Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Martial Arts?

Go down 
+10
Gray
SkyMan
dcguardian
Dark Patriot
Flora V. Arbor
Roswell
Dark Guardian
Prof. Midnight
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 pm

From all I have asked... Tae Kwon Do is pretty useless for becoming an rlsh... Zetaman does Aikido and he enjoys it immensly. Prof. Midninght, well he could just look at you and your ass would be grass!! Im thinking about Shaolin Kung Fu... as a base for becoming profficient in a martial art. My Gradfather was a Judo expert and protected McArthur on the beaches of the Phillipinnes. So who knows. Id really like to learn Bruce Lees Jeet Kun Doe in all honesty.

BTW, Arbor is a chic huh? Nice! We need more women in rlsh... but a landscaping martial artist? Thats freakin awesome!
Back to top Go down
Gray

Gray

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Well, chick and chic mean different things, not to say she isn't chic. But I think she's human, or possibly a tree person, and a master of shovel-fu.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 pm

I'll pas your comment about Tae Kwon Do to Master Don Park 3rd, Olympic champion in the 80's.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 pm

dcguardian wrote:
it's natural training too. . .the muscles are stronger in more realistic movements. . .

dc

Thank you.

It amazes me that landscaping became the place that I use the most of my martial arts training
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 pm

IronGhost wrote:
I would use KOREAN Tae Kwon Do, and blend in some Judo or Kenpo. Then through some Parkour training in, imagine that. you'd be one bad a$$ MF in a fight!

Yah. mixing is worth the effort
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm

IronGhost wrote:
I'll pas your comment about Tae Kwon Do to Master Don Park 3rd, Olympic champion in the 80's.

It is very easy to grab a tai kwon do practitioner's foot and ruin their ideas.

High kicks are not practical.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 pm

SkyMan wrote:
From all I have asked... Tae Kwon Do is pretty useless for becoming an rlsh... Zetaman does Aikido and he enjoys it immensly. Prof. Midninght, well he could just look at you and your ass would be grass!! Im thinking about Shaolin Kung Fu... as a base for becoming profficient in a martial art. My Gradfather was a Judo expert and protected McArthur on the beaches of the Phillipinnes. So who knows. Id really like to learn Bruce Lees Jeet Kun Doe in all honesty.

BTW, Arbor is a chic huh? Nice! We need more women in rlsh... but a landscaping martial artist? Thats freakin awesome!

I see that women are in the ranks and they seem to be smart, hard-working young ladies...make me proud.

Yasssss, I am feeeeemale.

More importantly, I think that I am the oldest one on the list

Wink

You kids make me proud!

I am an odd assortment of skills.

I could never figure what to do with myself until I saw
"Who wants to be a Superhero?".
Now, I make sense to myself and, hopefully to you-all.

I want Stan Lee to take my character ( Flora V. Arbor )
and make her into a GREAT GREEN HERO!

My landscaping tools are REALLY REALLLY dangerous.

Sometimes, another crew might be across the street from where I am working
and
might make rude remarks ( some cultures embrace mysogeny )
until I swing the pickaxe a few times.

...tends to shut people up pretty quickly

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 pm

...and, when I am not all dirty,
I can be quite chic in my old-fashioned way

Wink
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm

...and I am a TOTAL TREE-HUGGER!

Deforestation causes HUGE problems for humans and other vertabartes!

PLANT PLANT PLANT
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:51 am

Flora: Good tip as far as applying and perfecting technique through daily tasks. It may be very Karate Kid-esque, as someone else stated, but it is very good for training muscles for particular motions.

IronGhost: Not to nitpick the pros and cons of Tae Kwon Do, as I don't know much about the system. But, coming from a strictly logical standpoint, just because it is in the Olympics doesn't mean it's an effective fighting system for real world urban fighting applications
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 am

Actually no system is truly effective for fighting in urban situation, that is why I advocate the mixing of styles, and improvisation.
Back to top Go down
Dark Patriot

Dark Patriot

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

I trained in sport tae kwon do in the mid 90's. I had the kicks down no problem due to training when I was a kid. The issue was, they never used their hands. All strikes had to induce trembling shock, so they kicked, all the time. When I used hand / boxing techniques to counter, they were fish out of water. So y eah, mixing is best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:48 am

Well I have studied tae kwon do and tae bo
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I have a new DVD ( downloadable soon )
coming out called,

" Cardio Karate"

all simple
VERY cardio
50-50/hands-feet

circular and linear

I am a vessel of my teachers' knowledge
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Being an assistant coach for a MMA fight team, I can tell that my fighters rarely have problems in street fights. We use a combination of Muay Thai kickboxing, catch wrestling, boxing, and BJJ (in that order), but in reality the most important martial art is Sprinting. If you don't have any gas in the tank, you will lose the fight. Long distance running is fine for what it is, but real fights are short, brutal encounters often lasting under a minute, much like a sprint. Condition yourself to explode again and again in short bursts.

As far as the landscaping stuff, we have our guys use sledgehammers on tires to build punching power, core strength, and general fight conditioning. We also use sandbags, tractor tire flips, etc to build explosive strength.

That being said, Krav Maga or Combat Sambo are probably the best for actual street encounters where strategic retreat is impossible. Look into Kali for knife fighting as its quite popular with the special forces community.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 pm

I like cement for sledgehammers much better than rubber.

...too much bounce in the rubber

I agree that one MUST be training for SHORT, explosive fights
because that is, indeed, how they happen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 am

Good point on the bounce. We just can't afford that many cinderblocks. Another option is a rolled up carpet remnant duct taped in the center for indoor use/ deadstop training. It absorbs the shock of the hammer quite well. We get double duty out of the tire though since we also flip it. A good way to deaden the bounce is to use the flat of the hammer instead of the face.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 am

i like the carpet and, yah, we struggled to get enough cement

I just go to jobs or construction site to find pieces now
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:38 am

Yeah, I was about to say, I think swinging a sledge against solid concrete as part of a regular regiment would have to be hell on the shoulder joints. A tire or something to soften the impact would be advised.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:05 am

myeh, cartilage squishes no matter what
except for glucosamine products.

Bones respond to percussion by getting stronger

Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Finn & Flora, I really like your views on effective training and respect your collective knowledge. I would add that there really is no single most important training aspect when it comes to efficient patrolling. You must have the whole package in order to be truly effective while also being as safe as possible. Explosive power in a one-on-one encounter is essential. You need to finish fast so you can be on the lookout for other danger. But stamina is equally important for when you must fight multiple opponents. I have taught martial arts and counter ambush techniques(civilian, not military) to hundreds of patrollers over the years, and have personally patrolled for almost 24 years. Committing to being an rlsh requires training that an MMA fighter would not have time to complete, because they are busy focusing on training toward an entirely different goal. There are just many scenarios that an rlsh has to prepare that, hopefully, an MMA fighter will never experience. Please note that this post is specific to those rlsh who patrol to stop crimes. Those doing charity probably don't want to drop kick the denizens of the animal shelter they're trying to help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Krav Maga is a jewish/israeli inpsired self defense that is now being taught everywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:17 am

Gauge: I totally agree, hence my suggestion of Krav Maga and Combat Sambo for street encounters, but if MMA is the only thing in being offered in an area, I still suggest taking it over TKD or many TMAs. Our fighters have been lucky to not encounter a knife so far. If one could find an old school Vale Tudo instructor, that would be really good as well.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

here is a question to all the intense martial artists. . .the training for these are rough. . .there is no dought that they are for the most part effective. . .my question comes down to time. . .as time goes on. . .and life takes it's toll on you as a human being. . .can you still use the total art. . .as you age. . .and as you get your battle scars. . .how will you deal with the lost capability to use everything you've learned. . .the knowledge may be in your head. . .but your body may not be able to handle the punishment of it as time goes on. . .a broken arm will never be the "same" as it was before it was broken. . .a collar bone. . .a leg. . .what is your idea about dealing with injuries that accumulate over time and the art you're studying. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Finn,

I totally agree with you there. Any training that is available is better than nothing. My needs and resources are different than most as a patroller, but the citizenry at large is much better off if they have some form of defense training.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Martial Arts?   Which Martial Arts? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Which Martial Arts?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next