Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carpe Nocturne

Go down 
+3
Gauge
Tital-Wave
DarkShadow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Hey guys, our new Carpe Nocturne magazine is out and I wanted to share it with the community!

As I have spoken about earlier, we acquired the Carpe Magazine last year and have been working to grow it. The magazine has followers from all over the world and was mostly focused on the Goth culture and their music. The magazine was driven by an entirely volunteer staff.

We were blessed to have this opportunity.

The original owner became ill and could no longer run the magazine. We used to advertise in it (Visual Adjectives) and over the years we became friends. He chose us to take over and we honor him by striving to gift the full potential of this magazine with every corner of the world!

Our volunteer staff is AWESOME!!! We have become a worldwide community and family. One of the first things they asked for, was the ability to spotlight and bring in more creative cultures.

Last summer we made our magazine based on Steampunk. In the last issue, we brought in a focus of different arts. This one, we delve into Fantasy and present a brand new photo study section called VISCERAL ATTRACTIONS.

We’ve had the magazine up for ONE day and received an AWE-INSPIRING response from all corners of the globe (Thanks Europe, India, and Japan)!

I told the community about the RLSH Movement, which would be a perfect article for the magazine. This is why I did the earlier post asking everyone on the backgrounds and reason for becoming a RLSH. I eventually would like to place an article in our magazine about it. (I will need some high quality pictures, guys!)

Carpe Nocturne will become the voice of the creative culture and allow those, who may not be accepted into the embrace of the norm, to have a platform to share their journey with.
I love my Carpe Nocturne team and I love my Carpe Nocturne community. I am VERY proud to share this achievement with you all and I welcome your input and involvement!!

You can get the Digital Edition Magazine for FREE by simply going to the Subscription page.

Link: www.CarpeNocturne.net
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CarpeNocturneMagazine

-Omen, "Heroes aren't made during good times!"

Visual Adjectives
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Nice. Looks very interesting, good luck with it.

I'll gladly send you something of mine as time permits. Just say the word.

DarkShadow out
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Hey guys, I wanted to mention that our newest volume of Carpe Nocturne drops tomorrow and things are exciting. This magazine will be our first year in print, now that we are the owners of it.

The entire magazine has been going for ten years.

This one will be honoring the Steampunk theme which was born from the Goth subculture and grew into its own beast.

On a side note – I have been blessed by being a part of all of this because I have learned that many of the challenges encountered within many of the subcultures I have explored and worked with are actually the same as those encountered here. I have found the sources and beginning to many of our journeys similar, the paths are very much different while the destinations are ultimately what remind us that we are a family of unique individuals.

We all reside outside of what would be considered ‘normal’. While some people question things, we live in a world of questions and fight to except order, tradition, and routine. When the public celebrates the color gray, we are the bright yellow spot in the middle of the crowd looking around wondering why everyone is so stuck on gray.

We are different. Some of us were born that way, while others were made that way.

When we first purchased the magazine, it was mainly focused on the Goth subculture. In the last year, we have opened the doors and become not only the gateway, but the voice as to what it means to be the living words spoken about being… Other than the norm.

When people dress up, act a role, wear a mask, and try to be someone or something they’re not… we are the ones that actually look at them and ask, “Why are YOU ‘cosplaying’ as a cashier, a nurse, a teacher, a doctor, or a lawyer… while laughing at me?”

Life is too short, not to live. Being what is deepest in our heart is one of the scariest, albeit and challenging, things one can strive to be. Some will find that their ‘normal’ life is truly the façade and their ‘visited’ life is really who they are.

I have seen Goths help children, Steampunk clowns entertain the depressed, and RLSHs help old women across the street. ALL of them are related and free during those moments of goodness.

----------
The concept of Carpe Nocturne is about obscurity and the eventide in reference to what is perceived to be the norm.

Obscurity – uncertainty of meaning or expression; ambiguity.
Eventide – the coming of evening; the contrast of day
Contrast – to compare in order to show unlikeness or difference
In short, Carpe Nocturne is about celebrating and embracing sub-cultures that are ‘other than the norm’.
----------

Carpe Nocturne Magazine is the gateway to these obscure lifestyles, as well as their voice to the outside world (the norm). When our magazine speaks to the world of the norm, we are announcing the coming of the evening as we allow the night to become its words.

The norm owns the day; Carpe Nocturne Magazine celebrates the night.

-Omen
Back to top Go down
Tital-Wave

Tital-Wave

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:45 pm

my body hurts i should rest for a few days before going out on patrol again
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Or just go out a little while each night so you will gradually be able to stay out longer. Maybe create a thread so we don't usurp this one.
Back to top Go down
Daremyth

Daremyth

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:46 am

Hey looks fun and interesting, omen.  Nice venture.  I'm checking it out. 

Link: www.CarpeNocturne.net
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/CarpeNocturneMagazine
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for the support, Daremyth! We are going to be releasing our Fall edition this week which celebrates the 10th year of the magazine. We pride ourselves in having an international presence with a local feel.

I have mentioned this before and I will state it again, now that you have brought this post back to the top…

I invite the RLSH community to have a article placed in the magazine to bring to light the challenges, successes, intentions, and actions of Real Life Super Heroes. If a group of you guys would put something together along with some high definition pictures/art… I will gladly add it to our magazine.

Someone would need to take the lead and organize an aspect of the culture that invites discover and understanding while keeping the reader intrigued.
If this is something that is possible, then by-all-means, let the brainstorming of new ideas start!!

-Omen, “Heroes aren’t made during good times!” – The Elite Force Division
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:24 am

So it's basically Goth, Steampunk, and generally interesting subculture and counter-culture? Like... Vice in a corset. I can dig that.
Any chance of articles on Urbex, Subgenius, Discordians, or Freemasonry? Freemasons have tremendous SWAG.

Lol, reminds me of Node, the magazine from William Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Congratulations. That's a great milestone. I've been working on something that might fit in Carpe Nocturne, but it's really probably better suited for submission to Visual Adjectives's next anthology.

The article is a great idea, though I don't think I have the authority to lead that one. Might I suggest a piece on RLSH's efforts at the time of last Comic Con? Or a memoir/musing/discussion thing on where the movement was/is by a veteran?
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:45 pm

I think its intriguing that you would bring up the anthology because it originally began with a concept derived from the RLSH 'movement', back in the days. When I first discovered RLSHs, I was working on my book about military superheroes.

When I began meeting members and listening to their stories and thoughts, I noticed the subtle bonds of wanting to do ‘Good’ and ‘Right’ as much as the variety of techniques to achieve both of these attributes.

During our weekly meetings at the publishing company I began to speak about the concept of RLSHs and the topics that we went over. When the Phoenix Jones stuff went nuts and the concept of RLSHs went from being a subculture to becoming a whisper of something called a ‘Movement’, people could not get enough of hearing about them, learning about them, and reading about them.

Some of the authors in our anthology are RLSHs. One of the stories I wrote was dedicated to Knighthood for his wisdom and patience as a veteran to the culture. When I did the quick write up, I posted it to our forum and within no time, emails began to pour in.

Link: http://visadj.com/thread/368/rlsh-knighthood-chivalry

We used it as the first story in our Hero-Anti-Hero-Vigilante anthology.

I also used portions of other stories told and emailed to me from other RLSHs in the Dark America story, as well as in some of the other stories in the book. We have already started to receive stories for our next Hero-Anti-Hero-Vigilante book and we don’t even have a release date set for it, yet.

If you have ideas and stories, I invite you to share them in the anthology. If you need help with your concept and characters, feel free to come over to our board to discuss them. (link: www.VisAdj.com).

I have even worked with 204 to develop a story based upon his history to help him to cope with some of the challenges he is having with the echoes from those memories. In my opinion, telling his story through the world of his superhero would present a platform that he can act out his anger and understanding while gaining wisdom from it by seeing it from the big picture aspect. This is an example of the collaboration:

Link:  http://visadj.com/thread/1038/character-design-sketch-204?page=1&scrollTo=7076

Sadly, he did not continue working on his story and he returned to the board in an attempt to ‘live’ out what he felt was the only path he could take. I personally believe that his story, if handled well, could have the makings to influence those, who could relate to his pain, in a positive way. He would have needed to focus on how his character came back from adversity without succumbing to the cheap penance of vengeance.

-Omen
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:54 am

One of my favorite experiences reading this forum back when I was just a lurker was following that discussion between you and user Defie about the meaning of heroism and villainy. Did he ever go into more detail about that unfinished graphic novel project of his, by the way? I figure you'd be the one to know if he shared any pages.

"Chivalry" was such a great choice for opening the anthology. It clicks with people whatever their preconceived notions about RLSH and goes straight for the reality. There's the self-doubt and the realized potential for embarrassment and disaster as a result of this admittedly strange thing RLSH are doing. It really comes out when Knight-Hood laughs at himself and thinks, "My first superhero fight..."--but then there's also that response from the world that reveal Knight-Hood's efforts do matter.

"Dark America" is one of my other favorites due to the complexity of the narrator and the way in which different kinds of RLSH interact and contrast with each other.

Thank you for the invitation to the board. I'm pretty clear on what I want to do this time around, but I might see what you folks over there think of a preview or prospectus.

It may be that writing is not the way the fellow behind 204 needs to work through his situation, but I agree that if he chooses to do so the result will help anyone who can find something of themselves and their lives in the storytelling. I think sometimes it's hard to accept that the bravest thing we can do may be the least traditionally glorious, like listening to somebody who's used to being overlooked or sitting down humbly with pen and paper at a desk.
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 am

Thank you for the complements, Blue Stranger.

My father had this saying, "Everyone has a story to tell, but it is not everyone that is willing to listen."

I didn't really understand this statement until I got older and learned how to listen to others... instead of hear them. Only then, did I realize how truly powerful a compliment can be.

-Omen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carpe Nocturne Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpe Nocturne   Carpe Nocturne Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Carpe Nocturne
Page 1 of 1