Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Empty
PostSubject: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:32 am

I've found that carrying a rope might have been useful in several circumstances that I've gotten into. But those were admittedly weird circumstances and I should have thought ahead a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:38 am

I think you can never underestimate the value of good lighting, however you want to provide it. Hell, I'm an RLSH who wears sunglasses at night and trompses around in the woods and alleys to find homeless folks to help. Lighting becomes VERY important.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:48 am

Footwear:
One time when I patrolled with a good friend of mine, whose name I won't mention (Razorhwawk), he had on some new and un-tested boots which looked awesome, but were vocally uncomfortable. This was on the patrol of the University of MN campus looking out for serial muggers with Golden Valkyrie, Winter Kninght and Razorhawk and I. 

It was a great patrol, Golden Valkyrie's first (She's a sweetheart and brought us brownies), but don't let your patrol shoes get in your way.

Your footwear is of primary importance on patrol.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:55 am

Carry a First-Ad kit. They make a lot of available options, including if you go into a Kwik Trip or similar fast-gas station, a first-aid kit that can fit into your pocket. It's under $10.

I tend to carry a larger version, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:02 am

Flexible saw. You never know if you might need one.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:05 am

There is such a thing as a Universal Hand-Cuff key. I don't know why your or I might need it, but it works. I've tried it out out on random hand-cuffs. I have two. one on my key-chain and I'm not telling where else.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:09 am

Be flame-proof. There is a flame-retardant spray. But I don't want to mess up my new leather coat yet.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:21 am

Yes, I always carry "Smoke Chimmneys," They produce an unbelievable amount of smoke with no explosions at all. Now, my friend, The Eye, let's me know that I can get them without lighting a match. Look into that for cover and distraction. I always carry one.

But I've yet to use one for anything other than an exceptional photograph. Smile
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:26 am

Weapons: I will get into this more, because it's a sore spot with me about RLSHs posing for photos. Look up the laws in your own damned state and figure out what you can't carry on the streets.

If one RLSH gets in trouble in a mask with the wrong weapon for their state, they get us ALL in trouble.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:34 am

Vary what you cary

There is no universal utility belt. It all depends on what you plan to do.

Are you visiting a children's hospital? (And I hope something LIKE that might be part of your "Heroing.") Then you better not be taking that shit in there.

And change that up when you're on the streets or going down those dark alleys no one wants to go down, but you do.

Just keep it legal.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:36 am

Geist wrote:
Vary what you carry

Are you visiting a children's hospital? (And I hope something LIKE that might be part of your "Heroing.") Then you better not be taking that shit in there.

And change that up when you're on the streets or going down those dark alleys no one wants to go down, but you do.

Just keep it legal.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:49 am

Your area

I don't know where you are and what your situation is. Every city and locale has a different series of circumstances. When I travel I look up the local laws, obey the local laws and, most importantly, allow the RLSH who lives there call the shots.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:53 am

Avoid Tothian at all costs.

I can't tell you how manipulative, abusive and how invasive he is. He just called me pretending to be my second grade teacher based on something I once told him.

He means no one well and will stoop to no level to hurt you.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:16 am

Spurs

Initially suggested to me by my friend, Deaths Head Moth who sent me a drawing to flesh out my RLSH idea while I was a couple of years into the concept.

They're weird to wear, if you don't adjust them right uncomfortable. But completely legal in all states as far as I know. 

Anyone up for some kickbotsu?
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:18 am

Geist wrote:
Vary what you carry

Just keep it legal.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:26 am

Shut the F Up on patrol

You're meeting another RLSH, Old friends or new. Listen to the streets and what they say. Talking isn't bad. It drives away potential crimes, much the same as us in gaudy costumes does. But we also need to watch and listen. I'm thinking when I was distracted and Misery White spotted something across the street that I had on glanced at.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 am

Geist wrote:
Shut the F Up on patrol

You're meeting another RLSH, Old friends or new. Listen to the streets and what they say. Talking isn't bad. It drives away potential crimes, much the same as us in gaudy costumes does. But we also need to watch and listen. I'm thinking when I was distracted and Misery White spotted something across the street that I had only glanced at.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:44 am

Be weather Appropriate

A few of you have seen me sweat it out in California HOPE 2011
 I'm a Minnesota guy and felt like dying. Thanatos wanted to pour water on my head, even though I was still standing. He's smart and more trained than I know or will tell you.

The thing is, just don't dress in a long heavy coat to actively patrol Southern California.
The next year I went to HOPE 2012, I ditched the coat.

But Jack (Razorhawk) and I have also patrolled in what he told me was -40 degrees and I'm glad to have the coat then. Plenty glad.

Dress for success.

I'm keeping the nice story about patrolling with Citizen Prime for my book someday. Smile
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:56 am

Always defer to and respect Authorites

We might think we're the "Outsiders" and beyond justice, but we're not.
Call it in first if you possibly can. Do what you can to help until they arrive.
And you'd better damned be prepared to go to court as a witness.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:05 am

Natural Disaters

I got unlucky with this in my first year of doing this. We had a major natural disaster in southeastern Minnesota. I had money saved from selling portions of my comic book collection in my separate "Geist account" and I was prepared to react to it.

Watch the news. Pay attention to how you can help as an RLSH or otherwise. 

Shit happens and you're calling yourself a Real-Life Superhero. Then act like it.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:17 am

Freak occurrences
So one day, I hear the police scanner and they're talking about evacuating a town, St. Charles because of a fire and potential explosion. 

This is more documented and better told in Jonny Lupsha's book, "Penny Cavalier".

Basically, I took a loooong lunch, went home and threw on the Geist suit and went to the the fiery thing that was going on there. I've blogged about it and it's in the book.

You have to pay attention and react to things. You're a f-n "Superhero!"
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:23 am

Money

I suggest having a separate account that is just for your superhero activities. Add into it and withdraw as you see fit. It's not money to pay the rent or even to be considered. But when you tuck it away, little by little, it builds up and you can finally help someone else.
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:31 am

Watch the News
If you don't watch your local and even national news, you are irresponsible. You need to know what is going on and be able to react to it. 
As an RLSH, you cannot be ovlivious to what's going around you.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 am

Good tip on the long coat. It's been mentioned before how useful it is to have a cold-weather version of your gear, but a hot day can knock you on your ass if you're a Shadow/Rorschach/Question type, lol. The coat might look badass, but it'd pay off to invest in a hot weather version of your costume. At the very least it's another action figure to sell.  

Tothian is still creeping around? Man, that guy is in dire need of wall-to-wall counselling.
Back to top Go down
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:56 pm

These are EXCELLENT tips, Geist!! Keep up the good work and please continue to share this knowledge.

I encourage all others to participate who have advice and tips based on their real-world experiences.

Things are often VERY different when described as how they 'ought' to be, by one sharing theory, when compared to how things truly are by one who has been in the flames.

While I respect both... there is always something magical and deep about one who has been there and done that.

Please keep this going, guys!!

-Omen, "Heroes aren't made during good times!" - The Elite Forces Division
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other   Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Getting Better at What We Do -Tips for each other
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next