Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Criminal Psych

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Delta_RLSH

Delta_RLSH

Category :
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 am

Does anyone have any useful suggestions on text or sites to get a better grounding in criminogenic thinking? Something you’ve actually used and can rate would be best.

Thanks,
Delta
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:57 am

Delta!

Great to see you!

Wow, there's a lot for that. 

Rober Hare's Without Conscience is probably the best book out for the laypeople in terms of exploring/understanding criminal behavior related to psychopathy.  It's not only an informative read, but Hare writes in an engaging fashion that has converted many of my students to actually wanting to work with the criminal population.  As it turns out, the prisons have a great many individuals who would fit the criteria.  However, you'll find the same behavior patterns in business institutions, politics, law, and among people who remain legal if not legit. 

However, not all (not even most) criminogenic behavior is related to psychopathy.  Curt Bartol's Criminal Behavior:  A Psychological Approach is kind of a gold standard (now in its 11th edition according to Amazon), but it reads like a textbook (indeed, it is...and costs about the same as well).  You might want to try the much cheaper Criminal Psychology:  A Beginners Guide to start with (I haven't read that one, it was recommended by a colleague).

Hoping it helps.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
Delta_RLSH

Delta_RLSH

Category :
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks Rook.

I recently had a PO explain why some sex offenders were more of a risk than others and it was absolutely fascinating. Shortly after that I went to a conference and one of the classes focused on the “logic” some people use to justify criminal behavior. It left me wanting to know more. My social science background isn’t enough for me to jump into the deep end but these should get me started.

Delta
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Rook wrote:
Rober Hare's Without Conscience is probably the best book out for the laypeople in terms of exploring/understanding criminal behavior related to psychopathy.
Behaviorism or psycology?
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Both. Behaviorism is one of many models within psychology. 

-Rook (Psychologist and Radical Behaviorist)
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 am

Depens who you ask.
Back to top Go down
Delta_RLSH

Delta_RLSH

Category :
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am

I did a check on Amazon and the 9th edition has some cheap used copies. Are you familiar enough with the text to know if there is a comparable difference in the content?
Delta
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 am

There's some new research indicated, but if memory serves, it remains pretty much the same.  It's published by Pearson, who puts the table of contents of that, plus the last edition on their website for comparison.

The general rule is that in order to legitimately call a textbook a new "edition," it must be at least 1/3 different from the previous version.  Thus, you can guarantee some differences exactly which third keeps changing, however, is often a mystery.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:14 pm

You could basically take a college class...
Back to top Go down
Delta_RLSH

Delta_RLSH

Category :
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks Eon. For a number of reasons taking a college class isn’t feasible right now.

In any case at this point in my life I’m more into self-directed learning unless I need the CEs.  I just want to get the basics. Additionally anything shared here could also be used by someone else.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 am

Well, here's a typical Criminal Psychology course syllabus (PDF file):
www.mclennan.edu/instructor-plans/save/spring-2012/psyc-2302-75
You could go item by item researching it online, pacing yourself over however long, and get about the same overview as a college class.

I used to take syllabi like these, combine a few of them to make an "average course syllabus," then spend weekends cramming on some subject, then go in and take CLEP or DANTES (similar to CLEP) tests on a Monday.  It worked well enough.

And the advantage is, of course, it's basically free.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am

Now whether this will in any way help you achieve any RLSH-related goals...

Eh.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:26 am

First of all, you could see a criminal weather it was amateur or professional by his looks. If he has a gloves, better prepare to fight for your life once you encountered one. But if he's just dumb, you could be the heck out of him. That is what i think but don't engage one! Trust me, you'll regret it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Criminal Psych Empty
PostSubject: Re: Criminal Psych   Criminal Psych Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Criminal Psych
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Skills-
Jump to: