, when in actuality it's a very nastural, trainable aspect of being human. Thanks again for the feedback! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:51 am

Try reading Sherlock Holmes...The methods he uses in the stories are often percieved as "magical" until the simple explanation is given...and then it seems obvious.

I know its fiction...but its probably the first written explanation of basic forensics as well...I've read all of the Holmes mysteries at least a dozen times and never fail to learn something from them.
Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am

I love those stories too!

Yeah, the only reason I use the term "psionics" is because there isn't a term I know of for "Messages-from-your-subconscious-sent-to-your-conscious-to-help-you-deduce-something-and/or-preserve-yourself-when-needed-without-any-known-scientific-explanation-to-do-so" lol. When I refer to my intuition, ESP, psychic signals; whatever you wanna call it, I call it "the Sense" because that's exactly what it is for me; a sense that something isn't quite right, and that I should persue another direction to preserve myself and/or others. It's not liek I get some "vision" like in the movies, it's just a buzzing in the back of my mind that's like a warning sign. When it happens, I usually do a quick meditation practice, to heighten my awareness of my surroundings, and then I proceed to act accordingly to whatever happens next. I've taken notes, and it seems to be that when I get the Sense, whatever bad thing is about to happen often happens within the next 10-15 minutes. I'm sure this is different for everyone, so in order to understand it better I encourage people to try and study it themselves. Chart down anything that could be of significance; weather, your mood, time of day, moon cycles, etc etc. I do believe it's a scietific phenmenon and nothing supernatural or mystical about it. Thanks for the feedback! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sixth Sense Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense   Sixth Sense Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: