Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Accumulating Muscle without weights?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Accumulating Muscle without weights? Empty
PostSubject: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Thu May 14, 2009 4:01 pm

I suffer at times from lumbago (moderate to severe lower back pain) so it makes it very difficult for me to lift weights. Because of this, I have been left to doing minor things, such as lifting milk jugs filled with water, doing sit-ups, and the such.

Would anyone have tips or suggestions as to ways I could build up muscle mass without the need of lifting actual weights? Maybe things I can do around the house that would help?

Thanks,

Cicada
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 am

I've always liked Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff. He talks about practicing strength as a skill and he's the original Kettlebell instructor. I respect his stuff, it's interesting, and totally different then what I was taught as a personal trainer. He did a seminar for SWAT and I bought it when I got back from the Navy. I'll have to look it up to see if I can tell you what the title is.

Anyway, I think it's more useful for guys like us. You aren't necessarily looking for super strength, but you need the strength and endurance to do something repeatedly.

I personally use interval training mixed with weights. I do need to get back to Pavel stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:24 am

Do you have a towel? There are resistance training exercises you can do with just a towel, which will build muscle mass. Google [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and check out some of the links. Some of the exercises have to be done with weights, but others can be performed with just the towel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks Outcast, and Zen.

On a side note, Zen, I have been trying the shovelglove technique. Whooo boy, that gets intense after a while. Didn't realize at first that I wasn't supposed to do it for a long period of time. Great Stuff, though!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2009 11:04 am

I was in the middle of typing up my diet and workout plans when I got disconnected and couldnt be bothered going through it again. But basically I am more than happy to offer diet or workout tips to anyone and will even make up personal exercise plans based on each persons individual circumstances. I have 3 years experience in making PEP's and fitness instructing as well as my own experience in weight, cardio, mma and wrestling training. At the minute I am swamped with coursework and final exams so Im out of training for the next two to thre weeks so if anyone wants any help with diet or exercise plans please feel free to drop me a PM and il be glad to help out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 pm

The Cicada wrote:
Thanks Outcast, and Zen.

On a side note, Zen, I have been trying the shovelglove technique. Whooo boy, that gets intense after a while. Didn't realize at first that I wasn't supposed to do it for a long period of time. Great Stuff, though!

Awesome, Cicada.

I'll be adding Tai Chi to my routine starting this week, not for strength or muscle training, but for focus and muscle memory.
Back to top Go down
The Green Guardian

The Green Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Sun May 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Lately I've been using the "perfect push up" and its been doing pretty well so far. Good way to work the chest, shoulders, abs, biceps and triceps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Mon May 18, 2009 6:41 am

I have been doing push ups as well, but I try to do them on my knuckles, which will strengthen my wrists.
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2009 3:36 pm

The Green Guardian wrote:
Lately I've been using the "perfect push up" and its been doing pretty well so far. Good way to work the chest, shoulders, abs, biceps and triceps.

Are you talking about the little spinning-handled device? I used to have a set of those (lost them in the last move), and they really do work great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2009 4:58 pm

the crimson fist wrote:
The Green Guardian wrote:

Are you talking about the little spinning-handled device? I used to have a set of those (lost them in the last move), and they really do work great.

My only concern with them would be how much weight they'd support.
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Well, they're pretty sturdy little beasts. Luckily (since we're talking about pushups) if they break, you don't have very far to fall.

Unless you have really long arms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 pm

You can always try pilates.

I really don't know how else to gain muscle mass unless you use weights.

I might be able to give you better advice if I know more about your condition. Why do you have it? What in particular spurs it on? Is it acute? Is it chronic? Is it just lower back in general or more in the tail-bone section of your back?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

you cannot gain muscle mass unless you are engaged in resistance-oriented activities that causes the muscle to breakdown. if any exercise you're doing is easy resistance wise, then you will not gain muscle.

very simple formula:

resistance training + protein + rest = muscle
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I put this in another thread somewhere, but it relates here as well. A very good page to look at if you're limited on equipment when working out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accumulating Muscle without weights?   Accumulating Muscle without weights? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Accumulating Muscle without weights?
Page 1 of 1