Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need advice

Go down 
+2
Equal
DrEtna
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DrEtna

DrEtna

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 pm

I was doing karate but I decided to begin wing-chun (chinese boxing) and now, I wonder if I made a good choice.
Can you tell me what you think about it?

(Excuse my english)
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Train something modern. Old styles are polluted by chains of instructors who have only experienced violence when their mamas was slapping their ass. And work on your strenght.
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 pm

You should pick up Highschool Wrestling, (not to be underestimated), Krav Maga, and Combat Shooting/Gunslinging.
Back to top Go down
DrEtna

DrEtna

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am

Ok, thank you for your advices
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:53 pm

You're welcome.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 pm

Clint Sporman's a great resource. Direct line back to W.E. Fairbairn. Fairbairn combatives have been the foundation of modern military and police self-defense for decades. Even with the Army adopting Matt Larsen's BJJ-related material, which is fine for it's purposes, Fairbairn combatives are still #1. From all indications, MCMAP is almost entirely based on them.
Back to top Go down
DrEtna

DrEtna

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Okay, I'll look to your resource.
But I found an other club of Wing Chun which is really different of traditional styles. The master is a former doorman. He did this job for four years and he decided to create a new "style" of Wing Chun.
Can it be useful or is it just a time wasting ?

(One more time, sorry for my bad english)
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 pm

there are all kinds of arts you can study. . .i think what it boils down to is this. . .what do you want out of it. . .can you preform it when you get older. . .or injured. . .several arts cannot be fully accomplished if your hurt. . .older or the like. . .are you confident in your instructor. . .even a so called mediocre art can be devastating if you are under a good master. . .and able to open up to them. . .don't pick the cool art that everyone else is into. . .it's not them who have to use it. . .and rely on it. . .search out all that are available. . .talk to the instructors.. .and be comfortable with your decision. . .not every art is for every person. . .if you are comfortable with what you're studying. . .you will be better off. . .if you study what everyone else is studying. . .just because they are studying it. . .you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. . .
Back to top Go down
DrEtna

DrEtna

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Your words are very wise. I'll think about these. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:58 am

Find arts that interest you. Those are the ones you will do best at and study the most intently. If you don't enjoy it, you will have little motivation to practice.
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:24 am

I'm a Jeet Kune Do man myself, so in a way that's like saying I'm into all martial arts.  DrEtna, if you want to find your own martial path while learning what is useful to you, I'd suggest you try to find a Jeet Kune Do instructor.

Or just learn from many sources.  If you explore and find useful techniques that fit your abilities, hang onto those and add them to your own personal style.  When it comes from within you, you can't go wrong.  I know a lot of people would disagree with that, but I suppose it depends on your definition of what is "within".

Above all, don't get stuck in one style.  Don't be a Karate person, or a Wing Chun person, etc.  Be You.  Be the best martial artist you can be.
Back to top Go down
DrEtna

DrEtna

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Ok.
All your advices are very precious for me.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:57 pm

New style of wing chun? Smell McDojo to me...
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Could be. Depends on how effective it is, and whether or not the instructor's claims are on the up and up.

Another good art that comes to mind is Chin Na, btw.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:10 am

If he can prove that he's been training WC for at least ten years, and experienced real violence for at least six (if he's a nice person, make that twenty years), he could have a good thing going.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:47 am

Probably nothing new in it. Perhaps an adaptation of elements of different styles, but I doubt the moves are unique.
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Pressure Point Combat, or Kyusho jutsu should give you a distinct advantage.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:29 am

Wing Chun is just fine. Some legendary street fighters have been chunsmen- Ip Man, Wong Shun Leung, Emin Boztepe. 

Kathy Long, Donnie Yen, Brandon Lee, and Ron van Clief all studied WC, and I rate them. Keith Kernspecht is a beast. James Yimm Lee was a hardcase, he used to break marble slabs with his hands.

I wouldn't sniff at modified Wing Chun either, a guy created Jeet Kune Do from Wing Chun, his name was Bruce Lee, I don't know, you may have heard of him?

Jesse Glover (Non Classical Gung Fu), Ed Hart (The Stuff), Leo T. Fong (Wei Kuen Do) and James DeMile (Wing Chun Do) all created modified Wing Chun styles, and I rate them.
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:46 am

Cornelius Brunner wrote:
I wouldn't sniff at modified Wing Chun either, a guy created Jeet Kune Do from Wing Chun, his name was Bruce Lee, I don't know, you may have heard of him?

LOL!  I love your sarcasm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59 pm

A terrible power I have sworn to only use for good. Or at least awesome.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Saying a dude can get away with his own WC style because Bruce Lee did... It's a bit like some guy say he can become president because George Washington could.

A lot of people have the same education I do. It doesn't make them as intelligent.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:11 pm

OK, I'll let them know they're doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Need advice
Page 1 of 1