Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?

Go down 
+33
Crossfire the Crusader
SkyMan
JohnDoe
Superhuman
dcguardian
The Ambassador
Midnite Detective
Mister
Shield Mongoose
Lost Prophet
Dark Patriot
Overwatch
patchwork
Alastor
Gauge
Gadgetastic!
Reiki Ninja
Fear
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Atavistik
Alchemist
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
Un-named_Hero
Equal
Flora V. Arbor
Prof. Midnight
The Grey Man
The Samaritan
Entomo
The Eye
Dark Guardian
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Atavistik

Atavistik

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 am

June 25-26 are the actual event dates. not sure what ours are right now
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 pm

EON,
see the back foot in your avatar?

That angle of foot does these things:
1. removes the actions of your largest muscles
and the muscles that control your foot and ankle

2. gravity being a constant, your foot is in the
"Sprained Ankle" Postion

3. Your knee is getting a big dose of gravity on it's inside

Your knees etc don't give a stinking damn about "Tradition".

Turn your foot exactly straight so that momma doesn't worry so much, please
Back to top Go down
Lost Prophet

Lost Prophet

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 am

You're in Monterey, Eon? Nice, I'm only a couple hours away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Read the "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" and you'll find the answer.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Cool... Lost Prophet, we should hook up sometime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Dark Patriot wrote:
Just a note. Take into account that when you study a style, that no matter what, there will be weapons in that fight, the ones YOU are carrying!. IFor that reason, I dont rely on MACP for initial contact, I'll strike first with a medium range technique if possible (punch, kick, ASP, etc) MACP is GREAT if I get taken to the ground, but I dont want to get that close if I dont have too.

good points, sir!

Bruce Lee said to always use your farther weapons
and
heckya for staying off of the ground!

The Discovery Channel did a measure of punches.
'Straight on' is about 500 pounds.
With the ground preventing the waivering of the watery human bod,
a punch to someone on the ground is about 2000 pounds
According to the book Bruce "wrote" it says: "Because of their advanced position, your leading foot and hand constitute at least 80 percent of all kicking and striking (they are halfway to the target before starting)." Which means to use your closest "weapons" when fighting someone because it is quicker.But you don't get as much power from those either though.

Last edited by The_Shadow on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:31 pm

The original "Green Hornet"
was on this week.
I taped it on VHS.

It is shocking to watch Mr. Lee
"driving miss daisy"!!!!
but awesome to watch him in action again!
Back to top Go down
Shield Mongoose

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:09 am

I vouch for Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. BJJ especially, considering how readily a fight will go to the ground.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:42 am

I still vote for Aikido.
Back to top Go down
Mister

Mister

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Though this is unobtainable unless you live in the MA area, the martial arts that I took would be perfect. It was called Eclectic Karate (if you wanted to look it up) and is a mixed martial arts. It had almost everything you would want with some more modern things thrown in (seeing how it is a 'custom' martial arts style).
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm

You guys ever hear of Jail House Rock? No joking. It is a prison-style fighting, and you may encounter it on the street.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

yes, i've heard of it.
supposed to involve tight, close quarters fighting, kung fu blocks, and using the enclosed space as a weapon: using the walls to add force to your hits or ramming an enemy into them.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Jesus there's even a wiki on it now. Wasn't there a few years ago. lol
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Shield Mongoose wrote:
I vouch for Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. BJJ especially, considering how readily a fight will go to the ground.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a devestating style one on one but you wouldn't want to get into a lengthy rolling around on the ground session if you were dealing with multiple attackers. I am not saying that it isn't good and doesn't have its uses but you should plan for the worst. People only attack when they think they can win and if they travel in a group they generally have an edge.
Back to top Go down
The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Ok... Wow... Good question... Different Martial arts are intended for different things. I have to agree with G about the animal styles and wish I could afford the time/ money for trainign. However as a person considering alll angles I would say though Krav Maga is great it is not taught for self defense. It is taught to take down your opponent plain and simple, if that is your goal than do that... When concidering the reputation and tenets of what I think RLSH is about I would think Aikido or something more wholly defensive like that would be the best. Most attackers can't last. What your aim is to keep yourself safe while engaging an attacker. So Judo and Aikido combination would be penultimate I should think as they are very low damage and they are both made to take on any size opponents, and they are both made to be practiced and work fluidly for any size defender.

A lethal art like Krav, or a bone breaking art is likely to just get you sued, or jail time that much faster. Wearing someone out and tossing them to the ground however...
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 pm

any art can be devestating. . .that's probably one reason it's still around. . .but no matter how good you are. . .there will always be the chance you will come across someone better or luckier than you. . .most people. . .regardless of what art they study. . .stop at a certain point. . .and that is where they fail when it comes down to crunch time. . .if you are not continually studying or training. . .you will not be able to use the art of choice to its best advantage. . .no art can outrun a .45. . .but learning what an art has to offer may help you not be put in the situation to begin with. . .martial arts is a tool. . .nothing more. . .in any conflict. . .you may not have the ability to use that tool. . .or it may end up being the wrong tool for the job at hand. . .most martial arts. . .and this goes across the board. . .most martial arts teach the idea that if you are having to use it. . .you have already failed at some point. . .and yes. . .there are times when it must be used. . .but only when needed. . .and not as the first few choices. . .learn many different ways to handle violence. . .but don't forget to learn more important ways to limit the appearance of violence in your confrontations. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 pm

The Ambassador wrote:
A lethal art like Krav, or a bone breaking art is likely to just get you sued, or jail time that much faster. Wearing someone out and tossing them to the ground however...
A real street fight is not like the movies. Training some fancy martial art is not a "I win" card. You face people who might be stronger, faster and more agressive than you. If you are worried about hurting them, you have allready lost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Well said Dogman

while your worried about hurting him he's imagining the ways to kick your ass
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Krav Maga hands down, Although once again Dogman is right!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

I have seen no martial art I prefer to Hapkido. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Eon: In what part of California do you live?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Monterey. It's in North Central CA, a few hours South of SF.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:23 pm

A martial art developed by the guys in prison... and its called Jailhouse Rock?!? Just when I think Ive heard it all!

Back to the topic
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Jailhouse Rock is pretty badass. Parts are also pretty damn terrain specific.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 pm

The Ambassador wrote:
Ok... Wow... Good question... Different Martial arts are intended for different things. I have to agree with G about the animal styles and wish I could afford the time/ money for trainign. However as a person considering alll angles I would say though Krav Maga is great it is not taught for self defense. It is taught to take down your opponent plain and simple, if that is your goal than do that... When concidering the reputation and tenets of what I think RLSH is about I would think Aikido or something more wholly defensive like that would be the best. Most attackers can't last. What your aim is to keep yourself safe while engaging an attacker. So Judo and Aikido combination would be penultimate I should think as they are very low damage and they are both made to take on any size opponents, and they are both made to be practiced and work fluidly for any size defender.

yassir
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 8 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next