Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police

Go down 
+4
Anyman
nightmare
NightWatch
Vulpo
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Empty
PostSubject: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 am

This isn't exactly news pertaining to RLSH, but it is very relevant news for RLSH, so I felt it necessary to share here.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/peacekeeper-app/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/peacekeeper-emergency-response/id867425789?mt=8

This software could (and hopefully will) revolutionize the way communities can help themselves, and RLSH could be a very active part of this effort. Anyone interested? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
NightWatch

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:15 am

I could see this as a very useful tool... Or a way to get tracked.

Then again, I'm more paranoid of things than not most of the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Calling 911 is faster in my opinion, but thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

204 wrote:
Calling 911 is faster in my opinion, but thanks for sharing.
Perhaps you didn't read the article I linked, but there are more factors in play than just the response time (which varies greatly depending on where you are).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I was referring to the act of dialing three numbers.

It's interesting; more resources the merrier.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 pm

faster way? Fire your gun. XD
Back to top Go down
NightWatch

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 pm

@nightmare: not all of us want/need/can own firearms, and most likely not single one of us would get away with that unless we are desperate (and in some instances, just not at all)

In my experience, police response times vary, and (locigally I would surmise) that even if they get there within those minutes, that sometimes everything's done by then. I'm not sure about other regions, but here, 911-worthy crimes often happen that way (according to various people in the community I live in)
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Every tool the common man has at his disposal is a good tool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 pm

I like guns.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:59 pm

No, some tools are useless, ineffective, obsolete, or otherwise inferior. Resources need to be evaluated before they are used on patrol.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 01, 2014 1:42 am

Gauge wrote:
No, some tools are useless, ineffective, obsolete, or otherwise inferior. Resources need to be evaluated before they are used on patrol.
This is true, but overall, the more people making tools, the more good ones we'll get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 am

Meh, I think the usefullness of a tool is in the hands of the beholder. Having trouble thinking of a completely useless tool....I would think any tool would have some use, otherwise....well, it's not a tool lol. XD
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 01, 2014 3:33 pm

You can dig a tunnel with a teaspoon, but is that the most effective tool? Without a clear understanding of your goal, and a timeline for success, it is difficult to choose the best tool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Ah, I see.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 04, 2014 12:13 am

Gauge wrote:
That's where human ingenuity takes over.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 04, 2014 1:33 am

Resourcefulness on patrol is a valuable skill, and you should be able to improvise when needed, but given the choice between tools, you should generally opt for the most efficient. Human ingenuity will get you only so far, and you don't want to be in a time sensitive situation with tools that are inadequate to complete your task in time to avoid a tragic outcome.
Back to top Go down
Ulfbert

Ulfbert

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am

Alright Ive had just about enough of this. It's clear to to many people except you guys that the police are corrupt, racist and incompetent. If you don't want fear mongers like the people in the article above to take over from them than YOU HAVE TO. The Police should be nothing more than a clean up crew. There not helpful or useful. why cant you see that? Everyone else can.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am

umm...thanks for the insight, new guy. We'll get right on that.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 08, 2014 12:46 pm

So the concept here is to have an untrained and undisciplined mob show up to an emergency. What could possibly go wrong? When this happens, and the police come upon the scene of fifteen people laying into one guy, or a group of neighbors who have all been shot, there will bemuch more violence than some police already use. This app will only lead to bad places.

As for taking over police duties, that is cracked. We can be eyes and ears, and even take action when there is immediate need, but we will never have the same authority as police. The "Police State" blog is warped thinking.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Thu May 08, 2014 1:08 pm

All power corrupts, but we need the electricity.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 11, 2014 1:25 am

Ulfbert wrote:
Alright Ive had just about enough of this. It's clear to to many people except you guys that the police are corrupt, racist and incompetent. If you don't want fear mongers like the people in the article above to take over from them than YOU HAVE TO. The Police should be nothing more than a clean up crew. There not helpful or useful. why cant you see that? Everyone else can.

Here's the thing. The will of the people comes first. Above all else. Nobody is superior to anyone else, in any matter; that includes the delegation of authority. There are a lot of corrupt cops out there, just like there's corruption and elitism in every demographic or walk of life. There are also a lot of cops that get harassed, beaten, killed, and even end up having to leave their families forever, to keep them safe, because they realize that the people they serve and protect are every bit as valuable and authoritative as they are. The people, overwhelmingly, choose to let the police serve and protect them. It's a crime against humanity to take the right away from them to choose whom they trust to serve them. It's elitism, of the worst order. Above all, the will of the people is law. Officer or crime-fighter, we would all do well to remember that.
Back to top Go down
NightWatch

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 am

Ulfbert wrote:

I'm relatively new here, but I know that you can't generalize an entire group of people like this. There's a lot of corruption in society, and it seems to be a constant (like teenage immaturity, but with far worse actions and far more serious consequences). Police officers are not all corrupt, but that is not to say that there are none that are corrupt. 

The police have the law to follow but also have superiors. From what I've seen on this forum, we are guided by our own morality, our own sense of justice. I'm not saying that RLSH's are another police force in any way, what I mean is that we both (cops and RLSH's) choose to uphold what is right, just with different methods, and different conventions.

Please correct me if you believe that I said something wrong.

-NightWatch
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 11, 2014 11:59 am

yeah, this Ulfbert has made only one post, and has not made an intro post. I don't think we need to debate his ramblings. I'm sure he's watching this thread from his parents' basement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Not all power corrupts, people just like to say that because for many "power" is a scary word, if only because someone is twirling it over theirheads like a bludgeon. The answerr when we see the corrupt abusing power should not be "Power is bad." but "I gotta get me some o' that."

Power is like guns and drugs, it's a tool, you can either use it or abuse it, but power doesn't corrupt, people will do that to themselves all on their own, even if in a powerless world.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1Sun May 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Power does corrupt. I feel pretty corrupted right know. Your ignorance on the subject alienate you in a way, because I see myself as better than you. I feel an urge to humiliate you, and something in me believ it's ok, because it put you below me. It's not the way I was raised, but it's easy to give in to the urge of demostrating superiority.

And that's just knowledge. Imagine what my ego would grow into if I had a nuclear warhead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police   Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Peacekeeper: An alternative to calling the police
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next