Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WannaCry Ransomware Attack

Go down 
AuthorMessage
omen

omen

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

WannaCry Ransomware Attack Empty
PostSubject: WannaCry Ransomware Attack   WannaCry Ransomware Attack Icon_minitime1Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 am

With the horrendous assault upon the cyber world currently taking place, I think we should look into encrypting, protecting, and securing this forum a little better. Presently, this forum is allowing non-encrypted authentication via HTTP:// instead of HTTPS://.

This means that our usernames and passwords traverse the internet in flat text.

It also appears that the SSL certificate (used for encryption) is either out of date of non-existent, hence the constant certificate errors that periodically pop-up while viewing the site. At this time, this forum a is PRIME honeypot for a ransomware script to be loaded on - there isn't much stopping it.

Superman appears to be a pretty strong IT pro, so I think his tech (super powers) would be a benefit in dealing with this challenge.

Would anybody happen to know who controls the site hosting, design, and maintenance? I know that Urban Avenger is the moderator, but I have NO idea, who owns or controls the updates to the site infrastructure. Does anyone know the last time patch files were loaded up to the site?

-Omen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WannaCry Ransomware Attack   WannaCry Ransomware Attack Icon_minitime1Thu May 18, 2017 5:33 am

Good thinking. I haven't been able to reach Urban Avenger at all; actually kinda worried about him. He usually shows up when he receives a message on here, but it's been weeks and weeks. Anyone hear from him lately?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WannaCry Ransomware Attack   WannaCry Ransomware Attack Icon_minitime1Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

ForuMotion owns this site and they are the ones who should be contacted. http://help.forumotion.com/

Urban is on Facebook and seems to be busy with other things.

As for how to protect yourself from WannaCry, It seems to target older Windows systems (especially XP). If you have Windows 10 you're pretty much safe. Avast I know can detect all known components of WannaCry (at this time) so you might want to look into getting that if you don't have a good antivirus. And update your Windows and install all security patches.

And always have backups of all your files on an external drive that's kept unattached to your PC. It will target external drives first to avoid detection for as long as possible. That way you can just reinstall Windows and put your files back. Avoid paying the ransom at all costs, you may not even get them back if you do, but they get the money.

https://blog.avast.com/wannacry-update-the-worst-ransomware-outbreak-in-history
https://www.cnet.com/news/wannacry-wannacrypt-uiwix-ransomware-everything-you-need-to-know/

This is something to definitely keep an eye on, as it looks like it can possibly become the worst case of cyber-crime in history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WannaCry Ransomware Attack   WannaCry Ransomware Attack Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1