Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?

Go down 
+48
Basilisk
GreyWolf
themarine
Kenpo1
The Peace
Taijibum
whitewing
Dr Z
Bat-Hawk
JohnP
blueguardian
Delta_RLSH
Loco
New Here
qshot789
Anyman
ProfessorProletariat
Shadow Cat
nightmare
arrowdynamic
Providence (The Brave One
Dark Inferno
Archimedes
Wolfe
Rook
Nintyplayer
Amphiptere
Prof. Midnight
Cassiopeia
The Reverend
firelight
Equal
Bandit
Vagabond
Vulpo
Stephen Hannaway
rennora phoenix
Havoc
Polarman
Amazonia
Urban Avenger
JCElite
Gauge
Flora V. Arbor
hiddensparrow
Jack Shadow
Instructor
Blue Rattler
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:21 pm

that would be pretty awesome, do you think they would keep it traditional or do you think they are trying to get MMA into the Olympics under the old name?  Though from what I can tell there isn't a lot of difference between it and MMA.  I'll have to look up the show you are talking about and check it out.
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:01 pm

In traditional Pankration, there were three ways to end a match

Unconciousness

Broken bone

Death

Other than that, the only rules were no biting or eye gouging. Everything else was fair. Its a little more extreme than mma
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:04 pm

yes but they would never allow that these days do you think they would just go with the modern tap out pass out knock out  methods?  I mean essentially in order to make it an event they would essentially have to dumb it down to MMA standards
Back to top Go down
GreyWolf

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Here's an ok introductory explanation. Short and quick. You can see some of the simple, effective grappling and groundwork.

Won't let me post links.... Human weapon Pankration on YouTube, or Terry Schappert Pankration will both get you good ideas
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 pm

sweet I'll check it out
Back to top Go down
Basilisk

Basilisk

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:51 pm

I practice on a standing bag.  I do a lot of Krav Maga, MMA, wrestling, grappling, gun disarming, street fighting techniques, using a cane as a weapon (see the French martial art in the History Channel's Human Weapon, Season One on DVD), and role situations so I can be at the top of my game.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:46 pm

ninjutsu. . .or taijutsu. . .depending on when you learned about it. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 am

DC! Welcome back! Great to see some of the old guys back on here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:17 am

Every day brings surprises. D.C., since you train in taijutsu, perhaps you could provide some first-hand experience with how effective it is?
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:54 pm

anyman. . .while deployed in Iraq. . .i was on a multi national base. . .not all roses and champagne. . .walking back one night after sundown. . .i was cornered by a couple of individuals. . .my training was the type to let me comfortably confront them in what i was wearing and in the terrain i was faced with. . .it isn't about being able to fight multiple individuals. . .or being the king of the hill. . .its about seeing what is there. . .what is available and knowing how to use it without hesitation. . .and what you should and shouldn't do in a given situation. . .i have trained with people in taijutsu that have been handicaped. . .with broken arms and legs. . .without it having to be watered down because of the disability. . .i've spared with seventy year olds that have kicked my behind. . .my training was conducted on hills. . .pavement. . .between cars. . .under trees. . .and situational awareness. . .being able to walk down a street. . .a bar. . .or a mall and seeing what can become dangerous. . .and what is not. . .no martial art is for everyone. . .it works for me. . .and it's been proven at least to me. . .
Back to top Go down
The Great Pumpkin

The Great Pumpkin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 pm

I have wrestled, boxed, tkd'd, kali and a little mbc2 and I'm about to get my jits on at the new place(bjj)

Leads me to a question, does anyone here think taking kali along with mbc2 is redundant? Does Bram Frank actually teach you things you wouldn't otherwise learn in kali?
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 pm

You can never train too many styles. Carl Cestari kept a library of material on other martial arts, and constantly updated his style, based on what he could take from any of them that was particularly useful and lacking in his own style. Whatever works is the best style, hands down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Well I've dabbled here and there. A little Ti Kwon Do, some small bit of Aikido, a little bit of boxing/kick boxing. I'm self trained in long staff. I have formal training in rapier, greatswords, spears and a few other types of medieval weaponry. And am currently training myself in the use of katana.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:09 am

Aikido has some interesting sword techniques. They mostly use it as a training method for the unarmed stuff, some of the throws are very similar to sword strokes.

Ever read any of the Japanese classics, like Book of Five Rings, or The Mind And The Sword?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:43 am

Honestly I've only heard of the book of five rings. Never read it before. Really want to. As for the Mind and The Swordsman I've never even heard of that one before.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 am

The Mind And The Sword is by another guy who studied under the same Zen master as Musashi, Takuan. Actually, Takuan's book, The Unfettered Mind is good too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 am

I'll have to look all three up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:22 pm

I have the Book of Five Rings, the Hagakure and the Shoninki. Few others that are more modernized.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Taekwondo
Muay Thai
Shorin-Ryu Karate
Jiujitsu 

and weapons training with escrima nunchucks bo staff and edged weapons mostly knives and the karambit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? - Page 7 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7