Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PhD

Go down 
+3
Cornelius Brunner
Blue Stranger
Gauge
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:41 pm

I am currently trying to get into a doctorate program at my local university.  It is a little-known field called Prevention Science.  Basically, they do research into societal problems and prevention strategies.
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Coolness. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 pm

To prevent societies. Much needed:)
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:10 pm

That sounds fascinating. Do you have anything in mind already for your dissertation?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Use the Babel Generator and have it done in five minutes.
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:01 pm

^Lol, cheater.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:57 am

Blue Stranger wrote:
That sounds fascinating. Do you have anything in mind already for your dissertation?

I want to work on preventing gender-based discrimination and abuse through women's empowerment.  My goal is to identify potential victims and help them to avoid harmful people and situations.  One idea I had for a potential dissertation topic is researching whether dogs could be trained to identify people who are trying to conceal violent tendencies.
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:45 am

Hmm; there could be some problems with training dog to detect people who are trying to conceal violent tendencies. I suspect a dog that sensitive to people could be dangerous. Having a traditional family guard dog and a can of pepper spray should be sufficient; have to be careful about not trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I don't mean to be discouraging; I'm not sure either what level of stuff the people you give your dissertation want or are expecting. Best of luck to you in your endeavors. Smile
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:50 pm

J Doe wrote:
Having a traditional family guard dog and a can of pepper spray should be sufficient;

The purpose is not to have a guard dog to detect immediate threats.  The purpose is to detect that a person who is trying to incorporate himself into your life is concealing violent tendencies.  Such as a "charming" new boyfriend who ends up becoming physically abusive after making it nearly impossible for his partner to escape the relationship.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

J Doe wrote:
have to be careful about not trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. 

I disagree entirely.  I believe that reinventing the wheel is the whole point of becoming a scientist.
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:49 pm

How will you get the dog sensitive enough to detect violent tendencies in people pretending to be normal? And how will the dog know what kind of violent tendency signs to look for/what if it mistakes a superhero or a cop for a bad guy/predator? 

This sounds like a dangerous idea; I think the dog would have to be almost as smart as a human. That's a bit of a scary thought. 

Personally, I feel the whole point of science is to create something better than the wheel; improve on designs. It kinda sounds like this idea is a bit too complicated with too many variables. It would be a lot easier to teach a human how to detect possible violent tendencies in people than a dog. And humans would be able to make judgment calls; dogs run on instincts and are hunters by nature....
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 pm

J Doe wrote:
How will you get the dog sensitive enough to detect violent tendencies in people pretending to be normal? 

How the Hell should I know?  I have not gotten into the program yet.  I have never really even conducted actual scientific research before.

Anyway, I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of being considered a crackpot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mr. Burns wrote:
That fellow at RadioShack said I was mad... well who's mad now?!
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:34 am

Okey doke; didn't mean to start anything. Just pointing something out/providing constructive criticism. 

Knock 'em dead. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 am

Dogs can pick up a lot about people, including changes in behavior. Of course, you have therapy dogs that are already trained to pick up on things like when their owner is about to have a seizure, and dogs that work with the elderly have shown great sensitivity to how they feel. Dogs are very expressive creatures, and can read expressions as naturally as they can pick up on changes in weather or health.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 am

It's not that dogs have the ability to sense "bad" people--it's that we do, and dogs are particularly sensitive to their masters' emotions and pick up on the cues we're giving.

This is important to remember mainly because not knowing it can lead you to assume false positives. When your dog acts in a friendly manner toward someone, that doesn't mean they're trustworthy--it means you are inclined to trust them.

If your dog seems wary of somebody, conversely, stop and ask yourself how you feel about the person and their behavior, and what it might be that's bothering you about them. Too charming? Trying too hard? Not respecting boundaries? It's true that dogs have a great capacity to read and respond to humans, but their focus in most situations is going to be on their human, and taking cues from you.

(In the grand tradition of the Learn Legit thread--this is information that comes from Gavin de Becker in The Gift of Fear as well as articles/interviews by Cesar Millan.)
Back to top Go down

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 am

Nicely said, Blue Stranger.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Blue Stranger wrote:
If your dog seems wary of somebody, conversely, stop and ask yourself how you feel about the person and their behavior, and what it might be that's bothering you about them. Too charming? Trying too hard? Not respecting boundaries? It's true that dogs have a great capacity to read and respond to humans, but their focus in most situations is going to be on their human, and taking cues from you.

That is why I became fascinated with the idea.  People will say that they do not trust someone if their dog doesn't like that person.  So, it leads me to a hypothesis that dogs are capable of identifying a person who is hiding some sort of sinister motives.  I would like to research the extent to which that is actually possible, the reasons for it, and how it could be utilized.

I am intrigued by the idea that the dogs are responding to the owner's emotions rather than anything the potential threat is doing.  Perhaps the owner already subconsciously does not trust the person, and that is why the dog doesn't like them.  The cause and effect might be reversed.  Whatever the case, I still think that it would make very interesting research.  If I ended up coming to the conclusion that my hypothesis was incorrect, that does not make it bad research.  Negative results are still valuable.  And it could still make for a good doctoral dissertation.
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Absolutely, test it. The only experimental difficulty I can see coming would be the element of people with actual violent intentions. I know a lot of "would your dog protect you from a mugging" tests fail because the "mugger" does not actually have violent intentions and the dog's owner is not actually alarmed.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Blue Stranger wrote:
Absolutely, test it. The only experimental difficulty I can see coming would be the element of people with actual violent intentions. I know a lot of "would your dog protect you from a mugging" tests fail because the "mugger" does not actually have violent intentions and the dog's owner is not actually alarmed.

Yeah, I think that would be the trickiest part.  Somehow I would have to be able to get people that I know for a fact to have violent tendencies to see if the dog could pick them out of a lineup, if you will.  And I would probably need quite a few such people to train the dog in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:16 am

I'm the most violent person I know, and dogs love me.

What happened to the good old days of heroes like Doc Savage operating on criminals' brains to remove their violent behaviour?
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:07 pm

CB, what makes you "the most violent person" you know?
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:47 am

Well I got this from a dog trainer not the dog whisperer from TV but a good trainer none the less as he is certified to train Guard dogs . Humans in a truly violent state secrete pheromones that dogs can pick up and act on. He says that a good guard dog can really smell a bad  or agitated guy over someone faking it as a test.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Blue Stranger

Blue Stranger

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:56 am

I believe that. I'm more doubtful about a dog's ability to smell a completely calm psychopath who's trying to charm you to conduct a premeditated offense.
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:17 am

Wouldn't know for sure my self just quoting the trainer. I have a cat ( Dinah )myself that I got as a kitten from the local animal shelter. She seems to be a excellent judge of character. I think it may be that any animal can see through a lot of human BS. I have done a sort of informal study on some of the things covered and believe that what a person is like and what they are capable of leaves a mark on them. Perceptive animals and some perceptive humans pick up on it no matter how much the person tries to hide it.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PhD Empty
PostSubject: Re: PhD   PhD Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

PhD
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: