Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggestions on how to do the splits

Go down 
+7
DarkShadow
Urban Avenger
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
adamm[]
JohnDoe
Blue Rattler
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Suggestions on how to do the splits Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:23 am

Anyone have any suggestions on getting to the point of being able to do front and side splits? Are there any good stretch programs you'd recommend? Or is this just one of those "do it everyday until you can do it" type things?
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:13 am

You need stretch programs AND a frequent stretching routine, otherwise you'll quickly lose a large amount of the flexibility you gained if you stop stretching.

Videos on proper ballet and taekwondo stretching are easily accessible online. As far as I know these are some of your best bets.

Just remember that proper pacing and breathing are EXTREMELY important.

It's okay to feel uncomfortable while stretching but any pain is not a good thing. If you over stretch then you'll be faced with a significant drawback. Over stretch the day prior and you'll feel soreness and pain the next day. When this happens DO NOT stretch out your legs any further. Because your legs will be trying to repair themselves, any additional stretching will only make things worse by tearing the damaged areas further. The mending process will cause your legs to become tender and therefore vunerable to further injury by stretching.

As far as breathing goes, slow and controlled is the best way to go. Deep but steady breaths in and out. This link covers the bases pretty well:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2047726_breath-during-stretching-exercises.html

You'll also need to remember to warm-up before stretching and then cool-down afterwards to help guard against injury.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:55 am

DONT OVERSTRETCH. pain is not gain when stretching. take it slow.

i used to stretch alot every day for a while, like 2 years. i never got to split capabilities, so its gonna take some time.

i think its your joint ligaments that your stretching that allow you to do splits and they are less forgiving than muscle, if you over tear them they never heal up, or perhaps take a very long time and wont be 100%. so take it slow.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Along with regular stretching, you might find this helpful: http://www.livestrong.com/article/182549-how-to-gain-fast-twitch-muscle-fibers/

I'm no expert on flexibility, though.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm

before I rant, what is your goal...once you get splits, what will you do with the ability?

if your goal is high kicks, KNOW that someone will grab your foot and make mince meat out of you.

High kicks are NOT good for self defense
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm

I know you worry, Flora Smile

My goal isn't for self defense. It's mainly a flexibility measure for me. Besides, snakes are flexible. If I have a snake in part of my name, I should be flexible too Smile

Seriously, though, if I had to pick a purpose, it would be for skiing. I've seen people tear their groins (that hurt just writing it) because they somehow are forced to do the splits (one ski gets stuck).
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I have a very long lecture on every detail of stretching.

Short answer: you are born flexible or not.

I have tried since I was a kid so be flexible.
I grew up in dance and gymnastics classes.

no go

I, STILL. can't put my butt on my head

sigh
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:13 pm

I used to be able to do the splits. I used to be able to brodge my legs between two chairs and hang rhere.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:23 pm

can you put your butt on your head?
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Quote :

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm giving myself 20 months of stretching everyday. At the end of that time, if I haven't gotten to a full front and side splits, I will publicly admit that you were right and I was wrong
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

I can bend over backwards with my head between my feet
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Quote :

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm giving myself 20 months of stretching everyday. At the end of that time, if I haven't gotten to a full front and side splits, I will publicly admit that you were right and I was wrong

I have a wall of sheepskin that makes me yawn at your doubt
and
I have spoken in public, at length, in vast pools of peers and been examined in one
of THE most litigious climates in the nation.

yawn yawn yawn.

I could make big money if I could undo this physical fact
but it is equal to yelling at the legs to make them stop growing hair.

yawn
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Flora,

Are you really saying that stretching does not improve the flexibility of one's muscles?

How is it then that someone, who cannot touch their toes from a standing position with straight legs, can . . . over time with stretching . . . eventually touch their toes?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Im not as flexible as I used to be. I dont stretch as much as I should.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

On the title of this thread: Suggestions on how to do the splits.

DarkShadow's response: Very carefully Smile

DarkShadow out
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:12 pm

As far as suggestions go how I got to where I was, I would go as far down as I could, bracing myself with my arms and have someone push down on my back, as my muscles tended to be stronger than gravity. Also thrres a stretching machine specifically designed for this. A bit on the pricey side but I used to use it at my old kenpo studio. So you could sit there with your legs on a stretching rack playing video ganes or reading a book and it does most of the work for you.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:01 pm

1. when bending forward, remember that most spinal discs herniate backwards from accumulated damage.

2. there is no amount of stretching that can get you hired by cirque du soleil

3. the center split, leg-stretcher ignores that fact that is cannot give you longer femur necks

4. I have a REALLY long explanation for strength vs stretch but, seriously, i have no windows of time to type it up.

5. stretching does not prevent injuries.
6. there is no such thing as a "warm-up". ( you aren't warmer. you KNOW what a fever is )

So, in the interest of brevity - what is the goal of being more flexible?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I love how you never have time to explain things but theres always time to tell everyone they are wrong.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't have a better solution.
I cringe to try to shut up and let such precious people hurt them selves
but a few hours to type up a seriously expensive lecture series
PLUS all the pre-requiste questions that would be asked is just out of my price range.

PM me and I'll give you my website
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 am

I sit at a desk for my job. I've done that for 15+ years. So, to answer your question of why I stretch . . . it's to counter-balance the damage that comes from a lifetime of working at a sedentary job.

I used to get into the butterfly stretch, and basically my knees would be straight up because my hips were so tight from sitting all those years. Now, because of stretching, they're not. I also don't suffer pain in my back from my hips being so tight.

Also, I practice Tae Kwon Do. At first I couldn't do side kicks because of tight hips. Now, I can.

Bottom line: there is a purpose to be flexible. And flexibility can be improved. I've seen it for myself.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am

If we don't think of it as a question of stretching and flexibility specifically -- just for a moment. It's pretty well established that the human body adapts to demands placed on it (that don't break it).

So you might try building up to whatever type of activity you're looking to be prepared for. It stands to reason -- to me anyway -- that running and jumping, lunging, etc, will improve your flexibility if it's running and jumping you haven't been doing in the recent past.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 pm

here is the shortest way I can figure to state what you want to know:

1. flexibility is limited by genetics
2. stretching does not prevent injuries
3. most spinal discs herniate backwards from accumulated damage

So, ask your self what muscles you are stretching and why and why are you skipping
over other muscles and what do you hope to gain by skipping over some?

The body needs these things for long-term, physical health maintenance:
1. safety
2. food
3. sleep
4. water ( inside and out )
5. cardio
6. strength

stretching will replace none of them.

Stretching does not give you a fever ( make you warmer- warm you up )
Stretching does not prevent injuries
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Wtf are you talking about? Thats not answering the question at all. Most of that is not even relevant to this discussion.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Please, read it again
and ask your self about splits before you read each line and it should make more sense
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
...Stretching does not prevent injuries...

than why does it say in every fitness book ever written to stretch before lifting, or running or any physical activity to prevent possible serious injuries? do seriously think you know more than people with degrees in these fields who have written these books? who lecture daily on this exact subject?

i now am leaning more towards the fact that you dont know what you're talking about sometimes, i dont have a degree in this subject, do you?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to do the splits
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next