Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Survival

Go down 
+10
Polarman
Flora V. Arbor
Instructor
Equal
Urban Avenger
Gauge
The Reverend
Idea Man
E0N (Inactive)
Zombie
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Zombie

Zombie

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am

@UA. Sorrry dude I tried to be nice.

@EON. Have you had your own MRE before? This all looks pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am

A good survival kit is something you open from time to time and replenish. I don't think it's reasonable to make something that is completely imperishable.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 am

Bay Area Bug Eating Society (BABES) has a decent website listing the nutritional value of various bugs. I've eaten a smorgasbord of larva, insects and other creepy crawly things. All living. I probably prefer crickets the most. The key to getting protein from bugs is volume. Eating a single caterpillar is not going to sustain you, but if you can eat six ounces of them, you'll have more protein than an average steak. Many different species of bug cluster together for protection, so finding large quantities is usually not a problem, if you know how to find them. Now go learn how to find them, and practice.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 am

Iive been wanting. To be in a survival situation for so long. Whenever I go hiking I try certain things out, like prepping cactus and drinking stram water. Of course I've drinken a bit too much and gotten sick.

Of course that's an important lesson to learn. As you can't always be prepared for everything.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am

204: exactly what is it that you respect about Adolf Hitler? Feel free to start a new thread about all the reasons he deserves our respect.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:09 pm

I just tryed to make my own MRE but my vacum sealer doesn't work :/

And I completely agree Instructor. Whenever you go camping, bring your bag. Eat yyour food use your gear and replace anything you see fit.

@UA- just go camping some time. Play with your bag, make your own shelter. You don't even have to use it just practice until you feel confertable enough to sleep in what you've built.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Zombie wrote:
@UA. Sorrry dude I tried to be nice.

@EON. Have you had your own MRE before? This all looks pretty interesting.

In a sense. I've never vaccuum sealed everything and stored it for super amazing lengths of time... just wrapped stuff tightly in plastic wrap. I need to get a vaccuum sealer... make beef jerky... go plant random vegetables in the woods... a lot of stuff that's just kinda in the back of my mind.

The basic concept of making your own MRE, if you're using prebought stuff like tuna packets, isn't really any different than making a handout bundle. If you want it to be in some way comparable to an actual MRE, you'd need it to be vaguely nutritious and have at least 2000 calories per packet.

The idea is that you could survive on one MRE a day, pretty much... although it's not considered fun.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Dude you totally need a smoker. I have one and its the greatest way to make mean. Never made jerky though. I read an artical saying if you vacum seal jerky it'll. Last forever as long as it doesn't get moldy or lose color. Ill find the like after I get back from the woods. I'm preparing my next big post.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:36 pm

I was wrong... more like 1300 calories-ish. This site has all the menu items. Thinking about replicating them seems a little difficult.

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-menus.html

You could do it, but it might be cheaper just to buy MREs or MRE copycats.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Les Stroud shows how to make a very nice water purifyer.

I'll find or type it later

He, also, shows that catching wild meat is not as easy as typing about it
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Want a good survival stories

Read

Hatchet

The River

Brian's Winter

Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf and other Farley Mowat books

Robinson Cruso

Swiss Family Robinson

Idea Man wrote that if there are animals to kill there should be other things to eat too

That would depend on where you are and what time of year it is

If you survived say a plane crash in the arctic wilderness You would need to kill other animals for food especially scince there are no plants in the winter
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Watch Snow walker and Anatanajuat the fast runner for more survival skills
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Sitting out in the woods and my boss calls me in. Guess ill have to pick it up tomarrow. Sad

I've been out here for maybe 2 hours and I've only started a shelter, built a fire place and tried to set up an ant trap. (A small pot with honey.) I'm fairly certain I've identify the type of ant properly but still didn't eat any. Althouught I've put some thought into a recipie for it. XD
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

if noone has mentioned it yet , bring about a pound of salt . it lasts a long time and can be used to preserve meat and will keep you alive in hot weather . also pack some pepper , eating bland food gets boring fast
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Survival skills are important, physical well being is essential, but you also have to maintain psychological well being. Rev's comment about bland food brings up a good point. Also being able to keep your mind focused (not on surviving) can keep yourself mentally stable and your morale up, which can make or break your survival experience.
Back to top Go down
Lunar Veil

Lunar Veil

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:54 pm

You do need sodium, but too much salt also dehydrates you and increases your thirst; thus, your water consumption also increases. It would not be a good idea to include a pound of salt when simply surviving is the main goal and, on that note, you should select foods that do not contribute to thirst.

Regarding your inclusion of pasta and rice, everything that I have ever read regarding emergency preparedness says that you should not include foods that require water in order to be prepared.
Back to top Go down

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Last edited by Dark Wolf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 pm

@Gauge
Gauge wrote:
204: exactly what is it that you respect about Adolf Hitler? Feel free to start a new thread about all the reasons he deserves our respect.

I respect him because despite all the horrible things he's done he's still a human being and all humans have both good and evil in them. Nobody is "all evil" or "all good". We're just people. Some people make horrendous mistakes. I don't like Adolf Hitler in any way shape or form. But I respect him. I respect everyone as a person, and I am doing my best to treat everyone respectfully regardless of my personal feelings towards them, and I feel others should try as well. Whether or not they do is their choice; I'm just sharing my input on it; I'm not trying to sound as though I'm telling anyone what to do, sorry if it seemed that way.

@Urban Avenger: Definitely; learning the psychological pressure of true survival should be the first thing one should learn in my opinion. Smile

@"the BABES Post": Coolness! I'll have to take a look at that to help broaden my knowledge of edible bugs! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I usually bring a little salt if I have time, but not for food seasoning; I use it as a substitute for tooth paste because it's a helluva lot cheaper and easier to carry while still saving room for other things that may be more important and I try to save room in my pack to throw in a couple of rabbits or squirrels. Smile

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Think like a caveman, eat like a caveman.
Back to top Go down

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Polarman wrote:
Want a good survival stories

Read

Hatchet

The River

Brian's Winter

Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf and other Farley Mowat books

Robinson Cruso

Swiss Family Robinson

Idea Man wrote that if there are animals to kill there should be other things to eat too

That would depend on where you are and what time of year it is

If you survived say a plane crash in the arctic wilderness You would need to kill other animals for food especially scince there are no plants in the winter

I read hatchet, great book! Another pretty good survivalist story is Touching Spirit Bear if you ever happen upon it at the library. Smile

Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 pm

If you are going to survive on rabbits, squirrels, wild cats, and such make sure you eat the brain. Many fast, wild prey animals have so little fat on them that it is possible to starve on a diet of them. The brain provides much of what you'll need to survive.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Good idea, Rev. salt can help with meat a big bunch.

Les Stroud says to cook the bones and eat the marrow
to get fat too.

Zombie, if you make a steady shelter, the next trouble to
worry about is fleas ( and other bugs ).

Lewis and Clarke found some wonderful shelters
left by the Native Americans - just when they needed them,
only to find out that the reason that
these shelters were abandoned was FLEAS
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Gadgetastic! wrote:
If you are going to survive on rabbits, squirrels, wild cats, and such make sure you eat the brain. Many fast, wild prey animals have so little fat on them that it is possible to starve on a diet of them. The brain provides much of what you'll need to survive.

Braaaaaiiiiinnsss!

And they said that a zombie apocalypse couldn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 pm

eeew!

If you can only bring one book,
a dictionary will keep you busy a looooooong time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Survival - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Survival   Survival - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Survival
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next