Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dealing with alot of heat

Go down 
+12
Superman
Instructor
Amazonia
Flora V. Arbor
Vulpo
DarkShadow
Kaiju
the crimson fist
adamm[]
Urban Avenger
Leviathan
Polarman
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Dealing with alot of heat Empty
PostSubject: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Right now the snow here is mostly gone The creeks and rivers are melting fast

Im wondering how you guys down south deal with the heat Ive heard you guys in some areas get up to plus 90 where Im facing temps of around plus 30 to 50 up here

Im drinking alot of juice water ice tea milk and milk products Now Im looking at what I have on and its light compared to what alot of you are wearing however I dont have body armor and Im wearing short sleeves in bright colors of white The maskIm looking to have made for me is smaller in the summer time than the one I wear in winter because it doesnt cover my whole head but looks like Hazmat's design The topless cowl with the eye mask under it

Also I dont have the advantage of going out at night because we right now have about 2 hours of dusk before it becomes light again In about 4 weeks time we could have 24 hour daylight which could last for up to 4 weeks We also have another problem Spring is also Rabies alert season so everyone up here is on their guard watching both children and pets in case of foxes or other animals including dogs which may carry the disease and we have had encounters in the last few years including a Polar bear that tried to attack a group of school children who were on an outing in the Syllvia Grinnel Park area That bear which was killed by the park rangers has scince been skinned and its fur and skin is tretched out in the lobby of the school as a reminder of how dangerous animals can be and it doesnt matter if the animal is sick or not Alot of us are wearing sun glasses and sun goggles to protect our eyes from the glare of the sun and from snow blindness especially while traveling out onto the sea ice to catch fish and seals
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Water with 1% salt,B3, B6, B12 and Biotin.

Milk is kind of a bad thing because of the fatty content, it's more of a food than a liquid (like drinking blood from a deer in case there's no water nearby)

Lighter clothing, both in thickness and color help.

As for the animals, I suggest a can of bear mace and a baseball bat... Errr.... Netgun...
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 3:40 pm

uh.. don't dress like polarman.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 4:42 pm

lemonade or limeade. it has salts and sugars that helps you when u sweat. 30 50 degree weather to me is just plain pair of pants, a thermal long sleeve t shirt and sweater, and as always i carry around my hat incase the wind picks up.

when i saw this post i was gonna reply "move to alaska" but your already up there, so now i feel like a dumb@$$.

are you getting heat exhaustion from 50 degrees? Dress in layers, dont overwork yourself because if ya start sweating and body temp goes up it gets trapped inside your clothing and it makes it even hotter, then you take off layers but get too cold because of the sweat.

Like levi said, dont drink milk in hot weather. That OH so hot 50 degrees HELP ME IM MELTING!!!!
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 pm

He's Polarman. Of all the things he says he eats, Milk is the last thing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Actually, I drank strawberry milk on a hot summer dusk patrol once despite all the advice I got not to. I was completely fine afterward. So, yeah, he may actually be fine with milk.

Besides, as Crimson Fist said, Polarman is used to eating and drinking some strange food combinations. I think his stomach has been trained to handle milk in hot weather.

As for how I keep cool in the summer......well, I dunno. I usually do alright as long as I wear short sleeves. I also wear sunscreen if I'm going to out for a long period of time during the day, but summers here in Michigan get a lot warmer than they do up there.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Gatorade solves the problem for me usually.

DarkShadow out
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Where I live, it gets up to 110 at the hottest of times, and generally between 80 and 100 during the summer overall.
I deal with it by having an air conditioner.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 pm

adamm[] wrote:
lemonade or limeade. it has salts and sugars that helps you when u sweat. 30 50 degree weather to me is just plain pair of pants, a thermal long sleeve t shirt and sweater, and as always i carry around my hat incase the wind picks up.

when i saw this post i was gonna reply "move to alaska" but your already up there, so now i feel like a dumb@$$.

are you getting heat exhaustion from 50 degrees? Dress in layers, dont overwork yourself because if ya start sweating and body temp goes up it gets trapped inside your clothing and it makes it even hotter, then you take off layers but get too cold because of the sweat.

Like levi said, dont drink milk in hot weather. That OH so hot 50 degrees HELP ME IM MELTING!!!!

He meant Celsius not Fahrenheit. I checked the wiki page for Iqaluit. It gets somewhere around 75f during July, with a record high of 78.4f yearly.

And he's north of Alaska Shocked
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 11:57 pm

4 day forecast for Iqaluit this week

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] --- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] --- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] --- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tonight -5c Tuesday 0c Wednesday -3c Thursday -1c

Tell ya what, if you get tired of that stuff, just get a place down here. You can call yourself Captain Sunshine or something Laughing No shoveling required and it hasn't snowed here since the day before Carter was sworn in (aka, the day hell froze over)
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 4:02 pm

oh damn 75 degrees, pair of shorts, no shoes, no shirt.

but im assuming thats pretty hot for alaska, people are prolly going into shock and the environment will too Sad
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm

adamm[] wrote:
oh damn 75 degrees, pair of shorts, no shoes, no shirt.

but im assuming thats pretty hot for alaska, people are prolly going into shock and the environment will too Sad

He's not in Alaska. He's in Canada, and in a part of Canada that's north of Alaska. A map just to give you a general idea:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alaska is hot for where he's at.
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Wait wait wait......

It gets THAT hot up there in the summer?!?!

Wow.....I take back all the times I've said I could never survive a visit up there Shocked
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm

i think this is a rather hot for the norm, no? i always imagined it being freezing near all year round.

and thank you for the geography Very Happy:D:D is that white land mass alaska?
Back to top Go down
Kaiju

Kaiju

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Pretty sure that would be Greenland.

And it being constantly cold all year round in Alaska/Northern Canada is a common misconception.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 pm

adamm[] wrote:
i think this is a rather hot for the norm, no? i always imagined it being freezing near all year round.

Ironically, that is Greenland. The mass on the west coast with the curved cape of islands is Alaska. Don't you have geography in school anymore?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 am

Leviathan wrote:
adamm[] wrote:

Ironically, that is Greenland. The mass on the west coast with the curved cape of islands is Alaska. Don't you have geography in school anymore?
Most people I meet in real life don't know their geography, doesn't usually happen so much on the internet though.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 am

water water water water and fan fan fan fan
Back to top Go down
Amazonia

Amazonia

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 am

For me, I hate the hot weather and I'm in one of the hottest most humid states and hate it. I thrive when it's below 60F. Oh and I wear shorts and t-shirt up till it gets around 40F even when I use to live in Boston. Then I would take out my turtle neck and pants and patrol.

For here, I do what Flora says, water water water water and more water. I on average drink about 15 to 16 glasses a day. No cow milk either, I drink soy or almond milk and how no problem with the heat.

For patrolling here, my typical tank top and lightweight pants. Though I do have leather, but would die in it.

Alaska doesn't get that cold. I lived there for about 3 years and the only time I was cold was about -45F with the wind chill. Good times I had there.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 8:32 am

When I was patrolling down south I utilized spandex and other lightweight fabrics in my costume. Goggles never worked out too well, they fogged up in the heat and were generally more trouble than they were worth.

I never seemed to bring enough water along for myself till one day I went ahead and added a camel bag to the suite, that helped. It cut down on what I could bring for the homeless though. I used to fill it with ice and by the end of the night it was tepid.

If it got over 90 degrees I patrolled in my car with the AC on.

I don't know how people can walk by homeless in those conditions and not want to hand them water bottles.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

Double Helix wrote:
Leviathan wrote:
adamm[] wrote:

Most people I meet in real life don't know their geography, doesn't usually happen so much on the internet though.

it was a joke. i was hoping for a few laughs. I have the animaniacs all 50 states song Favorited on my youtube! Pinky and teh Brains "Brain antomy" one is cool too. ive googled up and down all kinds of phrases for anatomy of the brain and as im surfing through youtube i stumble apon the brains anatomy song and it has more parts than any website i can find.

i study lots of random things, Spanish, european geography, mythology+history, animal tracks/scat/markings, wild edibles, fire starting, wilderness survival, trees and shrubs identification, meteorology, astronomy, human anatomy. Im just a pathological dumbass Sad
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 11:50 am

Joke's on me. I thought for a second you were another victim of the failed "egumicashunul sistum" in this once great country.

Well, at least you didn't declare we have fifty-seven states in the union.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 12:50 pm

The white spot in the pic that Levithian posted up is actually Greenland You cant get much further than that without reaching the North Pole HO HO HO!

The difference between Nunavut and Alaska is that In Nunavut we are still Canadaians but in Alaska which is north of BC where Thanatos lives you are Americans and you guys have all the trees
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Leviathan wrote:
Well, at least you didn't declare we have fifty-seven states in the union.

//sarcasm
There are 63 states, each state is represented by a star or stripe on the american flag
//endsarcasm

and yes our schools are crap. everyone i know from overseas graduates college at the age of 20 with a bachelors degree in something, they can speak 2 sometimes 3 or 4 languges and know more about everything they study than we do.

i had a reading assignment for english over one of the vacations. 3 people read the book, so instead of failing everyone who didnt read the book, we just read it in class. Moral of the story, if EVERYONE fails, then Everyone wins!!
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1Wed May 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Beside liquids for hydration I highly recommend a zip lock bag of ice in the small of the back just above your tailbone. I had a pouch pocket for mine from when I used to do mascot duty like the grimace and the hams beer bear. There’s a nerve juncture there and if it is cooled off you don’t feel the heat nearly as much. The reason I choose Ice over a cold pack is that you can get new crushed ice most anywhere on your route cheaply and disposal of what’s melted, namely water, is no ecological threat.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with alot of heat   Dealing with alot of heat Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dealing with alot of heat
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next