Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Getting Winded During Sparring

Go down 
+5
Superman
Flora V. Arbor
toggle
Vulpo
Blue Rattler
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Getting Winded During Sparring Empty
PostSubject: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

This past Monday I had a TKD class where we did five rounds of 3 minute sparring sessions. They were pretty intense against some tough competitors.

I literally felt like I was about to throw up all over the dojo. I don't think I've ever been so winded.

Help . . . what can I do to not get so gassed during sparring rounds like this?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Do it more often?
It's just a matter of stamina, right? Just maintain a proper diet and keep pushing yourself physically.
Back to top Go down
toggle

toggle

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Watch your breathing.

I'm guessing you were fighting off getting pummeled. People usually breathe out on a block. It doesn't take long to get winded if you're blocking a lot, and if you're inexperienced at it, you may also overcompensate your moves. It's easier to move just out of the way of an attack than to block it. But you have to see the attack early enough to do that. You have to anticipate what the next move is going to be based on tells and body mechanics, and do it quickly enough to respond. That takes a lot of practice.

So, practice practice practice!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 pm

blah blah blah, types the aerobics instructor!

I WEEEEEL MOP THEEEE FLOORRRRR WEEETH
YOU CHILDREN WHO DO NOT DO YOUR CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Either you do your cardio or you pants. there are no other choices
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 am

Well Flora they could always buy a segway to chase down the bad guys.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 am

berry berry true
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:12 am

Yeah sparring isn't like jogging it's much more spastic. I find wind sprints or indian sprints to be effective. Try jogging and sprinting as fast as you can every other lightpole for as long as you can.

Also invest in a good mouthpiece that lets you get plenty of air, the cheap ones keep your mouth closed around them and impede breathing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 am

@Blue Rattler: Don't look in your oponents eyes; watch the little dimple where their clavicle comes in the center above their rib-cage. From here you can see both shoulders, arms, and knees, and won't be potentially deceived by his eyes. Some martial artists are tricky like that.

Another technique more experienced practitioners may use are bluffs; throwing a strike that isn't a threat but a distraction; they want you to chase after that and in doing so you'll open yourself up, then they'll strike you where you're vulnerable.

To help overcome that, imagine a blue circle around you at arm's length, and a green circle around you at leg length, if they through a strike within these paremeters, consider them a threat and act accordingly. As soon as you deflect/block, immediately counter. This will wear them out.

Don't be afraid to get hit or kicked. It's going to happen at some point if you actively practice the Crime Fighting aspect of RLSH work, so it's best to get over that fear on the mats as opposed to learning it the hard way on the streets.

Personally, I wouldn't recomend Tae Kwon Do for practical self defense. TKD is a sport martial art, and in real life will likely proove impractical. If I were you, and interested in practical, real world self defense, I would look into Krav Maga, Brazillian Jui Jutsu, (good for grappling and whatnot) or, better yet, (may seem silly) but High School Wrestling can proove useful as well. If you had only one choice though, my recomendation would definitely be Krav Maga

It's a great self defense system, quickly learned, based on instinctual movements, and is specifically designed for real world combat survival. Many LEO and Departments incorporate it, as does many Militay Forces around the globe. Hope this helps, sir. Smile
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 am

I love Krav Maga people they are delicious!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 am

Yeah... do it more often, cardio, etc etc.

The only other thing I can think of (barring asthma or something) is that you might be instinctively holding your breath when you exert yourself -- which is a good thing to unlearn, if applicable.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:51 pm

...what EON typed
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Do sprints. like above guy said.

dont eat before practice. your blood goes to your body and away from your stomach and thats why u get sick/puke. if u have food in your guy, youll want to puke even sooner than later.

try doing squats. your legs muscles are the largest and use the most blood which will help cardio alot, plus squats use damn near every muscle in your body so your getting an all round workout which any athlete would want in his training routine.

i dont spar but i lift and run and get the puke feeling sometimes when i have coffee before going to the gym or eat a big breakfast.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Also more generally. Noobs waste a lot of energy when they spar. Be calm, be efficient, Don't block things that aren't going to hit you. Your moves should be deliberate and precise. Don't bounce around on the balls of your feet like you see in movies. Don't forget to breathe.
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Not to mention hydrate. The few times that I felt like that during a sparring match was when I wasn't sufficiently hydrated. My favorite is a 50/50 mix of gatorate and water.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Winded During Sparring   Getting Winded During Sparring Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Getting Winded During Sparring
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Self Defense & Martial Arts-
Jump to: